Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2011, 07:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This monitor seems interesting, but I'm wondering about gaming on it. The response time seems high compared to most "gaming" monitors, though I know that can be a misleading number. I run a GTX 480 right now. Would that be alright to drive this many pixels?
Old December 2, 2011, 08:32 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlojack View Post
This monitor seems interesting, but I'm wondering about gaming on it. The response time seems high compared to most "gaming" monitors, though I know that can be a misleading number. I run a GTX 480 right now. Would that be alright to drive this many pixels?
I found my 580 struggling to power this monitor in all games. It is a boat load of pixels. Honestly, when I go for a 27" gaming setup I plan on either SLI'ing 580s or waiting for the 690s to land and SLI'ing two of them. From a ghosting POV there is some, but it is very, very minor and easily the best professional grade monitor I have seen in this regards. You are correct when you say that numbers can be misleading as I have a 23" 2ms TN panel here that shows more ghosting than the sammy did!

Hope that helps.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 2, 2011, 12:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ugh every time this monitor shows up on my screen I keep getting the itch to buy it!
Old December 2, 2011, 06:11 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlojack View Post
I had a chance to use one for a few days and it was great for gaming. I've never been really able to notice ghosting or anything unless the monitor was really bad. For the last several years my Dell 2407WFP has been my gaming monitor. The Samsung looked great, the resolution was nice and the gaming experience was no worse than my Dell when it came to ghosting, the added resolution was nice and worked my setup nicely. BF3 was smooth as silk but for some reason it pushes my system like no other game. My video cards tend to run 3-6C warmer and CPU is 7-10C warmer with BF3 than with other games like Metro 2033, Crysis, Crysis 2, etc.

Anyway I'd be able to recommend this monitor to anyone for a good gaming experience. I decided to go with a U3011 instead as I didn't find the upgrade to a 27" 16:9 to be enough of a wow factor going from a 24" 16:10. Compared to the 22" and 23" monitors I have it was a pretty nice difference, but for me the extra $250 to move to a U3011 seemed worth it.
Lian Li PC-V1010B : Dell U3011 30" LCD : Dell U2311 23" LCD : Asus P6T Deluxe X58 : Intel i7 920 @ 3.5GHz : OCZ DDR3 12GB @ 1483MHz 8-8-8-24 : Noctua NH-U12P : 2x MSI 6970 Lightning CF : Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 : 2x Samsung DVD-RW : Samsung DVD-ROM : OCZ Synapse 64GB Cache SSD : WD 1.5TB Black HDD : 2x WD 1TB Black HDDs : Corsair HX1000W : Cyborg R.A.T. 9 : Razer BW Ultimate Keyboard : Energy C-200 /w Yamaha RX-V667 AVR : Sennheiser HD555 Headphones : APC UPS XS 1200 : WIN 7 ULT 64
Old December 19, 2011, 11:37 AM
Rookie

No excessive backlight bleed detected by the review or any other owners of it in this thread? I bought one and really liked the picture quality and lack of aggressive Antiglare, but returned it due to really bad backlight bleed in the lower right, which proved distracting during dark scenes in movies and games. A shame really. To learn more about this issue, which other owners also notice, check out the very comprehensive thread about the 27A850D at hardocp.
Old December 19, 2011, 11:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I have absolutely no blacklight bleed whatsoever.
Old December 19, 2011, 11:52 AM
Rookie

Guess it's a crapshoot then...or maybe more recent models have this problem solved? I would buy this again if I knew this wouldn't be an issue.
Old December 19, 2011, 11:55 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I bought the model a few days before the HwC review came up, so maybe it was just a crapshoot or the location/source I got it from. Who knows. Could have been even just one bad batch.
Old December 19, 2011, 07:45 PM
Rookie

Where did you buy it? Maybe the batch that seller has is a good one.
Old December 19, 2011, 08:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

From NCIX of course