Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2011, 12:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Asus PA238Q...on 2nd thought

Hey all, been awhile since I grabbed myself a new toy but I decided to try out the Asus PA238Q 23" IPS monitor, I figured for $259.99 at CC it's worth a look Canada Computers | LCD/LED Monitors | Asus PA238Q, 23" LED IPS Panel Widescreen Professional Monitor, 1920x1080, 6ms(GtG), 5M:1(ASCR), VGA, DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort

Of course its not a Dell 27 or 30" but I have to admit, the difference really is very noticable from the BENQ M2700HD I had (not that I was all that happy with it to begin with). The trade off of giving up a bit of real estate from 27 to 23"s is worth it for me and my uses these days. So anyone looking to get a budget IPS screen I don't think you can go too wrong with the PA238Q, especially at $259.99

Last edited by kruzn4evr; November 4, 2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old November 1, 2011, 01:50 AM
MVP

That is my favorite screen to date. You do give up some real estate and resolution but that means more space on your desk and less work for your GPUs. My only gripe with it is that the screen is too bright even after lowering the settings to be used in the dark.
Old November 4, 2011, 08:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, I guess I spoke too soon on this monitor. Within 3 days I noticed a very bright white spot (misaligned LED?) about mid way up on the right hand side, a not as bright white shadow in the top right corner and the bottom left side has this lovely purple hue that runs a good 4-5" into the screen. Everything looks fine when you have bright colours on screen but looks like absolute CRAP when dark or black is in those areas of the screen, watching movies or videos in particular.
To add to the quality (or lack of) issues, the damn thing won't shut off using the power button, it has to be powered off using the main switch located beside the power chord!

Needless to say I have returned it and frankly I have no faith left in ASUS monitors after now having tried one of the 3d screens and this one and ended up returning both because of poor quality. I guess I'll stick with the trusty ole Sammy or LG or maybe splurge for a Dell if a good sale comes up

Old November 4, 2011, 09:24 AM
Allstar

Kind of funny you mention your lack of faith in Asus monitors. I now have to opposite impression haha. Since I can get a Samsung to last more than 3 years, and I find that getting it to come out of sleep mode takes minutes sometimes I finally tried out a Asus 27" and am extremely pleased with it. While it's only 1080p the picture is great and comes out of sleep in a couple seconds. So basically I'm done with Samsungs after being an exclusive user of them for years now.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N