Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 24, 2011, 07:55 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Samsung's new 27A850D is a unique 27" 2560 x 1440 monitor that bridges the gap between high priced 30" products and the lower quality, less expensive 1080P panels that have cluttered the market. They have achieved a balance between price and image quality by using a proprietary PLS panel technology, something we haven't seen outside of tablets.

Article URL: Samsung SyncMaster 27A850D, 27” PLS Monitor Review
Solid review from AkG. He's gonna keep this thing isn't he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristhrottle View Post
Great review. I don't really know what PLS is, but this monitor seems to check out. I'm thinking of getting the 24" version.
IPS is Hitachi's in-plane-switching that is popularized in TVs by LG and Panasonic, and on the desktop monitor side by LG and Dell/Apple

PLS is effectively the same thing with mostly the same strengths and few weaknesses, but Samsung seems to have the edge in clarity and perceived white uniformity because of their smoother anti-glare. It also seems to help viewing angles, as it minimizes contrast loss from the "hazy" effect that LG puts on their screens, at least in well lit conditions.

The best description would be to say it's as clear as a glossy, but without the annoying reflections.

I have an up close pixel shot comparing the 24" PLS with my Dell U2412M here. You can see the bottom pixel shots of the Dell U2412M with the LG panel have a "marbled look" to them while the Samsung/top is smoother:

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3...wdown20111.jpg

This is also their attempt to steal back the Dell contract they lost to LG. Remember the 2408WFP and 2709W from Dell were Samsung S-PVA, and since then the entire UltraSharp series has moved to LG IPS.

Apple will likely always be LG especially now that Samsung and Apple are playing legal chess games in every continent.

Quote:
Calibration "eyeball" settings are on the second to last page.

As for people thinking of the 24", be aware that we have seen reports of serious backlight bleed issues.
Those are good settings. I got similar from my colorimeter.

One really strange thing with this screen in terms of RGB settings: All RGB settings in the custom color area go to 50 and control white/grey color temperature, but then after/above 50 they actually control color "gain".

The 24" is a huge disappointment in back-light bleed. It's too bad because it adds VGA and is lower lag than the 27", as well as needing lesser GPU power.

I am on S27A850 #2. The first had better/less BLB than the 24" but a dead blue sub-pixel. The second had better BLB(back-light bleed) than the first and it's actually improved since purchase and is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Ah, thanks, for whatever reason I must have glossed over that part. Once again, its and absolutely amazing monitor and I'm glad at the price I got it at. NCIX sale + MemoryExpress PM = under 800$ before taxes with free shipping.
Great deal on that screen. I got it for $816 plus dead pixel warranty from NCIX, plus taxes and local pick-up, and stupid Ontario "eco tax"

Eco Tax on an LED back-lit, low mercury screen? Thanks Ontario, have you seen the power usage?

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732

Last edited by 10e; November 24, 2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old November 24, 2011, 08:23 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10e View Post
I have an up close pixel shot comparing the 24" PLS with my Dell U2412M here. You can see the bottom pixel shots of the Dell U2412M with the LG panel have a "marbled look" to them while the Samsung/top is smoother:

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3...wdown20111.jpg
Thank you for the link 10e, very interesting to see the difference!
Old November 24, 2011, 09:10 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm very interested in its little cousin, the S24A850D. I've already ordered the Dell U2412M but this review for the larger 27" has me looking back at the 24" Samsung. If my focus is gaming on my new monitor, do you guys suggest spending an extra $150 for the Samsung?

Thanks!
Photography/Gaming build: i7-4770K, NH-D14, Z87 Sabertooth, 16GB Ripjaws X, GTX 780 OC DirectCU II 3GB, M500 480GB, Caviar Black 2TB, Dual Red 4TBx2 (RAID 1), XFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold, Graphite Series 600T SE White
HTPC build: i5-750, Hyper 212+, P7P55D Pro, 8GB Ripjaws X, R6970 DirectCU II 2GB, Caviar Black 640GB/2TB, Caviar Green 3TB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB, Strider Plus 750W, CM 690 II Advanced
Mobile Media: Asus Transformer Infinity 32GB w/ keyboard dock
Old November 24, 2011, 09:24 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa View Post
Thanks for the nice review AkG.

