Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 29, 2011, 09:58 AM
Restricted Poster

My System Specs

Arrow 3x Dell U3011 (7680x1600) - Recommendations?

Hi,

I pulled the trigger on a Dell U3011 last night, then this morning I decided screw it... may as well get three so I can keep my EyeFinity setup. I'm upgrading from three 2407WFP monitors. I probably shouldn't have visited Dell's website last night but... I did. Their sale got me.

What I need to know now is what kind of power I need to operate them in games, in Eyefinity, with decent FPS. My system right now:

Corsair 1000 Watt Power Supply
ASUS Rampage Formula
Intel x975 (stock cooling)
Corsair 6x2Gb TRX6G1600C7D (These need to be replaced and are for sale)
Intel 250Gb 510 series SSD
XFX hd 6970

I was thinking of picking up another 6970 for crossfire, but will that be enough? Would I need three? Would I be better off with a 6990 plus the 6970 I already have? Will I have to overclock? I know I probably should be with these parts but I haven't so far.

Thanks for any input.

PS. I sure hope three 30" monitors won't be overwhelming.

Last edited by dberladyn; November 29, 2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old November 29, 2011, 10:09 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I think you are going to quickly run out of desk space, very very quickly.

On the note of eyefinity, driving that resolution I'd almost recommend you going with the 6990 in tri-fire with your 6970, just because I can see that massive resolution requiring a lot of horse power. I'm just speaking from personal experience using a variety of cards now, from 2 465GEs, to 2 6870s, to 2 580 3GBs, to 2 6970s, to 2 570 2.5GBs. Its always been at 5670 x 1080, and for the most part the 580s, 6970s and the 570s have had no issues playing games on high settings for my resolution, but you're adding over 1000 more pixels, I can see that requiring more graphics horse power.

Also, be forewarned that no all games supports eyefinity (we have a thread outlining those that do in my signature), some that do may still not have enough for the game to be playable. Those games that have 100% support will look amazing, though at that resolution I fear you won't be seeing much of your side screens. None the less I look forward to hearing how it turns out and a picture of your desk when you're all set up too. Any additional questions about eyefinity/multiple monitor gaming could be addressed in that thread I mentioned as well, as we do have several multiple monitor gamers here (with a lot of experience).
Old November 29, 2011, 10:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

WTF...?....Were you drinking Rum?....3 x U3011 is going to require massive HP my friend...plan on upgrades to GPU and Power Supply...also, I really hope you have that CPU OC'd to at least 4 Ghz!

If I went this route, get yourself some Aftermarket Cooling for that CPU and OC to 4 Ghz (the higher the better).
Ditch the Eyefinity idea and go nv, for proper set-up at this huge Res, your going to want 3 x GTX 580's (3GB) on Water, overclock em as well.

The only reason I say to ditch ATI, is I understand the Driver support for nv Surround will provide less headaches then ATI....in either Case, going 3 x 6970's will also require Water Cooling.

I would think that only 2 Cards is going to struggle trying to push that kind of Res.

EDIT: Just realized your using an 800D Corsair Case, those Cases ARE NOT designed for multi GPU on AIR, great for WC though
Also, your HX 1kW, although a good PSU, for high end multi GPU (3 Cards), I wouldn't rely on it, better to go to a good single rail 1.2 kW - 1.5 kW

Old November 29, 2011, 10:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
WTF...?....Were you drinking Rum?....3 x U3011 is going to require massive HP my friend...plan on upgrades to GPU and Power Supply...also, I really hope you have that CPU OC'd to at least 4 Ghz!

If I went this route, get yourself some Aftermarket Cooling for that CPU and OC to 4 Ghz (the higher the better).
Ditch the Eyefinity idea and go nv, for proper set-up at this huge Res, your going to want 3 x GTX 580's (3GB) on Water, overclock em as well.

The only reason I say to ditch ATI, is I understand the Driver support for nv Surround will provide less headaches then ATI....in either Case, going 3 x 6970's will also require Water Cooling.

