Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 25, 2011, 03:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Talking

Thanks 10e, good to know that I didn't screw up my monitors factory default menu. I only press the top and second button, so I don't think I mess up anything.

I did a little comparison, comparing a 2412 vs a 2311, the w-led seems have a brighter view. I also notice the w-led to have darker color on dark and brighter color on bright. And during movies, the ccfl panel give a more redish/blush on face vs a more paled/white on the w-led.

Maybe it's 2 different panels? Now I am just waiting for the spider pro 3 to go on sale again.
Old October 25, 2011, 03:24 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Oh I agree 10e on the SpyderPro. Its not the best. My point is that when all monitors have been tested on the same equipment the results will line up: in comparison to each other. Just as with any other area, when dealing with a review sample of one and a Point Of View of one person....nothing should be taken as gospel; rather it should give a person a good idea how it stacks up against the competition. Nothing more nothing less. :)
At some point I will most likely change over to a Lacie colorimter...but TBH am hesitant as it will require throwing out ALL the previous monitors in the charts and starting from square one(all are samples not "keepers") for very little gain. Right now the charts tell you how X monitor stacks up against others...just like I want them to.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 25, 2011, 08:55 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvgearx View Post
Thanks 10e, good to know that I didn't screw up my monitors factory default menu. I only press the top and second button, so I don't think I mess up anything.

I did a little comparison, comparing a 2412 vs a 2311, the w-led seems have a brighter view. I also notice the w-led to have darker color on dark and brighter color on bright. And during movies, the ccfl panel give a more redish/blush on face vs a more paled/white on the w-led.

Maybe it's 2 different panels? Now I am just waiting for the spider pro 3 to go on sale again.
As AkG said, it's probably not a bad idea to get the Spyder3 Express and see how it goes. You can always upgrade the software later on, or even try a different package, as the Spyder3 is widely supported by other software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Oh I agree 10e on the SpyderPro. Its not the best. My point is that when all monitors have been tested on the same equipment the results will line up: in comparison to each other. Just as with any other area, when dealing with a review sample of one and a Point Of View of one person....nothing should be taken as gospel; rather it should give a person a good idea how it stacks up against the competition. Nothing more nothing less. :)
At some point I will most likely change over to a Lacie colorimter...but TBH am hesitant as it will require throwing out ALL the previous monitors in the charts and starting from square one(all are samples not "keepers") for very little gain. Right now the charts tell you how X monitor stacks up against others...just like I want them to.
Yeah if it's the original Spyder or Spyder2, it may not be the best at detecting dark colors/blacks. In those cases trying to figure out contrast from a higher brightness might give you better accuracy.

Actually I have a Spyder2, so I might take it out of the box and see how it stacks up against my newer models.

The Lacie sensor I have that came with the Blue Eye Pro is horrendous. Whites are pink, color temperatures are all wrong, etc.... Wait for the software support from HCFR and other packages get there for the I1D3 (Eye One Display 3).

It is extremely fast, and uses non-organic filters for red/green/blue which will last longer and stay accurate longer.

Generally the Spyder3 is still popular and a good all-round colorimeter for both wide and standard gamut.

BTW, love the dogs.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old November 24, 2011, 10:58 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Sorry to resurrect a slightly older thread, but I figure this is relevant to the thread. I'm looking to purchase 3 Dell U2412M's for use in an Eyefinity setup. I had originally contacted Chere as he said he can get them for people around $300, but I'm having a hard time contacting him reliably and punctually, and Dell's lowered their prices for the U2412M's for Black Friday to $300 (plus taxes and environmental fees, which is already included in Chere's price). Should I still bother trying to get them through him, or just bite the extra cash and order them from Dell? Shipping doesn't factor in here, as both Dell and Chere (as I understand) offer free shipping.