I'm wondering if other manufacturers will use this type of panel in their future products? (I'm looking at Dell here)

By the way... AkG did you happen to get a measurement of the bezel?
I'm just curious how this would fair in a triple portrait mode setup I'm looking to configure.

Really liking how low the power consumption is as well for a 27" screen of this calibur!!!
IF - and it is only "if" - I remember correctly its .75" for the side bezels and top. I cant remember the bottom numbers but think its in the inch to two inch range. Sorry cant be more specific than that.

I hope other companies take note of this tech and start using it. I for one would LOVE to see a dell 27" or 30" ultrasharp be built using it.

And thanks guys for all the positive feedback. I personally LOVE this monitor. Its the first monitor that makes my two year old NEC look like crap in comparison. Hell its out and out RUINED me for gaming on 24". Just can't see myself gaming in 2D @ 1920 resolutions anymore. I can seriously see myself buying this monitor for my gaming rig..... ASAP.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 24, 2011, 09:39 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
IF - and it is only "if" - I remember correctly its .75" for the side bezels and top. I cant remember the bottom numbers but think its in the inch to two inch range. Sorry cant be more specific than that.

I hope other companies take note of this tech and start using it. I for one would LOVE to see a dell 27" or 30" ultrasharp be built using it.

And thanks guys for all the positive feedback. I personally LOVE this monitor. Its the first monitor that makes my two year old NEC look like crap in comparison. Hell its out and out RUINED me for gaming on 24". Just can't see myself gaming in 2D @ 1920 resolutions anymore. I can seriously see myself buying this monitor for my gaming rig..... ASAP.
Would you be comfortable saying that the review might apply mostly to its smaller 24" brethren? I really like the PLS tech but I can't justify spending $1000 (including the new video card that I'll have to buy to utilize the monitor for gaming) for new panel.

I'm srsly tempted to return the U2412M now and get the S24A850DW, instead.
Photography/Gaming build: i7-4770K, NH-D14, Z87 Sabertooth, 16GB Ripjaws X, GTX 780 OC DirectCU II 3GB, M500 480GB, Caviar Black 2TB, Dual Red 4TBx2 (RAID 1), XFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold, Graphite Series 600T SE White
HTPC build: i5-750, Hyper 212+, P7P55D Pro, 8GB Ripjaws X, R6970 DirectCU II 2GB, Caviar Black 640GB/2TB, Caviar Green 3TB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB, Strider Plus 750W, CM 690 II Advanced
Old November 24, 2011, 09:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Yep, I can't see myself going back to anything else for a long time really. The monitor is just amazing and gaming at 2560 x 1400 allows me to see more and therefore a little edge (that I need) in multiplayer too.
Old November 24, 2011, 10:41 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakage.shinga View Post
Would you be comfortable saying that the review might apply mostly to its smaller 24" brethren?
No. If you look at forum postings and user reviews, the 24" has some serious teething problems.
Old November 24, 2011, 10:46 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
No. If you look at forum postings and user reviews, the 24" has some serious teething problems.
I'm hitting myself on the face for not using the search function...thanks!
Old November 24, 2011, 05:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Should be interesting to see how this panel fairs. My "professional" Syncmaster 245T didn't stand the test of time. No dead pixels but as time passes more and more defects become bothersome. Including darkened areas and green pixelization with motion video and in games.

If I get a chance to ever upgrade to another monitor I'll probably go with Dell/LG.
Old November 24, 2011, 06:47 PM
Rookie

For comparison, the U2711 is now listed at $699.00 on the Dell Canada site - Dell Monitor page including the latest and greatest monitors