Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Display Units (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/)
-   -   Unsure of monitor tech these days, could use advice. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/46827-unsure-monitor-tech-these-days-could-use-advice.html)

BootlegUsher September 28, 2011 06:26 PM

Unsure of monitor tech these days, could use advice.

So now that I have an SSD, my computer is pretty much good to go. It really rocks, and I love it. Lately however I have noticed that gaming on my 52 inch LCD TV, I notice jagged tearing in some of my games, and I am unsure if this TV is the ideal way to play PC games.

I am thinking it is time for a new, fancy computer monitor for my desk but I have no idea what is what these days. I hear things like LED backlit and TN panels, IPS panels etc... and don't know which way to go. I read another thread where the ASUS proart was being reccommended but I don't need any of those professional features I saw in the review, like the card reader.

I hear lots of people saying that 16:10 is great, don't really know why or understand what that even is. I wiki'ed it and apparently 1920:1200 is 16:10 so that would be my target resolution. In the ASUS proart review it mentioned that movies shot in 16:9 will be streched on a 16:10 monitor, that sounds crappy. I will be doing almost all of my movie watching on my TV anyway, so I guess it is no big deal.

My budget is probably around 400 dollars. If I don't have to spend that much then I won't, but if it will get me something noticibly better then I will.

To summarize: I want a monitor probably around 23" that looks great and responds well to games. I am not some FPS Dave tweaker that notices 121 FPS from 120 FPS, but I do notice jagged tearing on my TV and don't want that. Viewing angle isn't a big deal, and it will be in the basement so light levels are not much of a concern. Suggestions are much appreciated.

Kilauea September 28, 2011 06:34 PM

Having an IPS panel 16:10 monitor, I can definitively say that both those features are worth it. Now, if you go for 23in, then immediatly u fall in the 16:9 range, so that would let me an IPS panel to recommend you.

Here are a few suggestions:
Dell U2312HM This monitor is brand new, so there is not much info about it and I have read nothing at all about it. I believe its a "low quality" IPS panel, which means it should beat just about any TN panel.
Dell U2412M This monitor is also new, its basicly the same thing as the above model. Its basicly a lower end version of my monitor. Its an IPS panel, 24in and 16:10 which could still make it quite appealing.

BootlegUsher September 28, 2011 07:06 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. Will the 8ms response time and 60hz refresh rate be limiting though? When I see 240hz TV's in the store it makes me nervous to invest in 60hz.

Kilauea September 28, 2011 07:10 PM

I am no expert about that, but it is my understanding that the signal is always 60hz, but the 120 and 240hz tv just compensates.
As for the 8ms and 60hz more precisely, as I said that is what I have for my monitor (U2410) and have not noticed any problem, my gf has a faster monitor (TN) and I don't notice any difference in speed, but on her screen I can notice the difference between TN and IPS just by sitting in front of it.

10e September 30, 2011 07:42 AM

Hey BootlegUsher,

The 120hz/240hz models in the stores use a "frame interpolation" frame generating technology. Basically it's a DSP with some extra memory which buffers two frames, and uses algorithms to artificially generate extra "in-between" frames, re-orders those frames, then spews it out. This technology can improve apparent motion smoothness, and because BluRay is 24hz, reduces "juddering" which is a jerky, non-linear movement on camera pans and motion.

So here's how it works: a 60hz signal is provided to the TV (except when using 3D), frame 1 is received by the TV, then frame 2. The TV does not display them. It takes both frames, puts them in memory and (if 120hz) creates an intermediate frame where it calculates the in-between motion, then takes frame 1, inserts a new frame, then frame 2 and outputs it.

Neat stuff, BUT, this causes LAG! The more frames you buffer, hold in memory, create, re-order and then spew out, takes longer than just taking a 120hz signal or even a 60hz signal and just displaying those frames when received. a 1920x1080 frame (1080p) is 2 megapixels, so storing three frames in memory requires 6 megapixels of RGB data. That's a lot of data to store, buffer, then throw on a panel.

I hope that helps.

120hz PC monitors use higher speed digital links like DVI-D dual-link (not dual cable) or DisplayPort to receive a 120hz signal and just display it. Less lag, and the computer generates the frames. This assumes your computer can hold a consistent 120hz frame rate, or even higher than 60hz. Otherwise it may not be that spectacular of a difference. Right now the issue with these is there are only TN PC displays with 120hz capability, so you get fast refresh and pixel response, but you lose good vertical viewing angles.

TNs show the top as darker than the bottom even when you sit right in front of them.

Don't worry about 8ms. There are a number of 3 or 5ms displays that have some transitions from one color to the other that are higher than 10ms. I have a U2412M and the 8ms is fast enough, and IPS is consistent with pixel response. Ie. you don't get dark on dark transitions thar are slow (like S-PVA panels) and light to dark or vice versa that are faster. LCD displays do not have linear response. Some are faster going from a gray to gray, than from a blue to red for example. IPS generally is the most consistent here, where most transitions will fall into a certain ms range and don't deviate as much as S-PVA, and some TNs.

I'd go with Kilauea's suggestion to check out the U2312HM or U2412M. When viewing content from a computer that is 16:9, the computer will handle the aspect ratio properly and display black bars top and bottom to keep the image from stretching. HD TV content is exclusively 16:9, but movies would be 2.35:1 as well, which is more like 21:9, so a 16:9 screen would still display black bars here.

Sagath September 30, 2011 08:32 AM

10e, that is an excellent response!

Really the only thing to add is the panel types, and that's mostly addressed by research. Quick and dirty; TN are cheaper but worse viewing quality then IPS.

oh and as to tearing on your TV when gaming: You can probably eliminate tis by forcing Vertical sync on through your graphic card drivers or in-game settings

BootlegUsher September 30, 2011 09:07 AM

Thank you for the responose, that helps quite a bit.

10e September 30, 2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BootlegUsher (Post 553543)
Thank you for the responose, that helps quite a bit.

Glad I could help ya!

If you have any questions about specific monitor models, lemme know and I'll do my best to answer from what I know.

@Sagath: Thanks for the additional info!

BootlegUsher September 30, 2011 09:29 PM

I will definately want to actually see the monitor I am going to buy, so I will probably get one from Memory Express which is near my house. What do you think of this model, which is on sale:
LG IPS236V-PN 23in Widescreen LED LCD at Memory Express Computers

Luay79 October 1, 2011 02:58 AM

Asus does have a cheaper 1080 version.

Newegg.com - ASUS PA Series PA238Q Black 23" 6ms HDMI Height,Swivel,Pivot & Tilt adjustment LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 ASCR 50000000:1
Newegg.com - ASUS ProArt Series PA246Q Black 24.1" 6ms P-IPS Height/Swivel/Pivot Adjustable LCD Monitor w/2 USB hub, Card Reader & Display port 400cd/m2 50000:1 DCR

Reputation, history and warranties aside, (and I'm not saying or agreeing to anyone belittleling Asus' warranty) I can't see how Dell can beat these displays.

Be warned that IPS is its extremely bright. It would annoy a sleeper if you're using your display in the dark.