Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Display Units (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/)
-   -   Anyone seen one of these ... (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/53198-anyone-seen-one-these.html)

NyteOwl April 9, 2012 05:41 PM

Anyone seen one of these ...

DoubleSight DS-307W

Doublesight.com

Looks almost identical in specs to the discontinued Samsung 305T+

Alderion April 9, 2012 06:31 PM

not very impressive results in the reviews I found. I wouldn't risk it.

lcdguy April 11, 2012 07:55 AM

honestly i would stick with a more reputable brand.

NEC, Dell, Samsung, etc.

NyteOwl April 11, 2012 12:32 PM

Not too many options in the 16:10 format of any size especially at affordable price points.

I should ahve gotten the 305T before Samsung caved in and stopped making larger 16:10 monitors.

lowfat April 11, 2012 12:44 PM

The 305T overheated a lot from what I've heard. Blowing caps as well as the Altera HC1S30F780NAE chip dying. I'd say you lucked out by not buying it. No idea if the DoubleSight uses the same chip. From my googling it looks like it doesn't.

NyteOwl April 11, 2012 04:31 PM

I'd not heard that. Oh well. The one (275T+) I'm using is nice, the larger real estate is always welcome though :)

I inquired of DoubleSight if they had a Canadian distributor and the rely was that yes and their product should be appearing at Newegg, Amazon, BestBuy and other retailers in Canada by months end. Maybe HWC can get a unit for review (hint hint) :whistle::biggrin:

NyteOwl November 13, 2012 10:35 AM

Just an update.

I can't find any formal reviews other than a brief user review that was rather positive.

I have discovered it uses the same LG panel that is used in the Dell and HP 30" displays.

It is also now available in Canada at a similar price point to Dell and HP: Amazon - $1500, Tigerdirect - $1700, Newegg - $1200.

SKYMTL November 13, 2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 619800)
The 305T overheated a lot from what I've heard. Blowing caps as well as the Altera HC1S30F780NAE chip dying. I'd say you lucked out by not buying it. No idea if the DoubleSight uses the same chip. From my googling it looks like it doesn't.

I have three 305T monitors sitting at home. Every one of them has seen extensive use and I haven't had a single issue.

Plus, there's no way this no-name turd will come close to the pre-calibrated sweetness of a 305T. :thumb:

BeaverBender November 13, 2012 12:06 PM

I agree, I have a 305T that I've used every day for years now and not single problem... and I just picked up another!

10e November 16, 2012 07:23 PM

Why not wait for the Dell U3011 to go on sale? It goes on sale for $1099.00 in good ole' Canada fairly regularly. It happened recently, and I would consider that a far better screen than the DoubleSight.

Samsung's 305T was an under-rated screen by FAR.

It had standard gamut panel, which is more usable than wide gamut IPS stuff with inaccurate colors outside of color managed apps. No white glow at close up and a much more sane anti-glare with a great in-between of glare reduction and graininess. It also was near the end of Samsung's S-PVA development cycle, so it had good pixel response time and low input lag (due to no scaler and requirement of dual-link DVI). Only dark on dark transitions showed a bit of smearing.

I may be wrong, but I don't remember the 305T blowing caps, it was the Gateway XHD3000, which used the same panel. There were numerous threads with instructions on replacing the caps for these in different forums.

Doublesight had a hit on their hands with the A-TW polarized DS-263 and then followed it up with a downgrade, the DS-265 which didn't have a properly working back-light control or A-TW polarizer, so it was using maximum power and giving minimum contrast. I'd probably avoid the 307w.