Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 16, 2012, 04:02 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

As far as longevity goes, I still use my first 19" LCD as a secondary display, my much newer 24" is already 4 years old, possibly 5, both still work great. I've had CRT ones die much quicker than that.
Old March 16, 2012, 04:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyphus View Post
TY for all of the responses, lol xD

O god...... I have some issues w/ making decisions.. I feel there's always a 'right' one, and would feel guilty if I don't carefully consider everything............. @_@

I tried reading/watching many reviews: Problems range from dead pixels from day 1, to irritating ghosting (especially just in regular usage.. i.e. webpage browsing)....... and an annoying OD mode (one that you have to turn OFF again).

Pretty much an equal number of ppl say this monitor would be alright for gaming, but an eyesore for regular computer usage (i.e. webbrowsing etc)

You're all saying that it'll be okay for gaming! I just may stick with it :O
The more you read, the less likely you'll buy something

I'm the same way, but lately have just avoided reading things and going with whatever I feel like!
Old April 1, 2012, 10:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

When reading reviews/comments, I like to read the bad ratings with a grain of salt. I try to understand if the user just got bad luck and got a defective unit, or if there are legitimate complaints. Often the positive reviews will have the pros and cons of the unit and often those are the most useful reviews if they discuss both the strength and the weakness at the same time. It shows the person has put at least a small amount of thought into their review.

I use 3x ASUS - Display- ASUS VE228H monitors and I am satisfied with them for gaming and every day use... I had to tweak the settings a lot to make them even close to as good as the E2320X - OVERVIEW | SAMSUNG , but on the flip side they were a lot cheaper AND use < 30W compared to ~45W (note, they still have the same resolution (pixel count) even though they are different sizes). So yeah, LED can have colour reproduction as good as LCD if you want to spend the money, but otherwise won't. The real big design win is the power consumption and they can be lighter/thinner (I think).
Old April 3, 2012, 11:37 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

OP, if you haven't bought yet, the Dell U2312HM is currently on sale for $199 with free shipping. It's a highly regarded entry-level 23" IPS display that would be *much* better than an ASUS TN. Also Dell has a no dead pixel guarantee, if you're worried about that.

DELL UltraSharp U2312HM 23-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor : Monitors: Flat Screen LCD Computer Displays | Dell Canada