Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 15, 2012, 11:54 PM
Rookie

Exclamation !?!?! Completely confused over LCD vs LED vs LED (w/ LED backlight) monitors...

Which one would be the best for gaming? I heard that LCDs don't last as long (colours dim within 3 years), and have more 'lag' time. LEDs have faster response time/less lag. Yet... LCDs have better picture quality than LEDs?

Well then......... clearly.. for gaming, I should steer towards an LED, correct?

But then... wth is an LCD monitor with LED backlight?? Is this a strange cross between an LCD and an LED monitor???

I just bought the ASUS VE247H LCD monitor, believing it was an LED monitor. T_T

Should I chose this LCD monitor w/ LED backlight over the other 2 choices!?! I REALLY don't want to drag a heavy monitor back to the store a 2nd time.. I somehow thing the salespeople are biased & would just try to make a quicksale, a third time... lol
Old March 16, 2012, 12:36 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

All the monitors are LCD.

LED is the type of backlight instead of cathods.

What you mainly want to look at are TN vs VA vs IPS panels with LED backlighting. Each have their own pros and cons.
Old March 16, 2012, 01:41 AM
Rookie

Hm, okay! How can I tell whether the ASUS VE247H monitor has a TN vs VA vs IPS panels with the LED backlighting? All of the limited labelling/printing on the box is not helping me!
Old March 16, 2012, 01:43 AM
Rookie

Newegg.com - ASUS VE247H Black 23.6" 2ms Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 300 cd/m2 10,000,000:1 (ASCR) doesn't help either D:
Old March 16, 2012, 02:13 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

That would be a TN panel, which has fast response time but poor viewing angles and not as good color reproduction.

VA panels have a slower response time but better contrast and color although they are know for poor viewing angles too.

IPS panels have slow response time but have the best color reproduction and great viewing angles but are more expensive.

TN is good if what you're going for is an affordable gaming monitor.
Old March 16, 2012, 04:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

A quick guide:

LCD = LCD w/ CCFL backlight
"LED" = LCD w/ white LED backlight
RGB/RGBY LED = LCD w/ red/green/blue/yellow LEDs backlight (only found in TV's currently)
OLED = OLED (not really out yet, super expensive)

The ASUS you linked will likely suit you just fine for gaming purposes. You only really need a VA/IPS if you're into photo/video editing where colour accuracy matters.
Old March 16, 2012, 05:32 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

OLED/Super AMOLED (supplemental) : Basically no backlighting, organic material changes color and emits it's own light with electric signal. Only found in cell phones so far. Sony abandoned the production of his OLED TVs because, as JD said, it's too expensive right now. Power cost is even less than standard LED.

Gameplay > Graphics ... oh wait

Food > Gameplay > Graphics > Movies > Sleep > Work
Old March 16, 2012, 11:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayoo View Post
OLED/Super AMOLED (supplemental) : Basically no backlighting, organic material changes color and emits it's own light with electric signal. Only found in cell phones so far. Sony abandoned the production of his OLED TVs because, as JD said, it's too expensive right now. Power cost is even less than standard LED.
But my Super AMOLED phone looks so nice.

Honestly my eyesight is not perfect and I have trouble distinguishing certain colours anyways so I just bought a decent LED TN panel. I wouldn't go with anything but LED especially if you pay your own electric bill because it will pay for itself over it's life in power saving.

Only go IPS if you have a hole burning in your pocket or if you can't stand tuning up your own monitor.
Old March 16, 2012, 12:03 PM
Rookie

Thumbs down

TY for all of the responses, lol xD

O god...... I have some issues w/ making decisions.. I feel there's always a 'right' one, and would feel guilty if I don't carefully consider everything............. @_@

I tried reading/watching many reviews: Problems range from dead pixels from day 1, to irritating ghosting (especially just in regular usage.. i.e. webpage browsing)....... and an annoying OD mode (one that you have to turn OFF again).

Pretty much an equal number of ppl say this monitor would be alright for gaming, but an eyesore for regular computer usage (i.e. webbrowsing etc)

You're all saying that it'll be okay for gaming! I just may stick with it :O
Old March 16, 2012, 01:19 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

it looks like a great monitor, only compalints I see about it is viewing angle being poor, but as long as you sitting infront of it and now laying down to watch a movie its good.