Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 12, 2011, 01:55 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Looking for a New HDTV; Need Opinions

Here's the quick story behind this one.

I own one of the now-legendary Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-111FD sets, circa 2008. For those of you wondering; yes, it really is that good and nothing I have ever seen comes close. Unfortunately though, after almost four years of operation, it seems to be sliding downhill. Every once in a while it won't start up, only one video input is recognized, etc.

So, I'm officially in the market for a new HDTV. I have a pretty good idea of what I'm leaning towards but I'd love some additional opinions.

Here are the limits:

- Max $3,500 budget. Would go to $4,000 if it is something worthwhile.
- Max of 55" but no smaller than 50"
- DOES NOT have to be 3D capable (though at that price range, I doubt I could find anything without it...)
- Plasma or LCD or LCD / LED....any one is an option

Thoughts?
Old October 12, 2011, 01:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

One question, why such a large budget if you don't require 3D?
I'm personally a fan of the aquos series TVs, Sharp AQUOS Quattron 52" 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV (LC52LE830U) : 50" - 59" LED TVs - Future Shop
Old October 12, 2011, 02:59 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I've had no issues ever with Panasonic Vieras since 2007
Old October 12, 2011, 03:32 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Why a max of 55''? For that price you can get a 70'' LCD/LED Sharp Quatron....
Sharp AQUOS Quattron 70" 1080p120Hz LED HDTV (LC70LE732U) : 60" & Up LED TVs - Future Shop

Thats what I plan on getting ($ permitting, someday). Go big or go home, lol.
Old October 12, 2011, 04:27 PM

Dot pitch. I am only about 15' away from the TV and I don't want anything larger.

As for the budget, I don't want it holding back my selection regardless of 3D or not.

I haven't heard much that's good about the Quattrons...unless that has changed over the last 6 or so months...
Old October 12, 2011, 04:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Why a max of 55''? For that price you can get a 70'' LCD/LED Sharp Quatron....
Sharp AQUOS Quattron 70" 1080p120Hz LED HDTV (LC70LE732U) : 60" & Up LED TVs - Future Shop

Thats what I plan on getting ($ permitting, someday). Go big or go home, lol.
I'm assuming it's due to 1080p pixel pitch, which pretty much makes anything over 55" pretty pointless in terms of image quality. That or he just doesn't have the space.

That said I'm a little confused as to why you Sky, of all people is asking people that probably know much less about HDTV's for opinions on your own personal HDTV. Especially with that large of a budget when pretty much only 3D TV's cost that much.

But if your looking at plasmas, I'd recommend spending ~$1500 on a Panasonic G series 54/55" screen and saving the rest for when you come across the perfect OLED/LED screen that doesn't cost more than a car.

Siderant: What is with all these people falling for Sharp Quattron marketing? It's marketed towards a primarily male audience and yet it's genetically impossible for men to see the 4th colour spectrum.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Dot pitch. I am only about 15' away from the TV and I don't want anything larger.

As for the budget, I don't want it holding back my selection regardless of 3D or not.

I haven't heard much that's good about the Quattrons...unless that has changed over the last 6 or so months...
TBH, I personally have not seen anything worth a budget that large, especially with plasma screens so dirt cheap.

I was looking at the new Quattrons a while back, I didn't bother looking into them further as it seemed like the same old marketing BS to me.

Last edited by ilya; October 12, 2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old October 12, 2011, 07:04 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Hmmm. I concur with your statement - I've never seen sharper image.

Pioneer stopped making the Elite line 2 years ago. And this year, Sharp bought the rights and started distribution of the Elite line again.
Elite LCD TV - Simply the Finest HDTV Experience Their 'smallest' screen is the PRO-60X5FD. Price? Over 5 big ones.

My choice, if I ever had the funds to support such venture within your budget? Samsung's PN59D8000.

And here's a review that actually compares the panel to a 50" Kuro Elite: Samsung PN59D8000 Plasma 3DTV (105) | AVguide.
I'd love to see one in the wild, and feast my eyes... if only my own Sammy could die...

Last edited by 3.0charlie; October 12, 2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old October 12, 2011, 07:48 PM

The budget is a "max". I am of course willing to spend less.

As for the new Elites, the Sharps may have the name but they don't have the dev team. Believe it or not, two went to Samsung, one to Intel, one to Gigabyte and one to Apple. Where the rest went I don't know but I am pretty sure it wasn't to Sharp....

I was looking at the XBR-55HX929 but the markup here in Canada is ridiculous. $2400 USD / $3800 CAD

The Panny P55VT30 is another option but becoming VERY rare these days.
Old October 12, 2011, 11:09 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The budget is a "max". I am of course willing to spend less.

As for the new Elites, the Sharps may have the name but they don't have the dev team. Believe it or not, two went to Samsung, one to Intel, one to Gigabyte and one to Apple. Where the rest went I don't know but I am pretty sure it wasn't to Sharp....

I was looking at the XBR-55HX929 but the markup here in Canada is ridiculous. $2400 USD / $3800 CAD

The Panny P55VT30 is another option but becoming VERY rare these days.
In reference to the VT30, I was somewhat surprised that the Owner of a high end Home Theater shop does not even bother bringing them in, He has a GT30 (64") on display and stands by it as best value for for your $$. For what little more the VT30 offers He feels it's not worth it. The VT30 does have the best picture (1 pane of glass vs the GT30's 2 pane) but not enough to warrant the price difference.

On a side note, this conversation I had with the Owner was struck up when I challenged the $$ between the ST30 and the GT30, is the THX option worth the extra $$? He says yes, it's a no brainer and I think I agree with him. Planning on picking up a 50" GT30 in the next couple months.

So I guess my suggestion is a Panny GT30 lol.

Edit: Looking at the LCD Elite, I'm a little curious, I'm surprised its THX certified. Every LCD I've ever seen looks like crap when the 'higher' hertz/true-motion etc is turn on--I now want to hunt down an Elite and check it out.

Last edited by The Quicken; October 12, 2011 at 11:16 PM. Reason: b/c I don't believe in proof reading
Old October 13, 2011, 05:45 AM

The issue I have with current TVs is that this 120Hz crap has necessitated a complete top to bottom switch to TN-based panels for non-plasma sets. The result has been a serious degradation in overall picture quality, viewing angles and backlight / edge light uniformity.

One of the last "great" LCD TVs was the Samsung LN52B750. It sported a PVA paneland wasn't 3D compatible but had some of the best image processing available which resulted in great motion performance and very little input lag. To this day I'm kicking myself in the ass for not buying one at the time.

Alternately, Samsung sent me one of their new UN55D8000 TVs and so far so good. Unfortunately though, like almost all of Sammy's current LED TVs, there is some vertical banding which gets quite distracting.