I would think that only 2 Cards is going to struggle trying to push that kind of Res.
Yep, only reason I recommended him the 6990, was the sole fact that he stated he already had a 6970. There is a reason I've kept going back to nVidia, they have a lot better driver support then AMD does for 3 monitor gaming.
Old November 29, 2011, 10:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ I dont have the experience you have...with multi monitors, but I do know even nv may also have some headaches as well, one of the only reasons I've shied away from multi monitor set-ups, not to mention the amount of HP n Cooling this is going to require,,,,,the OP needs the "Black Widow" for this set-up !!! Maybe Kruzin still has it... ;)

Old November 29, 2011, 10:52 AM
Restricted Poster

My System Specs

Hi, thanks for the replies.

I have NO ISSUES whatsoever with Eyefinity and the games I play. Remember, I am just simply upgrading my existing monitor setup. The only thing in my mind is that I need to push those extra pixels... nothing should be different. Unless you are trying to tell me that Crossfire / Trifire changes the way Eyefinity works?

I could pick up two 6990's for a $1000. Would that do it? I'd like to stay away from water cooling on the cards. The CPU, yeah... I could waterblock that, but before I do.. I need different ram. My current ram is giving me issues, I had to pull out five sticks. If anyone has any recommendations for Corsair Ram I'd like to hear it.

So... right now I am thinking two 6990's... but the noise is a deep concern. And I suppose my HX1000W won't be enough to supply them?

EDIT: OK, So the Corsair 800D doesn't have the air flow for Crossfire, I could pull the clear plastic out and replace it with four large fans blowing right on the cards. Upgrading the PSU... I wasn't expecting that. I'll have to look at prices. I guess I am open to offers on selling my current HX1000W.

Last edited by dberladyn; November 29, 2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old November 29, 2011, 11:29 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberladyn View Post
So... right now I am thinking two 6990's... but the noise is a deep concern. And I suppose my HX1000W won't be enough to supply them?
Definitely not. Get an AX1200, Antec HCP1200 or an equivalent Enermax.
Old November 29, 2011, 11:49 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Honestly, you'll want massive amounts of memory bandwidth. Personally, I think the only setup that can push that kind of setup is a 2x GTX 590 config or at the low end, 2x GTX 580 3GB.
Old November 29, 2011, 12:04 PM
Restricted Poster

My System Specs

NVidia... I've been so happy with AMD. The one thing I don't like about those GTX590 cards or the 580's are a lack of display ports. Is there any other advantages to going with NVidia?

Seriously... you may be right but I need more help to swing that way. I know what to expect with AMD.
Old November 29, 2011, 12:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I have NO ISSUES whatsoever with Eyefinity and the games I play. Remember, I am just simply upgrading my existing monitor setup. The only thing in my mind is that I need to push those extra pixels... nothing should be different. Unless you are trying to tell me that Crossfire / Trifire changes the way Eyefinity works?
Yep.......I'm with Sky above....those monitors are as "High End" as you can go....you simply need your PC to be at par, otherwise its a complete waste of 4.5K worth of pixels ;)

Quote:
The one thing I don't like about those GTX590 cards or the 580's are a lack of display ports.
Sure would be "nice to have", but in all honesty, DVI-D Dual Link is fine....bottomline is only you can make the decision....would just hate to see you in for disappointment....
Also, with the 590's they'll expel hot air into your Case....another reason to consider water with that 800D.....I've been running SLi n Tri SLi for a number of years and Air certainly requires some thought, planning and a damn good Air Cooling Case, other wise one of the Cards (middle one) simply overheats.

The obvious advantage with the suggested 3Gb Cards is both performance and Driver Support, something that will be both #1 and #2 on your "must" list.

I believe Sky is our "resident expert", I would pay close attention to what he says....anyhow, once your set-up, please post a pic of those monitors....very nice indeed!!!

Last edited by rjbarker; November 29, 2011 at 12:15 PM.
Closed Thread