Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1, 2012, 10:49 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I ordered a Catleap from red-cap and it was shipped out after 5 days but then arrived inn 2 days, so I was impressed. I have not had a change to use it yet, still setting up my new office.
Old April 4, 2012, 09:37 PM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Well I got my two Catleaps in. I had ordered two without speakers but they shipped me two with speakers. Not a big deal I guess.

They are still thin and light compared to my Samsung 275T+. So far Im pretty impressed with the screens. Images are clear and gaming I didnt notice any lag. I did a little bit of color calibration but they didnt seem to need to much done out of the box. Im finding in games in darker areas that they didnt display darkness as well as the 275T but with color the Catleaps do better. So far Im noticing that both are slightly brighter on the left side for some reason, must be the backlighting. I also found one dead pixel on the left side on both screens.

Only played with these monitors for a couple hours now so I will have to play around with them some more. For just over $350 I really cant complain, its a good buy. Pay for what you get I guess.
Old April 17, 2012, 06:03 PM
Rookie

There is a thread over @ overclockers.net about ordering more 100hz models. :|
Old April 20, 2012, 09:26 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibz View Post
Whats you're opinions of the Achieva 10e? You seem to be quite the monitor connoisseur so maybe you can help give a more in depth review of these panels.
Sorry jibz, I've been busy house hunting with the wife and haven't had much time for the fun stuff.

My impression of the Achieva is positive in general.

Pros:

1) Excellent brightness and color uniformity. Apparently these are A- panels (versus A panels sold to Dell and Apple) but the uniformity is top-notch, and better than my Samsung S27A850D which cost twice as much and is also good.

2) Zero input lag, or barely any

3) Decent response time though it appears there isn't any RTC/acceleration/overdrive

4) No LED flicker.

5) Huge back-light range from stupid bright to very dark

6) Pretty good brightness and black levels over-all

Here's the explanation about 4) LED flicker. Hopefully it's not too long.

LED back-light monitors can have flicker issues. With both LED and CCFL based screens, PWM is used to lower brightness below 100%.

This usually means that the back-light is quickly toggled on-off to achieve a lower brightness than 100%. With CCFL this wasn't usually a big deal because the fluorescent back-light took some time to turn off meaning there was very little flicker. With LEDs being much faster to respond than CCFL, at certain brightness levels flicker can result because of the speed that they are turned on and off. For some people it is a pain to deal with because it's usually worst with white or bright backgrounds and can cause eyestrain. With the Achieva and presumably the Catleap, Crossover or any other screen with this panel, this won't be an issue. It seems like the PWM is properly adjusted and there's not irritating flicker.

In their case the PWM cycle is likely faster than many other LED back-lit monitors (like the Dell U2412M or BenQ XL2420T for example) and there's no issue.

Cons:

1) Mine had one stuck pixel at the top about an inch from the bezel

2) The bezel at the top "sagged" hiding a few pixels in the middle. I removed it and fixed it fairly easily

3) Stand is ok, but no height adjustment

4) Buttons on the back. Five or six buttons but only three work: Power, Brightness + and Brightness -

5) DVI port is indented and a bit of a pain to reach.

For the $405.00 I paid for it, I'm very happy. I was also fortunate I received a good working unit as did you. Shipping a monitor back and forth from Korea is painful.

But at least I didn't have to pay the Ontario ECO-Tax AGAIN lol.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old April 26, 2012, 12:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Sure glad I found the various threads on these monitors. Ordered a Crossover on Monday afternoon from dcsamsungmall and it arrived today! No stuck/dead pixels (thank god) and it looks amazing. Decided to go with the Crossover because of the higher quality stand (very similar to the Dell stands that come with Ultrasharps) and build quality.

$21 duty/brokerage/whatever fee through Fedex, although I was expecting that after seeing someone else's report earlier in the thread. I've had worse brokerage fees from UPS on a $100 item though so I don't mind a bit!
Old April 26, 2012, 05:36 PM
Allstar

Man, don't get me started on brokerage fees from UPS. It's costing me over $40 of brokerage fees, plus $20 shipping for 2 tubes (audio) which cost a total of $60. I swear it's a scam.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old June 8, 2012, 08:01 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aix View Post
Sure glad I found the various threads on these monitors. Ordered a Crossover on Monday afternoon from dcsamsungmall and it arrived today! No stuck/dead pixels (thank god) and it looks amazing. Decided to go with the Crossover because of the higher quality stand (very similar to the Dell stands that come with Ultrasharps) and build quality.

$21 duty/brokerage/whatever fee through Fedex, although I was expecting that after seeing someone else's report earlier in the thread. I've had worse brokerage fees from UPS on a $100 item though so I don't mind a bit!

Crossover? Is this the same company selling the Catleaps?

I see one on Ebay, but no mention of any connection between the two...
Old June 15, 2012, 11:31 PM
Rookie

I got the Catleap monitor about 2 months ago. Ordered from dcsamsungmall and it arrived in Vancouver in 2 days. No bad pixels! There is a bit of light bleed on the lower corners but I can live with that. The stand was very wobbly so I mounted it on the Ergotron MX wall mount. It is perfect now! Although the plasic arc piece on the back was a bit of a hassle to remove. Very happy with this ~$350 purchase.

Old July 26, 2012, 07:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

New ACHIEVA Shimian QH270-Lite 27" WQHD LED HD DVI 2560 x 1440 Computer Monitor | eBay

I got the Shimian. Perfect screen, shipped in 3 business days Via DHL (Had to pay $41 in customs and taxes). Its got Vesa mounts on the back, its a great screen!!!

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old August 10, 2012, 01:10 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I am glad that globalization started hitting Apple and Dell in the nuts. It is used to be only the average working folk problem before. I am curious how long before corporations will bribe our goverment to stop foreign retail trade.
Intel i7-3770
Kingstone HyperX 2 x 8GB
Crucial M4 256GB + 128 GB
Sapphire Radeon HD7970
Nec Multisync LCD2690WUXI