Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Display Units (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/)
-   -   3d monitors in nvidia 3d surround (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/48713-3d-monitors-nvidia-3d-surround.html)

campu0999 November 24, 2011 11:27 PM

3d monitors in nvidia 3d surround
 
What 3d monitors are the best for use in nvidia 3d surround
I need it to support 3D LightBoost and have not a thick frame around the monitor
would a 3 monitor stand be better than having each monitor on there own stand

thanks

Arinoth November 25, 2011 04:43 AM

What graphics cards do you have, you'd need something rather high powered such as 2 580s (1.5 or 3GB models) or 2 570s the 2.5GB model

JMCD November 25, 2011 12:47 PM

Doing 3d surround is not going to make you too happy. If you buy the most expensive and powerful hardware, you still will be lacking fps in the latest games. I'd advise picking surround OR 3d if you plan on playing newer games.

campu0999 November 25, 2011 02:54 PM

I will be using 2 EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3072MB Hydro Copper 2 or 2 EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Classified 3072MB graphics cards and i will be switching between 3d and surround as i would like 3d and i need surround
If you need any more specs just ask

3d for games and surround for work and a little gaming

JMCD November 25, 2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by campu0999 (Post 572571)
I will be using 2 EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3072MB Hydro Copper 2 or 2 EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Classified 3072MB graphics cards and i will be switching between 3d and surround as i would like 3d and i need surround
If you need any more specs just ask

3d for games and surround for work and a little gaming

Oh ok, so the middle monitor will be 3d for gaming, and the 2 side monitors are for desktop use. Should be plenty of power.

campu0999 November 25, 2011 09:35 PM

yeah but some times i will need all three monitors to be able to be used as desktop and will need to be able to be expanded up to 6 monitors in the future any suggestions?

(i will be having 2 more evga 3gb gtx 580 graphics cards at a later date to acompany the other three monitors) LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK :thumb:

JMCD November 27, 2011 04:39 AM

Well AMD is certainly easier/cheaper for 6 screens. If you you need 6 screens it only needs 1 AMD card and that wouldn't set you back much (100-200? not sure atm) for a cheaper one, but you would need display port adapters. It gets really expensive when you want to do surround and 3d on the same machine to support that many screens. I honestly think you might be better with a second PC.

campu0999 November 27, 2011 01:15 PM

yea lol im going with nvidia and probley 2-3 Evga gtx 580 3gb graphic cards
:thumb:

draemn November 29, 2011 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCD (Post 573040)
Well AMD is certainly easier/cheaper for 6 screens. If you you need 6 screens it only needs 1 AMD card and that wouldn't set you back much (100-200? not sure atm) for a cheaper one, but you would need display port adapters. It gets really expensive when you want to do surround and 3d on the same machine to support that many screens. I honestly think you might be better with a second PC.

... ... ... did you miss the part where he wants to play games? A single AMD card, other than the 6990 (which is a dual card), cannot push most games across 3+ monitors with good quality settings. Also, from what I've heard, it usually costs $100-200 in adapters to run 6 screens off 1 cards as active adapters (whatever they are) are super expensive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 572423)
What graphics cards do you have, you'd need something rather high powered such as 2 580s (1.5 or 3GB models) or 2 570s the 2.5GB model

Well, if you did ever run 3D surround (surround in 3D), 2x 580 would require some pretty mediocre settings. You'd really want a Tri-setup or higher. If you aren't running any of your 3D games in surround, then you can get away with dual 580s.


Just remember that 3D surround usually requires a $3000+ computer (DYI prices, try about $4500+ for custom boutique). You'll need a CPU that's around 4Ghz as well as $1000+ worth of GPUs and fast DDR3. Also, after the 2nd 580, you'll want to have at least 1KW PSU (probably more due to the o/c CPU). As for the stands, it's nice to buy the single stand for 3 monitors if you can afford it, but it doesn't let you hide 1/2 your bezel behind your center monitor.

campu0999 December 1, 2011 01:38 AM

Thanks look at my other thread http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ing-build.html

my budget will be around 6k-8k

I will be having in my set up full water cooling, asus maximus extreme motherboard, 2 evga gtx 580 graphics cards moving up to 3 later or four, i7 2600k or i7 2700k processor, 1000w power supply ect if more info is needed just ask


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:10 AM.