Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2011, 10:45 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Buying a TV

On boxing day, I'm planning on buying a new tv to replace an old one. Currently I have my eyes set on a Samsung 55" 1080p 120hz LED TV (UN55D6000). Does anyone have any experience with this tv? If it isn't any good, what would you recommend? My preference would be at least 120hz and no less, 50" (55" preferably), thin and support for nvidia 3d vision if possible.

Old November 5, 2011, 09:46 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Plasma.

Panasonic ST30 or better.

If you have any kind of "eye" nothing will look right on a LCD/LED.

120hz/TRU-motion/Automotion plus etc....makes all movie content look like it was shot with a cheap camcorder (home movie) or Soap Opera quality.

In store they always play content to make the set look good(misleading).

If upon commenting on this to friends and they say "You'll get use to it" (the display), ask yourself, "Why do I NEED to get used to anything?".

Do your research, don't "drink the kool aid".
Old November 5, 2011, 09:55 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I did consider Plasma but since I'll be using this as a monitor for my pc, I want to avoid burn-in.

Old November 5, 2011, 10:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

LED TV's have fairly high input-lag, especially with 120Hz enabled. "Game mode" on such TV's will lower the input-lag, but then you lose out on 120Hz and local-dimming, which is the whole point of LED. I'd check the numbers on the units you're looking at before purchasing. Some review sites do input-lag measurements as a standard. AVS Forum is another good place for data.

As far as I know, Nvidia 3D vision won't work with any 120Hz HDTV's, unless native 120Hz units have been released since I've nosed around in the HDTV world. 120Hz HDTV's don't actually run at 120Hz, but rather they use interpolation to insert additional frames to give a 120Hz effect. This is different from standard 120Hz computer monitors, which actually run at 120Hz.
Old November 5, 2011, 10:34 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
LED TV's have fairly high input-lag, especially with 120Hz enabled. "Game mode" on such TV's will lower the input-lag, but then you lose out on 120Hz and local-dimming, which is the whole point of LED. I'd check the numbers on the units you're looking at before purchasing. Some review sites do input-lag measurements as a standard. AVS Forum is another good place for data.

As far as I know, Nvidia 3D vision won't work with any 120Hz HDTV's, unless native 120Hz units have been released since I've nosed around in the HDTV world. 120Hz HDTV's don't actually run at 120Hz, but rather they use interpolation to insert additional frames to give a 120Hz effect. This is different from standard 120Hz computer monitors, which actually run at 120Hz.
^^
Educated member there, and He's dead on with the interpolation (is that what it's called? Maybe I should do my research cool tech, just looks wrong).

Burn in? Do your research.

Using is a monitor might change things up a bit. Take your laptop down to a serious AV Dealer and hook it up to a plasma and play with it for a bit.
Old November 5, 2011, 11:19 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Well i've googled around and i get 50/50 about plasma bad as monitor and newer plasma being ok. As I said nvidia 3d vision if possible, its not that important. I know about interpolation because i play most of my 1080p 24fps video @ 60fps. What Plasma TV would you suggest as a PC monitor without worrying about burn-ins. Before I forget, no more than $1500.

Last edited by Gregole; November 5, 2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old November 5, 2011, 11:36 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregole View Post
Well i've googled around and i get 50/50 about plasma bad as monitor and newer plasma being ok. As I said nvidia 3d vision if possible, its not that important. I know about interpolation because i play most of my 1080p 24fps video @ 60fps. What Plasma TV would you suggest as a PC monitor without worrying about burn-ins.
I personally would look at Panasonic ST30, GT30 or if your a high roller with more money than brains, a VT30. GT30 is considered the 'sweet spot' by the majority.

You will want to 'break in" your plasma correctly if you plan on strong static images on screen frequently.

I know ppl that use their Plasmas for everything, but using it as a primary monitor is outside of my personal scope of experience. I use mine for Movie/media and gaming, mostly gaming.

The best advice I can give is this, do your research, buy from a store that won't give you a hassle if/when you return it (for cash or exchange). You need to be prepared to return your first purchase as you won't really know what you have until it's in your own environment, 'bent over and ready for probing" lol

edit: $1500? 50" St30 or if you can find a sale/deal 50" GT30

Bare in mind, I'm a Videophile.
Old November 5, 2011, 11:55 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Well when I mentioned that I will be using it as monitor, I was talking about video and games. One question though, lets says I was watching a tv that isnt 16:9 but 4:3, should I worry about the black border on 4:3 and I don't really want stretching the screen

Old November 6, 2011, 12:59 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregole View Post
Well when I mentioned that I will be using it as monitor, I was talking about video and games. One question though, lets says I was watching a tv that isnt 16:9 but 4:3, should I worry about the black border on 4:3 and I don't really want stretching the screen
1st off, do your 100-150 Hour break in (this is a must IMO). This means the 1st 100 to 150 hours of the Plasmas life are Full screen, NO Static images on screen. This allows for the phosphors to harden virtually eliminating burn in possibility. Image retention is a reality and will happen, but if you know what it is you won't be conerned.

As per your question, yes 4:3 will leave image retention, but that is wiped by watching full screen for a while.

Modern Plasma's have anti-burn in tech built in ie Pixel Orbiter and screen "scrubbers".

You being a non-plasma owner, I can understand all your concerns as I had the same reservations when I returned my Sammy LCD and went plasma. Looking back, it's comedic that I thought I was taking a chance going with my Panny plasma lol.
Old November 6, 2011, 01:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

All digital receivers let you change the colour of the 4:3 border. Plus, with all the anti image retention features modern plasmas offer it's not a big deal IMO.

Don't wait for a boxing day sale unless you plan on camping outside 2 days ahead of time, you can easily get a very good plasma for much less at the 50" screen size without waiting for a sale.