Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Display Units (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/)
-   -   How do you adjust your monitor (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/52985-how-do-you-adjust-your-monitor.html)

Bean Counter April 2, 2012 09:44 PM

How do you adjust your monitor

this question is primarily addressing desktop monitors. how do you adjust yours re:comfort level? straight up and down, tilted slightly up or tilted slightly down. also do you change the angle from when you're surfing the net as apposed to gaming. slightly is the key word.

Jake_HT April 2, 2012 09:54 PM

I have it perfectly vertical, and raised at the right height so I am looking dead center when I look straight.

Mars April 3, 2012 12:14 AM

I've got my eyes *just* above the top of my monitor. It actually feels like my eyes are quite a bit lower, the only reason I realized this is because I have a mirror behind my monitor that I can see my eyes in.

Monitor slightly tilted up, to get closer to perpendicular angle of vision to the center of the screen.

Some good links about ergonomics, including monitors:
Microsoft
US Department of Labour
ErgoCanada (I realize this site doesn't look great, but their info is good, and they're a Canadian company that I've had fantastic experiences with.)

Slik April 3, 2012 02:08 AM

A monitor is like hanging a picture. It should be placed at eye level, and not tilted.

Bean Counter April 3, 2012 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mars (Post 617337)
I've got my eyes *just* above the top of my monitor. It actually feels like my eyes are quite a bit lower, the only reason I realized this is because I have a mirror behind my monitor that I can see my eyes in.

Monitor slightly tilted up, to get closer to perpendicular angle of vision to the center of the screen.

Some good links about ergonomics, including monitors:
Microsoft
US Department of Labour
ErgoCanada (I realize this site doesn't look great, but their info is good, and they're a Canadian company that I've had fantastic experiences with.)

Mars...i read the links that you kindly provided. i, too view my monitor the same as you and find it very comfortatable. i practice the majority of suggestions that have been listed. Chair..check, desk check, keyboard check, mouse check, monitor position check. recently i downloaded Flex on my Dell XPS 720 which i use for just surfing the net etc. and i find it helps a great deal with eye strain\migraines. the only time i run into deep doodoo is when i'm gaming on my Dell XPS730X and am involved in a heavy-duty battle where the game is moving at high speed for a long period of time...mouse , keyboard, my body... the involuntary ducking\ jumping etc. :doh::rofl:

dandelioneater April 3, 2012 08:39 AM

Mine is wall mounted and the centre of the screen is positioned at eye level so I can keep my neck and shoulders upright and strait so that my posture doesn't get hunched up and make me look like a nerd.