Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 4, 2012, 11:01 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Motherboard Doesn't Support Resolution?

Hey guys,

I was just about to finish my build tomorrow when I read that my motherboard (P8Z68-V) doesn't support resolution beyond 1920x1200. My Catleap is 2560x1440. Am I screwed? Do I need a new mobo? If so, which ones support higher than 1200?

Thanks!
Old June 5, 2012, 05:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

no you can just use 1920 x 1080 will work for the screen to my knowledge
Old June 5, 2012, 05:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Did you buy a Graphics card?

If so the point is moot as you won't be using the board for the monitor anyway.
Old June 5, 2012, 06:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As noted, the reason it says the max resolution is 1920x1200 is likely because the motherboard uses a Single-Link DVI configuration. The CPU's integrated graphics (IGP) apparently supports your resolution, but only with DisplayPort (similar hack on a displayport by motherboard manufacturers) Quick Reference Guide to 3rd Generation Intel® Core
That limitation doesn't affect dedicated GPUs (e.g. nVidia and AMD graphics cards), so just use one of those and plug your monitor into the GPU and not the motherboard. (I assume you are buying a video card, as people normally don't buy quad-GPU capable motherboards to just get stuck with the IGP...)

As an additional note, make sure the cable attaching your monitor to the GPU supports that resolution (e.g. Dual-link DVI) or you'll get funky artifacts when using your computer.
Old June 5, 2012, 11:52 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I apologize guys. I didn't realize that the ratings were for onboard graphics. :D

I'm learning every day.

Thanks guys.