Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 1, 2011, 07:02 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aminal View Post
Just before I came across the Hardware Canucks review, I'd seen viewing angle pictures in the TFT Central, FlatpanelsHD and prad.de reviews - they looked fine and the accompanying review text was positive. So it had me wondering.

After my own U2412M arrived and I got to see its viewing angle characteristics myself, I realised what the Hardware Canucks picture is showing - if you go off-centre horizontally and vertically (the HC horizontal pic is taken from above a little), you get a more significant contrast shift/darkening than at a horizontal angle alone. The other reviews depict the screen off-centre horizontally or vertically, but not both at the same time.

Seems to be a dirty little secret of the e-IPS panel type. I reconnected my e-IPS 2209WA the U2412M was replacing, and it had the same characteristic (either I hadn't previously noticed the issue, or I'd forgotten about it). Not that it's anywhere near as bad as TN when, say, looking up at the monitor while sitting on the floor. And viewing the monitor in person, the change in image at the sort of angle shown in the HC review pic does not appear as extreme as conveyed in the photo.
Yes, there are a couple things at play here as well:

1) The anti-glare on these screens, as well as on the 2209WA is a bit aggressive and the way it diffuses/disperses light in a properly lit room works to reduce visual contrast from off-angles. It gives a slight greyish "haze" over the picture when viewed from an angle in general, and if it also reflects light, the haze becomes a bit stronger.

2) IPS monitors in general lose contrast from the side and upper angles because their black levels "rise" and become a bit more greyish.

What AkG did that most other reviewers don't do is use the monitor as it's intended: In a normally lit room.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old December 18, 2011, 02:54 AM
MVP

My System Specs

How does the U2412 compare to the HP ZR24 (S-IPS, 7ms g-g, 400 cd/2) which seems to retail around $400, and the newer ZR2440 (6ms g-g, 350 cd/2, LED backlit but doesn't specify type of IPS) at the same or a little lower price. Both are 1920x1200, 24" screens.

I presume the 2440 will have a narrower colour gamut in exchange for the LED and greatly improved efficiency, but is it the same panel type as the U2412M?
Old December 18, 2011, 03:58 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
How does the U2412 compare to the HP ZR24 (S-IPS, 7ms g-g, 400 cd/2) which seems to retail around $400, and the newer ZR2440 (6ms g-g, 350 cd/2, LED backlit but doesn't specify type of IPS) at the same or a little lower price. Both are 1920x1200, 24" screens.

I presume the 2440 will have a narrower colour gamut in exchange for the LED and greatly improved efficiency, but is it the same panel type as the U2412M?
Apparently, HP's quote of a S-IPS panel in the ZR24w is actually misleading. It's a CCFL backlit e-IPS panel with standard sRGB gamut coverage. The main difference compared to the U2412M is that the Dell only uses 6-bit colour processing plus A-FRC for dithering of colours, while the ZR24w is full 8-bit internal processing. TFT Central has a review of the ZR24w that has lots of useful information in it.

They've also got a review of the ZR2440w, but they're trying to glean some money from it before it goes live on December 23, so you'll have to wait until then to see it. It's probably most similar to the U2412M (as in LED-W backlit e-IPS panel, sRGB gamut, 6-bit + A-FRC).
Old May 5, 2012, 06:55 PM
Rookie

Hi all,

Problem with u2412: I think the Power LED is bleeding into the screen. How can we disable or destroy the Power indicator light please!

Thank you
Old May 10, 2012, 08:11 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumpy View Post
Hi all,

Problem with u2412: I think the Power LED is bleeding into the screen. How can we disable or destroy the Power indicator light please!

Thank you
There is really no easy way to do this, you'll have to open the monitor up by removing the front of the bezel ( clips attach the front of the bezel to the back), remove 2 small screws that hold the power led / menu buttons down, and cover the led with some electrical tape, reattach and done.
Old March 18, 2013, 02:23 PM
Trial Member

Default What does that mean?

I would like to know what does this part about gaming mean: "With an 8ms response time, the Dell can certainly be used in this area but it exhibit an occasional dropped frame or “hiccup”. Does it mean for example that some times the frame rate drops randomly to a random speed for a little while, or some frame freezes randomly or some random frame is not shown at all? Or do you mean ghosting?

You write that every IPS panel has this same issue but I did not find anything of it from any other reviews on any other internet sites. Maybe some other site has some information about it written on some other words but I can't find it or understand it.
Old March 20, 2013, 06:50 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptuhkane View Post
I would like to know what does this part about gaming mean: "With an 8ms response time, the Dell can certainly be used in this area but it exhibit an occasional dropped frame or “hiccup”. Does it mean for example that some times the frame rate drops randomly to a random speed for a little while, or some frame freezes randomly or some random frame is not shown at all? Or do you mean ghosting?

You write that every IPS panel has this same issue but I did not find anything of it from any other reviews on any other internet sites. Maybe some other site has some information about it written on some other words but I can't find it or understand it.
Don't know about that. I don't think I've ever experienced it. I've seen judder on these monitors with certain programs, but that was the fault of the game or program. But what do I know, I'm over 40 now

I've even used the Overlord Tempest 2560x1440 screen at 120hz and didn't see this, and this is also an IPS panel.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732