Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 9, 2012, 08:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Mass production for the mass sheeple uninformed consumers for the win.

Look at our computer monitor situation, it is almost identical.

But! Not to fear! ITS THREE DEE GAIS!!!!!
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old May 9, 2012, 09:22 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bao View Post
LG's 55" OLED is launching around september 2012. Only $8,000.
And don't think for a second that there won't be a bucket load of issues with OLED as well...
Old May 9, 2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
That's a $3500 LED TV? Man, that shit is definitely overrated.

Looks like I'm going Plasma.
Looks like I'm going the same way. I'll likely go with Panasonic's new 55" GT50. Their ST50 is one of the most highly rated sets so far in 2012 and the GT series allows for full ISF calibration so that may be my ticket to HD nirvana...
Old May 9, 2012, 09:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Enough with the toys, right? I'm currently rocking a 48" Samsung LED that's a few years old. It has no bells and whistles, but it doesn't have particularly good picture quality either. But it was cheap. I mainly run it off my HTPC to watch movies and TV shows.

If I want a webcam, I'll buy a webcam and put it on top of the TV (I did). If I want to change the channel, I'll use the remote. If I want to surf the web, I'll use my HTPC and a wireless mouse/keyboard to do so. I honestly don't give a damn about the toys they're putting on these TVs.

so, my next TV will definately be a plasma.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old May 9, 2012, 10:07 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bao View Post
LG's 55" OLED is launching around september 2012. Only $8,000.
God damnit.

Didn't Sony abandon OLED technology for the mass market though? (with the Vita being an exception?)

So it's only Samsung and LG even attempting it anymore? At least on a large scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Looks like I'm going the same way. I'll likely go with Panasonic's new 55" GT50. Their ST50 is one of the most highly rated sets so far in 2012 and the GT series allows for full ISF calibration so that may be my ticket to HD nirvana...
You know, that GT50 looked amazing until I saw 30-50ms lag comment somewhere. TV lag is pretty much a deal breaker for me. 16ms is the max.

Last edited by Jebusman; May 9, 2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old May 9, 2012, 10:22 AM
Allstar

As all the newer technologies puch into the market I more and more appreciate the 24" Toshiba CRT television in the bedroom
Old May 9, 2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebusman View Post
You know, that GT50 looked amazing until I saw 30-50ms lag comment somewhere. TV lag is pretty much a deal breaker for me. 16ms is the max.
That's still ultra low for a modern HDTV with signal processing enabled. Plus, wasn't that for the GT30?
Old May 9, 2012, 11:23 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
That's still ultra low for a modern HDTV with signal processing enabled. Plus, wasn't that for the GT30?
It's hard to say. I'm seeing people say it was better, I'm seeing people say it was worse, and I haven't seen a review yet with hard numbers about it. Although I'll admit I haven't looked hard.

The only reason I'm particular is that playing fighting games (Street Fighter, Marvel, etc) semi-seriously demands accuracy. 1 frame actually can mean the difference between landing your combo and winning (or catching your opponent after he messes his up), and losing (having the same done to you instead). Since SF4 runs at 60fps, math says 16ms is the cutoff. (1000/60, so I guess technically 16.6666666)

I get by playing on my monitor, but I would love to play the game on a larger screen without having to worry about the lag, while still getting all the niceness that these TVs offer for movie/actual TV watching.
Old May 11, 2012, 10:54 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Am I the only one who still wants proper panel uniformity on a TV that costs nearly four large?
I don't think you're the only one.

In our last home, I spent months previewing/demoing different TV's in our theatre room (we've since downsized ) and found the back-light bleed to be a major issue, so I ended up just spending a boatload more on finding a nice projector & screen setup.

I know the majority of consumers may not feel the same & will disagree with me, but I would rather pay more for a quality piece of consumer goods, in this case the television; than to throw the darn thing away every 3-4 years depending on MTBF.
Most people would rather pay $500-$1500 for a cheap poor quality piece than having it last many years. *shrug*

This doesn't help either...
Average HDTV Today Made to Last Only a Few Years

All in the name of making a few bucks extra. (via volume sales)

You know TV makers are having problems maintaining those profits now, because they diluted the market down so much with cheap electronics. (Sony, Samsung, LG come to mind)
Also facing mounting pressure from the low-priced start-ups like Vizio.
My suggestion, if they want to raise prices, fine then do so, BUT, for the love of Jebus, please put in some high quality parts into your goods! and do it within reason.

People will cry & moan, but people will still pay once the word gets out you offer some high quality kit.
You build it, they will come. (I'm looking at you Sony, Samsung, LG and anyone else whom I've missed!!!)
Just look at Apple.

Quote:
*** snip ***

Forgive my language but I don't give two shits about how thick the damn thing is, nor how many pointless features it has. Give me picture quality or you can take your 3D TV and cram it where the sun don't shine.

As you can tell, I'm in the market for a HDTV and I'm completely fed up with being taken for an idiot by the manufacturers.

Last edited by Grampa; May 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old May 11, 2012, 12:04 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa View Post
BUT, for the love of Jebus
Look, I've tried to convince them to stop making the cheap crap, but there's only so much a pretend-messiah can do.