Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 24, 2011, 08:31 PM
Rookie

Default Which of these is the better buy?

Hey guys

Looking at some of the deals on Newegg and want to upgrade from my 17" monitor to a larger one.

These are the monitors in question:

Newegg.com - Acer S230HLAbii Black 23" 5ms HDMI LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 ACM 100,000,000:1 (1000:1)

Newegg.com - Acer G235HAbd 23'' 5ms 1920x1080 WideScreen LCD monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1

The only real difference I can see between the two is that the second accepts both VGA and DVI, and the first accepts DVI and HDMI. What is better? VGA or DVI? I see a lot of new montiors have one or the other...I mean I have adapters for my video card but which one should I be using here?

Another difference is that the first is LED backlit. Is this really a big difference? I read in a review about some cheap LED backlit displays (like the first one here) can have issues with flickering, etc.

So what's the better buy, guys?

Thanks,
Elliott
Old November 25, 2011, 01:35 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The first one is in general a newer product, so that it features HDMI and LED backlight.
DVI is a better option since it's a digital output vs VGA which is analog. Today video cards all have DVI so no need for any adapters.
Don't know much about that specific model TBH, I would try to find a Dell 2311 or an equivalent Samsung if it fits your budget.
Old November 25, 2011, 04:03 AM
Rookie

Thanks and anyone know about LED backlit displays having problems with flickering and the like? I haven't really found any other monitors at a deal like this right now.
Old November 26, 2011, 08:59 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottG View Post
Thanks and anyone know about LED backlit displays having problems with flickering and the like? I haven't really found any other monitors at a deal like this right now.
Not usually a big issue. The S230 is better. It has one extra HDMI port from the looks of it too. It's sold out though.

If you have a couple of more bucks and are in Canada, Dell has the ST2220T on sale for $229.99. It's a glossy touch screen with an IPS panel that will blow these two out of the water in terms of image..

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732