Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Display Units (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/)
-   -   DVI vs VGA (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/47369-dvi-vs-vga.html)

supaflyx3 October 16, 2011 02:14 AM

DVI vs VGA

So i bought a new monitor, but it didn't come with a DVI cable so im using a vga cable with a dvi-vga adapter, in conjunction with my other monitor that is using DVI.
I don't really see a noticeable difference between image quality, but it's hard to compare. The only difference i can really notice is that my new monitor is a little warmer then my old one, even though they're almost identical monitors. Would this be due to VGA, or just the panel itself?
Is there a picture, or something i could use to compare dvi to vga to see if its worth while to buy a dvi cable, or just keep it the way it is.

JMCD October 16, 2011 02:36 AM

You could perhaps swap the DVI ports at the back and switch the image between the monitors to see if you notice any difference. I personally have had a hard time seeing much of difference between the two as well.

ilya October 16, 2011 03:45 AM

It's merely digital vs analogue - if there's no variable(s) degrading the signal over the VGA cable, there should be no quality difference. (unless you're running at really high resolutions) Using a digital signal is just usually more practical in real world scenarios.

Behemoth- October 16, 2011 06:35 AM

I believe VGA is just fine for resolutions up to 1920x1200

EmptyMellon October 16, 2011 08:28 AM

My understanding is that DVI also provides greater signal strength; hence you can run a much longer DVI cable then you could over a VGA cable and I believe that is where you 'would' notice the difference (in a addition to resolution). But most mortals do not use a 6ft+ monitor cable in their homes.

boggtrotter59 October 16, 2011 08:41 AM

When I started using a KVM switch which is VGA, I didn't notice any degradation in image quality as opposed to using a DVI cable.

Arinoth October 16, 2011 09:04 AM

It's just the monitor for whatever reason running warmer, nothing to do with dvi or vga. I don't think VGA actually has a resolution max, just the fact that the higher you go the less distance you can run it before signal degregation.

enaberif October 16, 2011 09:18 AM

I noticed a huge difference between using vga and an adapter to hdmi on my 46" tv and also notice a difference on smaller monitors.

VGA cables have a tendency to be a bit more blurry and not so clear and sharp for an image.

I always use dvi or hdmi.

Killswitch October 16, 2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 558233)
VGA cables have a tendency to be a bit more blurry and not so clear and sharp for an image.

I always use dvi or hdmi.

I agree, DVI produces a clearer/sharper image then VGA at any resolution. I've even seen this on a 19" LCD. If you can find a DVI cable for a good price go for it. But first maybe go through the settings on both monitors and see if you can get them relatively close. Maybe on the particular model you have it will be just as good either way. But if you think you can live with it the way it is and looks the same, then maybe you need new glasses? :haha: Just kidding.

Here's some very interesting info that my help you to decide supaflyx3. DVI vs. VGA - NVIDIA Forums

Jake_HT October 16, 2011 10:58 AM

cheap at monoprice, get a DVI cable

For only $5.19 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 6ft 28AWG CL2 Dual Link DVI-D Cable - Black | 28AWG DVI-D Cables