(In other news, first post! w00t!)
Old November 25, 2011, 05:36 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedirock View Post
Sorry to resurrect a slightly older thread, but I figure this is relevant to the thread. I'm looking to purchase 3 Dell U2412M's for use in an Eyefinity setup. I had originally contacted Chere as he said he can get them for people around $300, but I'm having a hard time contacting him reliably and punctually, and Dell's lowered their prices for the U2412M's for Black Friday to $300 (plus taxes and environmental fees, which is already included in Chere's price). Should I still bother trying to get them through him, or just bite the extra cash and order them from Dell? Shipping doesn't factor in here, as both Dell and Chere (as I understand) offer free shipping.

Pros from getting from Chere: Le$$ money
Pros from getting from Dell: If you don't like it, it's easier to return it as you are the direct purchaser, and there is no middle man (I'm assuming)

And also there is the reliability factor. Chere could get them cheaper back when they first came out, but they are going on sale a lot and I'm sure he has limited time to allocate to getting them.

It also might have been a group buy thing where, if he got a number in one order, he'd get his corp. discount.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old November 27, 2011, 07:41 AM
Trial Member

How is "matte" a pro?

I call it a con.

The few screen that exist with a shiny surface have much much better picture.

Reflections are not a big problem. All CRT monitors has shiny screen (naturally, they ware made of glass).

All this anti-reflecting crap just ruins it. It makes the light from the screen, somehow diffuse.

Why is it that every single laptop has a shiny surface, when that is the one place, where reflection could be a problem, since you take it around in different settings? But almost not one single stationary monitor has it? Except for of course the big apple screens, which I would love to get, but are out of my price range.

Almost 100% of monitors today have matte surface, so why even mention it in cons and pros? And why put it in pros without further explanation?
Old November 27, 2011, 09:28 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedirock View Post

I bought mine last night from Dell, for 340$. Still on sale, until tomorrow. Will make a nice change (and improvement) over that HP w1907 I've been using.
Old November 27, 2011, 11:51 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10e View Post
Pros from getting from Chere: Le$$ money
Pros from getting from Dell: If you don't like it, it's easier to return it as you are the direct purchaser, and there is no middle man (I'm assuming)

And also there is the reliability factor. Chere could get them cheaper back when they first came out, but they are going on sale a lot and I'm sure he has limited time to allocate to getting them.

It also might have been a group buy thing where, if he got a number in one order, he'd get his corp. discount.
True, hadn't thought of it being a group buy. The problem is I'd really like to get these before Christmas (not a present, but will be used at a party on New Year's Eve). That's why I'm starting to get worried, especially with shipping times.

EDIT: Yeah, you're right. There's actually a thread over at RedFlagDeals by Chere for GBs of U2412M. Last post there was last Tuesday, saying he was getting in another shipment of monitors tomorrow (last Wednesday). No updates since then. Don't know if I'm able to post the link or not, so I'll leave it unposted for the time being.

Last edited by jedirock; November 28, 2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old November 29, 2011, 08:05 AM
Rookie

The information is very interesting. You make me understand. The U2412M is a best monitor for me and i like it.
Old December 1, 2011, 07:41 PM
Trial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulman View Post
Other than that, I like the article. I'm shocked by the less than impressive viewing angles, though. Even for an e-IPS, I'd still expect good results!
Just before I came across the Hardware Canucks review, I'd seen viewing angle pictures in the TFT Central, FlatpanelsHD and prad.de reviews - they looked fine and the accompanying review text was positive. So it had me wondering.

After my own U2412M arrived and I got to see its viewing angle characteristics myself, I realised what the Hardware Canucks picture is showing - if you go off-centre horizontally and vertically (the HC horizontal pic is taken from above a little), you get a more significant contrast shift/darkening than at a horizontal angle alone. The other reviews depict the screen off-centre horizontally or vertically, but not both at the same time.

Seems to be a dirty little secret of the e-IPS panel type. I reconnected my e-IPS 2209WA the U2412M was replacing, and it had the same characteristic (either I hadn't previously noticed the issue, or I'd forgotten about it). Not that it's anywhere near as bad as TN when, say, looking up at the monitor while sitting on the floor. And viewing the monitor in person, the change in image at the sort of angle shown in the HC review pic does not appear as extreme as conveyed in the photo.