F@H

My System Specs

Default lcd vs plasma

Its a simple question folks opinions wanted thanks for all you input
Old October 10, 2011, 06:58 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I mainly go LCD because I hate that with a plasma if the screen sits a little too long in one spot it burns in and retains the image. Even if it doesn't cause any permanent damage I still find it annoying to deal with. IMO the slightly improved picture quality isn't worth it unless it's purely for movies/tv.
Old October 10, 2011, 06:58 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well, actually it's NOT a simple question. What are you going to be using it for? If it's for TV/Film then plasma is still the best picture you can get. If you're using it for a monitor then plasma isn't very good as image retention, even in the current generation of high end Panasonic's, is still something of an issue. This wouldn't matter for gaming, but your desktop may cause image retention. This is not the same thing as burn is as eventually the image will fade from the picture.
Old October 10, 2011, 07:22 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippman View Post
Well, actually it's NOT a simple question. What are you going to be using it for? If it's for TV/Film then plasma is still the best picture you can get. If you're using it for a monitor then plasma isn't very good as image retention, even in the current generation of high end Panasonic's, is still something of an issue. This wouldn't matter for gaming, but your desktop may cause image retention. This is not the same thing as burn is as eventually the image will fade from the picture.
^^^^^ This. All of it.

FYI I used "burn" as a generic term for the lasting impression made by a still image. Ex. say I hit pause to grab some food from the microwave real quick (3 mins tops) and I un-pause and feel like I just took a bong hit ;)
Old October 10, 2011, 07:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

it will be hooked to my htpc but used mainly for hd and movies some pc games too like dirt i have had several great lcd tv and even good led lcd tv's but there some really great pricing on new plasma's but burn in is a major worry for me
Old October 10, 2011, 07:48 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
it will be hooked to my htpc but used mainly for hd and movies some pc games too like dirt i have had several great lcd tv and even good led lcd tv's but there some really great pricing on new plasma's but burn in is a major worry for me
As long as you aren't like me and tend to sit on menu screens for 10+ minutes at a time (several times a day at least) then you should be ok with a plasma if that is what you really want. If you do sit on menus a lot and you still want the plasma then just get used to turning it on and off when you pause and that shouldn't cause an issue either.
Old October 10, 2011, 07:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well thats kinda the thing it wont be on all that much i have many other huge screens fro my internet that will be used and this will be in the living room just evenings adn some pc games at night for me and the girl some times kids movies but it wont be on all day or even close to that but i have never owned a plasma hence me questioning it a lot
Old October 10, 2011, 08:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

i bought the lg 50" 720p a few months ago and i'm verry happy with it
upscaling is good pc looks great on it and movies are just fantastic
my only complaint is when its bright in the room you can see reflexions
i was gonna buy the panasonic 3d plasma just cause it didnt have the glare
but not worth the xtra $$

the fact that i went to costco n the y had it on sale for 540 n they gave me 130$ refund made it better

still worth the 650+tax i originaly paid for it

if you can buy from costco its a + for the xtra warranty

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Old October 10, 2011, 08:26 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
well thats kinda the thing it wont be on all that much i have many other huge screens fro my internet that will be used and this will be in the living room just evenings adn some pc games at night for me and the girl some times kids movies but it wont be on all day or even close to that but i have never owned a plasma hence me questioning it a lot
With that information I would say go for it if you want better picture quality and can get a good price. You shouldn't have many issues if the above quote is what you intend to do with it.
Old October 11, 2011, 05:33 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Plasma is the superior display technology for film and video games. PERIOD. You're talking refresh rates of 500-600hz vs 240hz on the fastest LED LCD TV's. Plasma just crushes LCD in smoothness of image playback. Plasma also has superior colors and black levels to LED LCD or traditional LCD.

Consider this, every "advancement" in LCD technology in the last 10 years was to fix a problem that doesn't exist in plasma in the first place.

LED's to fix black level performance.
Faster refresh rates to fix motion blur
Quad color pixels to fix color reproduction
etc

The ONLY thing plasma does worse than LCD is it's tendency for image retention. And that doesn't happen very often anymore. I can leave my X-Box on a menu screen for 20 min, come back and it's just fine. Most plasma's have features to prevent this now such as image shift. Image shift basically "moves" the picture for a 10th of a second or so if it's remained static for longer than 5 min to avoid image retention.

I own two plasma's. A 50" 720P Panasonic in my bedroom and a 65" 1080P THX certified Panasonic in my home theater. I'm kinda a home theater junkie. If you want specific information please ask.