Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Display Units (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/)
-   -   Couple questions about my new monitor (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/50188-couple-questions-about-my-new-monitor.html)

Blu January 7, 2012 08:07 AM

Couple questions about my new monitor

I just bought a new monitor from NCIX on boxing day, the 23" samsung LCD LED one and I just have a few questions.

I've been on a 17" for the last 10 or so years, will a 23" be a big difference? I see the box and it's huge.

Can I just basically unplug my VGA port from this monitor and leave my pc on while I swap? Or should I run DVI? Is one better then the other for picture, lag and such?

My resolution has been 1024x768 for the last ten years, think I'll need to upgrade?

Also just a random question if I wanted to could I set it up to make it sorta two mini monitors in one? Just an example all of my icons on the left side and all my putty sessions on the right side?

If you could answer these that would be great :) hope you all had good holidays.

Shadowmeph January 7, 2012 10:06 AM

Well the DVI will give you a real noticeable \better detail and Resolution. as for the to monitor idea it would be more like two desktops side by side, personally I would just use the new monitor and see how you like it.
As a general rule when ever you are adding new hardware ( except for USB , cat cables ( internet plugin) Items) it is usually a good idea to shut down your PC and then connect the item.

KaptCrunch January 7, 2012 10:28 AM

Samsung S23A300B 23IN Widescreen LCD Monitor LED Backlit 1920X1080 5ms 250CD/M2 5M:1DC DVI VGA Black

your moniter supports 1080 rez yes best use the DVI and plug it in the primary port of video card if has 2 connection

or you only have a vga connection on MB ? use vga to dvi adapter (if so best get a video card that supports 1080)

Blu January 7, 2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaptCrunch (Post 587677)
Samsung S23A300B 23IN Widescreen LCD Monitor LED Backlit 1920X1080 5ms 250CD/M2 5M:1DC DVI VGA Black

your moniter supports 1080 rez yes best use the DVI and plug it in the primary port of video card if has 2 connection

or you only have a vga connection on MB ? use vga to dvi adapter (if so best get a video card that supports 1080)

I've got a 260GTX And currently use the DVI to VGA converter so I should take that off right? Am I ok with a gtx 260?

Also is this a nice monitor or is it crappy? I just seen LED and mainly got it cause I've sorta heard alot of people talking about how good the LED monitors are now a days...

chewbroccoli January 7, 2012 11:36 AM

if I were you I'd plug it in with VGA then switch to DVI so you see the difference yourself. (I saw the difference but I know other people who haven't) then you'll know for yourself in the future.

I have a GTX280 and it runs anything I've thrown at it fine at 1920x1200.

enaberif January 7, 2012 11:40 AM

There is gonna be a huge adjustment for you.

First the screen size will be different which will warrant complaints
Second will be the brightness which will burn your eyeballs and warrant more complaints

Once your used to it tho you will like it

Personally tho 23" monitors are a waste and should have gotten a good 22 or 24 inch

Supergrover January 7, 2012 11:46 AM

Yes connect both the monitors, IMO I would use the 23 as my main display and use the older 17 as a secondary display for icons, IM's, temp programs ect.
Once you go multi monitor it is hard to go back to 1 IMO, even with a 27 I still use my old 22 for a secondary it is just too useful.

KaptCrunch January 7, 2012 12:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chewbroccoli (Post 587690)
if I were you I'd plug it in with VGA then switch to DVI so you see the difference yourself. (I saw the difference but I know other people who haven't) then you'll know for yourself in the future.

I have a GTX280 and it runs anything I've thrown at it fine at 1920x1200.

yes moniter best use a DVI cable DVI to video card primary port as you don't have vga port so no need for adapter

Shadowmeph January 7, 2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supergrover (Post 587695)
Yes connect both the monitors, IMO I would use the 23 as my main display and use the older 17 as a secondary display for icons, IM's, temp programs ect.
Once you go multi monitor it is hard to go back to 1 IMO, even with a 27 I still use my old 22 for a secondary it is just too useful.

I never thought about that using as secondary monitor for display for icons, IM's, temp programs.
Now if I could just figure out why my 22" monitor quit on my I would use that.

KaptCrunch January 7, 2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowmeph (Post 587703)
I never thought about that using as secondary monitor for display for icons, IM's, temp programs.
Now if I could just figure out why my 22" monitor quit on my I would use that.

22" what CRT or LCD

crt: the flyback died

lcd: bad caps, CCFL died, inverter,
can use a flash light on screen to see if image there, means back light not working