Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 29, 2011, 07:36 PM
Restricted Poster

My System Specs

Man... this thread has me one click away from a $1000 in Watercooling and $XXXX for in GPU's!!!!

Insane. What did I do? I honestly can't decide on AMD or Nvidia... I flipped a coin five times, AMD came on top which I am more comfortable with. I am also debating on holding out for the next generation... which makes more sense to me considering the money...

I suppose my other option is to just buy the 6990 and see what happens, tweaking from there. I thought I had a lead on a Power Supply but.. by the time he decides to actually put some effort into selling it I'll have found something else or moved on.

I wish there was someone here in the AMD camp.... lol, I just feel more comfortable with AMD. Besides, isn't 2Gb of RAM better than 1.5Gb per GPU? It must be...
Old November 29, 2011, 08:24 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I've been near this before..... the 20-30-20 setup lacks the continuity of eyefinity. Glad I missed the sale on 30's....

Have an A-1 day!
Old November 29, 2011, 09:10 PM
Restricted Poster

My System Specs

LMFAO!!! Too Funny!

Yeah... you kind of have that... "Glad it's you and not me..." track of thought... Nothing I can do now... I've been bitten... money is flying.

I am glad to report I now have a 1500W PSU thanks to a kind member here. Persistence pays off. Now I have about 10 more posts to go and I can start selling my un-needed equipment to help fund this madness.
Old November 29, 2011, 09:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well, I can't help you but I bought a U3011 last night too. Now I'm in the upgrade quandry myself. DAMN YOU DELL!
Old November 29, 2011, 10:07 PM
Restricted Poster

My System Specs

With me it started with just one and it probably should have ended right there. I phoned this morning and asked if they'd match the price on two more... they agreed. Now I have three on the way. I just received the shipping notice... they are in transit!

1500W power supply is up and running. :)
Old November 29, 2011, 10:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Haha, it's hard to say... I think price/$ you can get tri 6970s and be happy with the extra memory bandwith... still, there are always differences between nvidia and ATI and that's for you to chose based on: which one has better support for the games you like, does one have features that meet your needs (i.e. folders go with nvidia vs ATI, or if you have some games with PhysX). They are also right that you're gonna have to improve upon your CPU and make sure it's fast... lol. I don't know what speed your current DDR3 is, but you'll want to look at 1600 speed! I've had a good experience so far with nvidia surround and I can say that 2x 570s is the minimum for pushing 3x 1080p monitors as anything less would mean turning down the settings on most games in surround (currently I've only had to run BF 3 and Metro 2033 at less than max settings... Mafia II was cutting it close as well)
Old November 29, 2011, 10:22 PM
Restricted Poster

My System Specs

Thanks for the encouragement - being open about the AMD solution. Previously I was running 5670x1200 on a 5870 GPU, no overclocking... I had no problems with any games. When I got the 6870 BF3 improved where I could turn up the details close to max. But honestly, I never paid much attention to FPS or what settings were where. I only have a few hours in that game and it always played well on my system.

Yes my RAM is 1600 but I am thinking of replacing it with 1866 or 2000. I just don't really know what to do with that yet. I know if I overclock I have to replace it as it's not working right with my system. It was from a previous build.

You know... I could put three 6990's in my case, water cooled.... I won't do that but... that would be nuts!

I suppose if I do go 2x HD6990 or 2x GTX590.... my CPU will be the bottleneck? I am so far behind on computers... I meant to overclock and watercool this system two years ago!

Roughly 8 posts to go..
Old November 30, 2011, 07:45 AM
Restricted Poster

My System Specs

Hi, I have just had an issue with a forum moderator here. I understand his position but I have to admit the whole thing has turned me off of this community. Unless this is resolved by said moderator I will be finding another forum to share this expensive investment with. I don't mean to be dramatic, but I just have no desire to post here any more.

Thanks for the all the ideas and the interest.
Old November 30, 2011, 09:53 AM
Restricted Poster

My System Specs

I am DONE with these Forums. Thanks for the advice all.

Good Bye.

*MOD EDIT* - Disregard for the forum rules in regards to our BST area. That is the issue at hand, if people just follow the rules everything works out quite fine.

Last edited by Soultribunal; November 30, 2011 at 10:38 AM.
Closed Thread