Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 30, 2008, 05:35 PM
MVP

Hmmmm does anyone know if PS3 prices are gonna be dropping again anytime soon? Because the cheaper it is the better the chance I have of luring the pig into the catapult... But I have wanted a Hard Drive DVD recorder for a long time as the cable PVR's are still VERY expensive to me. It sucks to because there are games coming out for the PS3 that I really REALLY want to play and now the Idea of getting one is in my head... Anyone got a powerdrill I need it gone...
Old March 30, 2008, 05:47 PM
MVP

And my Cable box is not HD as when I got it I was still using the Tube TV and the extra money for the HD would have been pointless at the time. I have been looking at TIVO now that its in Canada but I don't know whether its compatible with Digital Cable... And as for Component cables for my wii is one just as good as the other despite the price difference? Damn I have to admit with component cables actually connected to a TV that can utilize them the picture quality is crazy... sad part is that makes me want to see what HDMI looks like even more... Would anyone say that HDMI blows Component out of the water?
Old March 30, 2008, 06:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwystedMonkey View Post
Hmmmm does anyone know if PS3 prices are gonna be dropping again anytime soon? Because the cheaper it is the better the chance I have of luring the pig into the catapult... But I have wanted a Hard Drive DVD recorder for a long time as the cable PVR's are still VERY expensive to me. It sucks to because there are games coming out for the PS3 that I really REALLY want to play and now the Idea of getting one is in my head... Anyone got a powerdrill I need it gone...
First off you have a much better chance of living if you dont use the word "pig"
I say grab a ps3
I have had 2 dvdrecorders in the last 4-5 years both wont work anymore back to a old vcr for recording and a divx dvd player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old March 30, 2008, 06:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Funny thing! i drug my big ass monster of a pc over to the tv to see if it was just the laptop that couldnt handle the tv, grabbed a dvi/vga adapter for the 8800gts plugged it in and lo, i got 1600x1200 maximum resolution on the tv, way better than the laptop, so i was thinkin damn, at least it wasnt the tv.... but then i fired up the laptop again an what do you know?? i got 1600x1200 maximum res on the laptop now?? I mean, i'm not complaining but wtf?? lol Anyway, twysted, you really gotta try out a game on your new tv!! i just had FSX going on mine an it looks phenominal! Good luck with the ol' lady and the ps3, i hope you had better luck than i did ;) lol no way in hell was she gonna let me get a ps3 after spending 2k on a tv... I did tell her my birthday was coming up though lol but that just got me rolly eyes.

on a side note... i did watch cradle 2 grave on it the other night, and i've seen the unit in high def with my xbox, and the dvd looked just fine, i didnt see any pixleation or horrible blury immigery on it at all.... you might want to just stop at walmart and pick up a ps3 for the weekend and see if its really worth it to go hd...and if you think its not so great, you could always return it ;)

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old March 30, 2008, 07:25 PM
MVP

Damn London Drugs has a HD DVD player for 150 bucks.... it plays regular DVD's as well so it would replace my current DVD player nicely and I could always be on the lookout for cheapo clearance HDDVD's cause they will be everywhere... But for 150 bucks its a better idea to get and HD DVD with HDMI out than some upconverting POS. Now if I can sell my TV Tuner I actually have something to spend the moolah on...
Old March 30, 2008, 09:36 PM
Top Prospect

Don't forget that HD-DVD is EOL now...

Old March 30, 2008, 09:46 PM
MVP

I know that makes it cheap though which is good heh. And the player I am looking at upconverts AND plays regular DVD's to so it will do me till Blu-ray drops a wee bit THEN i can also reuse the HDMI cable. heh just call me the budget technophile...
Old March 31, 2008, 06:54 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
And as for Component cables for my wii is one just as good as the other despite the price difference?
With composite cables (RCA) you will get 480i, with component you will get 480p. The picture will be sharper and the colours fuller.
Antec P180
BFG GTX 260 Core 216
Corsair HX-620
Thermaltake Power Express 250W
Raptor150, WD 500gb. WD 300GB
X-Fi Extreme Music
Old March 31, 2008, 06:56 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
I know that makes it cheap though which is good heh. And the player I am looking at upconverts AND plays regular DVD's to so it will do me till Blu-ray drops a wee bit THEN i can also reuse the HDMI cable. heh just call me the budget technophile...
You are missing out by not going with Hi-Def, an upgrade to an HD cable box usually isn't that expensive, maybe an extra $5.00 per month.
Antec P180
BFG GTX 260 Core 216
Corsair HX-620
Thermaltake Power Express 250W
Raptor150, WD 500gb. WD 300GB
X-Fi Extreme Music