Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2011, 06:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Tossin around an idea(eyefinity)

Ok here's the scoop! I've been hunting around for 18-19 inch monitors with 16x10 to 1080p resolutions to build an in expensive eyefinity setup. Mainly I don't wanna use up ALL my desktop and I wanted to do the 6 display setup too.

Couple things I don't know for sure:

6 displays means the crosshair goes into the bezel. Can the bezel be removed from LCD monitors? Can I rebuild the bezel and make it smaller? Maybe 9 monitors would do the trick? Is that even possible?

What are the 2 best choices for monitors of that size? I'd like to keep the GTG timing low as possible 2 would be great but if 5ms is all I can get than it should be fine.

TIA!
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old December 2, 2011, 11:52 AM
F@H

My System Specs

First of all I don't know/think 9 monitor gaming is supported in any game. Hell a lot of games seem to have problems running properly in 3 monitors even. There are a lot of games that say they support eyefinity/surround, but still have menu or HUD issues.

The thing you have to know about eyefinity/surround is that it looks great when it works, however it can be very frustrating when it half or only partially works. There are probably only a handful games out there that actually properly support 3 monitor gaming without any hiccups or ini edits. After that you can deal with games that may support the resolution, but have say their menus, their HUDs, etc that are skewed making the game either unplayable or makes it a lot more difficult to play. Imagine playing a game where you need to monitor your health quite a bit (DA2 on hard/insane), now move all the important information such as your health off into the far left corner of your left monitor. You would have to glance away from the combat quite a bit to make sure you or no one else is going to die. Finally there are the games that have little to no support, leaving you to game hopefully on your centre monitor, but there have been some that'll load in whatever damn monitor they want. Another example was playing BF3 without any HUD info whatesoever, I could not tell who was and wasn't on my team. This lead to an hour of frustration, lots of team kills and lots of deaths because I stopped for a second to figure out if they were on my team or not. I don't even think they've worked out all the bugs for eyefinity/surround in BF3 yet still, and quite a few FPS games have little to no support in this.

You can do bezel compensation with eyefinity which may allow you to move the crosshairs so that you can see them, though unless you plan on using it for flight sims or racing games, you will be greatly disappointed by the lack of FPS games that even properly support 3 monitors, let alone 6.