Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 8, 2011, 11:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default TV for hooking up to a computer

I'm thinking about MAYBE buying a TV at some point. Boxing Day might be a good time to pick something up.

Currently I only have my 24" LCD monitor that is connected to my computer. I would like to get a large TV (50" or so) to connect to my computer.

I mostly use my computer to surf the web, fold (kinda display independant, really), play games (BF3, Civ5, etc.) and watch movies/TV.

I would most likely only use the TV to watch movies/TV shows from my computer and occasionally surf the web. I am NOT planning on getting cable/subscribed TV. I MAY occasionally play a game on the TV, but most of the time would use my monitor. AFAIK the only thing connected to the TV would be my computer. I have no interest in consoles, and DVD/BD players are irrelevant when my PC has all that stuff (in fact I have all the parts to build up a dedicated media machine)

I would like to keep the price under $1000. If it's worth going with a smaller size (46"?) in order to get better quality, I'm willing to do that.

So, what's best? LCD, Plasma or LED? Which one has the best bang for the buck? is there a particular TV that excels at playing PC games?

I've had a few Samsung monitors, have had good luck with them, and if I'm honest I have a sweet spot for Samsung products.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old November 8, 2011, 12:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Obviously 1080p, and just skim through the settings to make sure it has 1:1 pixel mapping. It's named a variety of things though depending on the manufacturer...
Old November 8, 2011, 01:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

1080p 1:1 pixel mapping, good contrast ratio 2000:1 or better(not dynamic but the native, static, ANSI, or true contrast) and a brightness 550 cd/m2 or ANSI lumens or better is a good starting point(technically CD/m2 or NITS vs ANSI lumens, NITS win as they are the amount of directed light at a given distance where as ANSI lumens are the same given distance but a reflection thereof) 4ms or better responce times, and of course 120Hz or better for LCD type, and a good viewing angle this way here if you happen to be at an angle you will still see the screen properly. Another important thing is pixel pitch, or how close the pixels at to each other, generally a larger monitor/tv has its pixels further from each other to make distance viewing easier, but if you look real close, the pixels start to appear and makes it look crappy :P.

Also the resolution, though a 55"screen would be nice, and you want high def, the resolution can get out of hand real fast, 1920x1080 will probably not look the greatest in a very large screen, however if you go say the 2560x1440 or higher, for most GPU and modern games, is not going to play the greatest, but it will look the best, most even crossfireX or Quad sli with cards that have enough Vram to handle such reso/settings have trouble playing smoothly at these kind of levels, just an FYI :)

Generally for gaming and such, you would want LCD as it handles motion better, its colors and such may not be as vibrant as say an OLED or Plasma, however LCD work very good for gaming, especially computer wise, and tend to suffer less from burn in problems, bas bleeding, or motion and lag.
Old November 8, 2011, 02:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So it sounds like LCD is the way to go?

I agree that Plasma doesn't seem like a good choice for a computer TV. A buddy of mine has a plasma that I connect my computer to when i house sit. I try to avoid letting images sit for too long, but after an hour or so of playing a game, you can see the beginnings of pixel burn where the HUD's are. It's only a temporary effect, but still, it makes me nervous.

I'm not sure about the higher resolution TV's (2560x1440). As you say, it takes some serious GPU power to run that resolution. I know I'm upgrading my GPU this month, but I don't want to spend the dough for a X-fire setup. Seems like 1080P would be enough for me.

What is 1:1 pixel mapping?

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old November 8, 2011, 04:49 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:

Generally for gaming and such, you would want LCD as it handles motion better, its colors and such may not be as vibrant as say an OLED or Plasma, however LCD work very good for gaming, especially computer wise, and tend to suffer less from burn in problems, bas bleeding, or motion and lag.
?? I'm sorry, did you make reference to an LCD performing better than a Plasma- inferring a plasma has motion lag/poor refresh rate and not ideal for gaming?

Or was that a typo?