Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 19, 2012, 10:22 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Monitor hiss?

So my one old monitor which is an LG Flatron L222WT started hissing(kinda like the sound a gas stove top makes when it's on but not lit) about a week ago. The hiss only happens when the monitor is powered on and stops once I hit the power button to turn it off. I haven't noticed any flickering or discoloration or anything to say that the monitor isn't functioning properly other than the hissing. Anyone know what may be causing the hissing sound? I was planing on getting a new monitor but not for another 3 months.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old February 23, 2012, 08:00 PM
Rookie

Over time the capacitors that supply power to the light degrade (thank china) and cause the AC to not be filtered properly so you may hear a 50-60 cycle hum.

I'm just guessing tho.
Old February 23, 2012, 08:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

dont be surprised if it dies
then just replace the caps on psu

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Old February 25, 2012, 05:25 PM
Top Prospect

The flickering at startup is the key. The Capacitors need replacing. The top of the cans will be domed, so it's easy to tell which ones need replacing. When ordering new ones, you should replace them with ones of a slightly higher voltage. This way they will never need replacing again.

Digikey is good place to order them look for Panasonic ones. total cost will be about $5.00.
Old February 25, 2012, 05:34 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Snakes on the ground plane no doubt.
Old February 25, 2012, 07:51 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
The flickering at startup is the key. The Capacitors need replacing. The top of the cans will be domed, so it's easy to tell which ones need replacing. When ordering new ones, you should replace them with ones of a slightly higher voltage. This way they will never need replacing again.

Digikey is good place to order them look for Panasonic ones. total cost will be about $5.00.
The thing is that it's not flickering at all it's just hissing loudly. There are no problems I can tell other than the hissing. No smell of burn electronics no fade of the screen. I guess it's giving me advance notice it's time to get a matching set of monitors. This one is about 4 and a half years old and it was a display model at futureshop so I got it super cheap while my Philips monitor is only a year old. So I guess I should really be asking now what monitor should I get?

My requirements are it must have at least 3 inputs preferably VGA, DVI, HDMI(or DVI) must be 1080p and must be approx 24" I don't want smaller and my current desk can't hold much larger but I'm open to suggestions.

Here's a monitor I was looking at earlier. ASUS VE247H 23.6IN Widescreen LED LCD Monitor 1920X1080 2MS 10M1DC HDMI DVI-D VGA Speakers - ASUS - VE247H

Old February 25, 2012, 08:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

light tube inverter coil leaking output voltage thats the sound your hearing . don't open an touch anything while on, for the output is 1~2 kilovolt'S
Old February 25, 2012, 09:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I have that Asus VE247H monitor at work, replaced my Samsung 245T when the caps blew. I'm really not happy with it. The color is horrible right out of the box, everything has a yellowish tinge.
Old February 25, 2012, 11:39 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I have that Asus VE247H monitor at work, replaced my Samsung 245T when the caps blew. I'm really not happy with it. The color is horrible right out of the box, everything has a yellowish tinge.
Doesn't the monitor have adjustment settings? If it always has a yellow tinge what monitor do you recommend that meets my requirements?