Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 13, 2011, 11:28 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpty D View Post
Plasma? Your joking right? Hope so.

3D is at the flick of a switch it doesn't run at all times. Use it when you want it.

I'm going LED of course. The sets they have out now are incredible & the prices are more than reasonable. I have a new found buddy that works at visions who's going to hook me up. Amazing what can happen when 2 guys have gone down the same path in life. He did the exact same thing I have & his buddy is now doing.

10k where do you see those going for that? I'm spending about $3500 prolly & that will get me an excellent non grainy 70" viewed from roughly 15ft. I'm not needing anything space age futuristic out in 4 yrs. it's just got to be decent enough to compliment the room.
Joking? Nope.

Plasma is still king over LCD/LED any day of the week. Panasonic Plasma has come in 1st and 2nd for best picture last year. GT or VT models.

LCD/LED tech is still catching up.

Do your research.
Old December 14, 2011, 05:47 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonanza2000 View Post
What's the deal with 4K sets?
A resolution of 4096 x 2304 or thereabouts instead of 1920 x 1080.

Quote:
Plasma? Your joking right? Hope so.

3D is at the flick of a switch it doesn't run at all times. Use it when you want it.

I'm going LED of course. The sets they have out now are incredible & the prices are more than reasonable. I have a new found buddy that works at visions who's going to hook me up. Amazing what can happen when 2 guys have gone down the same path in life. He did the exact same thing I have & his buddy is now doing.
I would highly recommend against going LED. There are far too many issues with the sets currently. Check any review site and you'll see that even the very top LED TVs have picture and panel quality issues. Backlight bleed, flashlighting, rainbowing, poor uniformity, lackluster motion performance and problems processing 1080p30 content are all hallmarks of this generation's LED sets.

If you friend is going to "hook you up", he'd do so with a plasma rather than LED. Sure, plasmas have their own set of issues but for the most part, picture quality and 3D reproduction is vastly superior to LED.

Quote:
10k where do you see those going for that? I'm spending about $3500 prolly & that will get me an excellent non grainy 70" viewed from roughly 15ft. I'm not needing anything space age futuristic out in 4 yrs. it's just got to be decent enough to compliment the room.
70" from 15 feet away will cause a serious degradation in perceptible picture quality. If you are sitting 15 feet away, I would recommend nothing more than 55-60".
Old December 14, 2011, 05:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'd recommend actually going to a store that isn't Best Buy/Futureshop (they use biased lighting to make the screens look better) and actually look and see for yourself. It'll be quite obvious that most mid range to upper tier plasmas ($1000-$3000ish) absolutely demolish EVERY LCD/LED below $5000.
Old December 14, 2011, 06:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

LED tvs are a joke right now.
Apparently even without using the 3d the tvs are better in picture quality.

I think my cheap 46" lcd tv looks better than my parents expensive 58" plasma.

Oh and plasma glare sucks ass
Old December 14, 2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I think my cheap 46" lcd tv looks better than my parents expensive 58" plasma.

Oh and plasma glare sucks ass
Many of the new plasma TVs (Panasonic's excellent GT and VT series are a good example) don't have nearly as much glare as previous generations.

Ad you may have a good LCD while your parents may have a shitty plasma.
Old December 14, 2011, 08:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Many of the new plasma TVs (Panasonic's excellent GT and VT series are a good example) don't have nearly as much glare as previous generations.

Ad you may have a good LCD while your parents may have a shitty plasma.

some of the better panasonics have minimal glare

after goin plasma i'd never buy an led/lcd

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Old December 15, 2011, 12:43 PM
Rookie

I can actually buy my roomies 55" plasma quite cheap but it's an older model not sure of # cause I'm away at work atm. But when we switch to comp mode on the tv we can't leave it there to long before playing a movie/game or it'll have burn in issues. Do the newer plasmas do this?

I had all intentions to buy his cause he wanted an LED but the burn in issue stopped me.
Old December 15, 2011, 11:31 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Newer Plasma's have pixel orbiter tech that combats burn in. So long as you correcting do your 100/150 break in you should have no issues. I've abused my Panny plasma with 12hour gaming sessions, no burn in, just some "image retention" that washed out.

Break in, 100/150 hours of full screen, no static images on low contrast. Allows the 'phosphors' to 'harden' making them burn in resistant.
Old December 16, 2011, 08:34 AM
Rookie

Awesome I'll check those out then. Any specific plasma I should look for? Highest quality ofc but any certain Hz?
Old December 16, 2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Awesome I'll check those out then. Any specific plasma I should look for? Highest quality ofc but any certain Hz?
Currently, the Panasonic VT and GT series is the way to go IMO. The Samsung 8000-series is supposed to be pretty good as well.

Model numbers:

50-55:
TCP55GT30
TCP55VT30
PN51D8000

60"+++
TCP60GT30
TCP65GT30
TCP65VT30
PN64D8000