Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 8, 2012, 01:30 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Mine was shipped via DHL. I only paid $14. I asked them to declare the value at $25.
Old October 8, 2012, 06:03 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Which seller did you arrange that with?
Old October 9, 2012, 07:11 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedShackley View Post
But I don't think it there was customs duty, that sound like just HST (or PST+GST) and then courier fee, I'm going to call customs to check for sure, the fedex girl didn't know
That is what duty is. Taxes plus a brokerage fee.
Old October 9, 2012, 02:01 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
No it's not, and in Canada "Computer monitors are 0% duty rated, regardless of the country of manufacture"
Old October 9, 2012, 02:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
No it's not, and in Canada "Computer monitors are 0% duty rated, regardless of the country of manufacture"
Importing by Mail

I couldnt find anything about your 0% taxes, and would love to see an official link so I can dispute my duty claim, but according to the border services site imports to Ontario (and any where else that has HST for that matter):

Importing by Mail

Last I checked, you, me and everyone else paid taxes. Hell, even with 'free trade', we still pay the taxes.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old October 9, 2012, 03:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Importing by Mail

I couldnt find anything about your 0% taxes, and would love to see an official link so I can dispute my duty claim, but according to the border services site imports to Ontario (and any where else that has HST for that matter):

Importing by Mail

Last I checked, you, me and everyone else paid taxes. Hell, even with 'free trade', we still pay the taxes.
I stand to be corrected but I believe there's a misunderstanding between what a tax is, and what a duty is.

A sales tax is applied to all eligable products sold to a resident of a particular province + GST for the feds. AFAIK even in cases where the seller doesn't charge PST / GST / HST, the purchaser is still legally responsible to report the purchase and then pay the appropriate sales tax after the fact regardless of where the product was purchased.

A "Duty" is a completely different ball of wax and is primarily a border fee applied to goods manufactured outside of the country in order to protect homegrown industries. A case in point would be the grandfather clock we brought back from Germany... we didn't have to pay duty on it because we'd owned it for longer than a year prior to importing it to canada, but if we hadn't then a full %100 "duty" would have been applied to the value of the cabinet. (Apparently we've got an important cabinet industry in Canada.... ;) ).

Brokerage fees again are a completely different thing... those have nothing to do with the government other than the fact that it's the fee charged by the shipper to complete the documentation required to import the goods, as well as any temporary storage required while it's clearing customs. The government doesn't get a penny of "brokerage fees"

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 9, 2012, 03:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The price is crazy for the monitor but i would not get it for a few reasons:

1: If they put it at this price,I would not be sure of the quality,even if it's 0% taxed
2:high res like that destroys your FPS when a 1080p screen is just fine and the image quality is not that worse with AA.
3:I'm not sure that the colors are accurate..
Old October 9, 2012, 04:01 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

How can I convince you otherwise? Everyone I that I know and have convinced to buy a Korean monitor has been super impressed at the quality per $ that these Korean monitors have to offer.

#1 - Do you notice the quality difference buying name brands at Winners vs at regular department stores? Similar concept applies. You get a slightly lower graded panel at a vastly reduced cost. Most people won't notice a difference.

#2 - Run it at half res if you want FPS, or get a better video card. Better yet, disable AA. I stopped messing with AA because frankly I don't notice jaggies at this high PPI when I'm running through a map, or ducking for cover. Maybe I would care about AA if all I did was run Unigene Heaven bench or stare at trees in Crysis. I actually wish more review sites would bench WITHOUT AA because there are people who don't care for it.

#3 - That's a risk for every single LCD. Buy a colorimeter if accuracy is important. The benefit of these is that you don't need to wait 15 min for a CCFL backlight to warm up and stay consistent. If you argue about lack of OSD and color temp profiles, I will point you towards any of the classic 30" offerings like the Dell 3007WFP or Apple Cinema 30" and 27" which have only brightness controls. Brightness control only + a colorimeter hasn't prevented people from obtaining accurate colours in the past.
Old October 9, 2012, 05:35 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Maybe,i need to see reviews,but yea,i can ajust resolution to 1080p.. I just need to know if the quality is here..
Old October 9, 2012, 06:07 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

My Yamakazi Catleap from Korea that I got when this thread first popped up by far the best monitor I've ever used.

The stand Doesn't adjust and the bezel is just plastic but the panel is by far the best color reproduction, no stuck pixels, no bright spots and minimal/unnoticeable backlight bleed.

If you were to pick it up and shake it, ofcourse it doesn't feel like a Samsung or Dell. But I am very very very pleased with the Q270 panel monitors. I would describe my old Samsung VA panels as 'muted' in comparison.