Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 22, 2012, 08:34 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Consumer rage is always a good form of entertainment. I think most social deviants are quite entertaining.

The only downside is that it doesn't solve any problems.
Old February 22, 2012, 10:01 PM
Allstar

Indeed, though I think we've all vented at a product or two now and then. (My most recent was at Assassin's Creed Revelations :) )

Samsung have from time to time in the past had issues with consistancy in their quality control. But most manufacturers have. In many respects they've come a long way When they first started selling monitors and TV's in North America you wouldn't dare buy a Samsung :)

WHat perhaps annoys me most is the increasing dearth of 16:10 monitors (and even 4:3 though that's more understandable). 16:10 is a much more comfortable size for a computer monitor but the companies are eltting the HDTV market drive the monitor market whi is, IMHO the wrong way to go.

When this monitor was first rumoured I was hoping it would be 1600 not 1440. I wish I had bought the 305T+ at the time but couldn't afford it then :)
Old February 22, 2012, 10:19 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I stocked up on 305Ts back in the day. I have two but should have bought a third.
Old February 23, 2012, 01:07 AM

Just throwing my weight into the discussion. The PLS 27" is hands down my favourite monitor right now. If my 305T+ had been out of warranty when it died a few months ago I would have snapped one up in a heartbeat.

As it is, it's very difficult to justify "downgrading" the size of my 30", but the increased pixel density and dramatically better picture quality definitely beckoned....

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old May 1, 2012, 08:47 PM
Rookie

Just got my new EVGA GTX 680 SC Signature card and am trying to decide if I should get this monitor or an ASUS 27" 120Mhz 3d one.

This one Asus VG278H

I like the thought of the higher res and better panel of this one but also like the thought of the 3d and 120Mhz of the asus.

It's a tough choice and I am not really sure which way to go. I saw a 27" running what looked to be BF3 in 3d at the aberdeen NCIX today and was quite impressed with the quality of the 3d.

Is the 3d and 120mhz enough to offset the TN panel with 1920 res

or is the higher res and better panel enough to offset the 3d and 120Mhz..

Hoping someone with experience with either or preferably both could give some advice.
Old May 1, 2012, 09:29 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I have had both. I'd choose the Sammy over the ASUS simply because I value image quality over the ability for 3D and 120Hz.

Plus, with the GTX 680's Adaptive V-Sync, you can easily have the best of both worlds: V-Sync AND a great gameplay experience.

Then again, I love my 3D Vision setup so I would recommend that if it wasn't for my love of image quality...
Old May 2, 2012, 05:19 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm still going strong with this monitor, even driving it with a 680 and everything looks amazing on it. Still no backlight bleed at all and well 3D is a damn horrible gimmick. Go for the extra pixels, you won't regreat it.
Old June 21, 2012, 02:41 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Samsung's new 27A850D is a unique 27" 2560 x 1440 monitor that bridges the gap between high priced 30" products and the lower quality, less expensive 1080P panels that have cluttered the market. They have achieved a balance between price and image quality by using a proprietary PLS panel technology, something we haven't seen outside of tablets.

Article URL: Samsung SyncMaster 27A850D, 27 PLS Monitor Review
This is for SKYMTL:

Having enjoyed your very informative review posted in November 23 2011, and thinking of buying one or two 27 inch Monitor display/s with 2560x1440 pixel resolution, I would like to hear back comments and opinion from you as to which gives me the best bang for my buck.
1. I have priced as you may see the Dell UltraSharp U2711 at Canadian $700 and the Samsung SyncMaster 27A850D at C$ 800,
2. I may connect either one or a pair(2) of them in dual setting.
3. I am retired in my late 60's and use trifocal corrective eyeglasses.
4. The intended uses for the monitor/s are, web pages(usually I keep about 50 pages opened at once), productive software use: spreadsheets, word-processing, e-mail, TV watching(as well as recording) in the PC.
4.1 I have zero interest in Gaming

With what you know and given my needs what would you do in my situation and why?

I would appreciate your(and others') opinion over this.

Thank you kindly.

I am attaching below some additional facts i do reckon:

Rough comparison:

A. Dell UltraSharp U2711 27C$ 700.00

(Better connectivity variety than the S27A850D including analog VGA IPS technology)

B. Samsung SyncMaster S27A850D 27 C$ 800.00

Class Widescreen LED Monitor - 2560 x 1440, 16:9, Mega Dynamic Contrast Ratio, 3000:1 Native, 5ms, Dual Link DVI, Energy Star Matt Black C$ 800.00

(slightly better energy savings than Dell UltraSharp U2711 PLS Technology Compatible with Dell Dual Monitor feature )

Last edited by MSwhip; June 21, 2012 at 03:18 AM.
Old June 21, 2012, 05:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

MSWhip, Sky is the editor as well as a reviewer, however AkG did the review for that monitor, and I believe has quite a bit of experience/knowledge on the U2711 as well. Hopefully (and he probably) will notice this thread and let you know his personal opinion.
Old June 21, 2012, 10:21 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
MSWhip, Sky is the editor as well as a reviewer, however AkG did the review for that monitor, and I believe has quite a bit of experience/knowledge on the U2711 as well. Hopefully (and he probably) will notice this thread and let you know his personal opinion.
Thank you Arinoth