Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11, 2011, 11:39 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

LCDs are better unless you have a very dark room. Plasma performance with ambient light all around is not as good. Also, power consumption is far better in an LCD (especially the LED lit versions). Fr almost all situations other than a home theater room I would pick LCD.

Razz
Old October 11, 2011, 11:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

I have a 46" LCD and my parents have a 58" Plasma.

I'd say their picture is probably a bit sharper but the screen as stated SUCKS ass in bright roooms.
Old October 11, 2011, 02:25 PM
MVP

Been running a 50" PLASMA Panasonic for 5 years now (supposedly one of the best models for the year), surf the net on it, watch TV on it, HTPC. No ghosting, no annoying flickering, no funny colors, no mouse lag. PQ IS so good the only reason I would ever consider upgrading to another tv would be for a bigger screen.

I always feel good about the purchase when I have friends come over (some of whom would happen to own LCD TV's) say how good the picture on this plasma looks sooo much better vs the LCD they have. I always think they must be older LCD's, so I asked them how old they are...most are fairly new at 6-18 months old LCD's.

Buggered if I know much..but I know I like my "old" Panasonic Plasma.

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy
Old October 12, 2011, 04:37 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I just purchased a new Panasonic TC-P55GT30 55" Plasma and it's awesome, it's replacing an older 50" Sony Wega LCD Rear Projection TV so in all fairness it's no contest. I went to the store with a Samsung LCD/LED in mind and looking at it in the store, side by side with the Panasonic Plasma, it also had an exception Picture Quality however the Blacks were deeper on the Plasma, the Plasma appeared smoother when the camera panned in complex scenes, and it was cheaper. I think that at least in this case they're were both excellent TV but the Plasma was better in my opinion. With regard to image retention not a problem so far, I have a Wii and plug my Laptop in for some big screen gaming and surfing. There are built in technologies the TV uses to reduce/eliminate this.

Another Guy From Canada
Old October 12, 2011, 06:12 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Panny Plasma is the best picture for movies/gaming.

The only thing you need to figure out is , what's your budget and how much do you appreciate quality? Do you have a discerning eye?

I feel confident in saying burn in is no longer a valid concern with current Plasmas. Image retention yes, but no more annoying than the same image retention you would have had on an 'old tube' TV when you had a static image on the screen for a long time.

Some members in this thread have mentioned time variants of 10 to 20 min plus of static image on screen with no worries....yay. I game for long periods of time on my Panny Plasma, 3 to 8+ hours straight and I've only ever had mild image retention.

It is wise to put your new Plasma through a 100 to 150 'break in' period, this allows for the phosphors to harden reducing what chance there is for any burn in. I'm starting to form the opinion this also helps with image retention. My estimates of static image on my screen are not exaggerations.

(PS- I've been playing RAGE from id Software, OMG, seamless gameplay at 60 frames per sec, I get distracted just looking around on screen)
Old October 12, 2011, 06:49 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The Quicken makes a good point about "burning in" the plasmas. Sencore, the color calibration people, recommend this. You can get a DVD image off AVS Forum that will do this. It basically cycles through some 256 colors randomly for a few min a piece and loops. I ran this on both my plasmas while at work for a week.

But then again I'm a total home theater junkie with a 7.1 KEF system, Oppo BluRay player,etc.