Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 29, 2012, 06:14 PM
Rookie

Default Yet another HDMI connection question

So i have yet another problem with not being able to watch stuff on my laptop on my TV. I have an Asus X53U and I'm running an HDMI to my receiver. Its a new Yamaha HTR-2064. From that I have it hooked up to my TV from and HDMI to DVI hookup. My TV is an LG RM-32LZ50. When I restart my laptop I can see the Windows load up but after that I can't get any picture. When I first got the laptop I had to fool around with it for abit to get it working. Afterwards I did an Asus update to update the drivers and it stopped working. I've tried everything I've read that people have suggested even tried system restore and I didn't have an early enough backup. I'd really like to get this working as I'm using my old laptop hooked up with S-video cable to watch Netflix and it pretty poor quality. Another problem I'm having is my cable box and laptop are hooked up to my receiver with HDMI cables and I can't get any sound through them. I need to hook up RCA cables to get sound but as I understand I should be able to get it just from HDMI cables and that's it. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is getting kind of annoying and I bought a new laptop just for thew HDMI port.
Old January 29, 2012, 06:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It sounds like a HDCP issue. My guess is that the TV doesn't support it, and using DVI-to-HDMI to connect the TV to Receiver doesn't help the cause.

My guess would be that buying a new TV would fix things. Not like a 32" LCD TV is overly expensive these days and I bet it would blow you away with picture quality compared to a LCD TV from 2005.
Old January 31, 2012, 02:18 PM
Rookie

Well spent the last of my spending money for now on the laptop lol. And it was working before I did the update just couldn't restore my comp to an earlier time. I was just wondering if anyone knew a solution because the picture quality was amazing through HDMI. Cant wait to have it working again. On a separate note anyone know how to fix the sound issue? Neither cable box nor computer have sound through HDMI on my receiver. I tried every option but till no sound.
Old January 31, 2012, 02:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

1) Audio from laptop to receiver you'll need to make sure your audio settings is using the HDMI out not the soundcard
2) Cable box sounds like a setting you haven't enabled. Which cable box you got?
3) Have you hooked up a monitor aside from your tv to your laptop to see if it would work?
Old February 1, 2012, 09:00 AM
Rookie

Well just got a new cable box and still no sound so it HAS to be an issue with the receiver. As for the the TV it worked as a monitor its just since I updated the ASUS drivers that it wont work. I just can't system restore to a time before i did the update. ASUS has an autodownloader app kinda like windows for the updates. After I installed the new drivers i didnt try to hook it up for awhile then when i did and found the TV wasnt working again and it was too late. There were too many restore points and none were before the update. When i restart the laptop i see the windows screen load it just once i login to my laptop that itll just go black
Old February 1, 2012, 09:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogren View Post
Well just got a new cable box and still no sound so it HAS to be an issue with the receiver. As for the the TV it worked as a monitor its just since I updated the ASUS drivers that it wont work. I just can't system restore to a time before i did the update. ASUS has an autodownloader app kinda like windows for the updates. After I installed the new drivers i didnt try to hook it up for awhile then when i did and found the TV wasnt working again and it was too late. There were too many restore points and none were before the update. When i restart the laptop i see the windows screen load it just once i login to my laptop that itll just go black
Thanks for repeating back what you already said a couple of times.

Did you attempt any of what I suggested?
Old February 1, 2012, 01:03 PM
Rookie

I do not have another monitor to hook up my laptop to sorry. Other then that I've looked everywhere on the receiver and i see nothing that allows HMDI sound to be turned on. Everything seems like it's turned on. The cable box is set to HDMI out until I hooked up the RCA cables to actually get sound.
Old February 1, 2012, 01:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogren View Post
I do not have another monitor to hook up my laptop to sorry. Other then that I've looked everywhere on the receiver and i see nothing that allows HMDI sound to be turned on. Everything seems like it's turned on. The cable box is set to HDMI out until I hooked up the RCA cables to actually get sound.
Does your laptop have a dvi/vga connector on it? It should. Use that type of cable to hook up to your tv and see if you get video.

Also try the HDMI cable but see if you can boot into Safe Mode.
Old February 1, 2012, 01:33 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

try setting it up in control panel as another screen and play your movies on that screen
Old February 1, 2012, 05:04 PM
Rookie

Ok well restarted it in safe mode it booted up and worked fine. Restarted again normally and works all of a sudden. I still don't have sound though