Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 1, 2011, 06:12 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default IGP and monitor seize

I got a question concerning what seize/resolution can be pushed by and Intel IGP from the G41-G43 MB. Here is the situation, at the office I have a basic machine, it's running a E8400 and 4 gig of ram and the video card is the intel IGP. I am currently running a 22" at 1900x 1080. I am wondering if I'd be able to run a 27" with a 1920 x 1080. I know those are not the best monitor but what I need for the task I am doing is space not resolution. Obviously, no games or movies are going to be played on this monitor. am I going the wrong way here ? will the image on a monitor that seize with that resolution look super crappy ?

Thanks for your input ?

I might need a low end discreet GPU for this but I am not sure the IT administrator would appreciate... furthermore the PSU is not really powerful since all this comes in a small form factor (HP) I don't have the numbers but I am sure it can be no more than 200-250 watts.

Old December 1, 2011, 06:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

You'd have no problems just make sure you use a dvi cable.
Old December 4, 2011, 11:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Monitor size has no effect on your graphics card or power. Resolution does.

On a monitor that size you'll probably find that everything is very big (icons etc) as the resolution is the same but area it's covering is much larger.
Quality should be fine. I would suggest the slight resolution bump up to 1920 x 1200 if you can.
it will push the GPU that lil bit more but should be fine as long as your not doing anything too intensive(relative to the gpu).

P.S. More resolution means you get more on your screen. Which I think is what your after if I've read your post right.
Drop your resolution down to 1440x900 to see what I mean.. (ignore the fuzzyness of the image) It's like zooming in.
The same thing will happen if you keep the same resolution and get a larger monitor. You will have the same space to work as you have now but everything will be larger.

Is there a connection for a second monitor on your workstation?
If yes, a second monitor may be Ideal and is my solution for work (would have 3 but it's an nvidia chip and they only support 2)

Last edited by Dzzope; December 4, 2011 at 11:14 PM.