Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 19, 2008, 09:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Glossy Framed Screens

Whose bright freakin idea was it to come up with this brilliant one?

Its like 99% of LCD monitors out there have a crappy glossy frame and guess what .. I DO NOT LIKE IT.

I'm probably gonna end up grabbing a 226bw and guess what.. 800 grit sandpaper to the frame.
Old February 19, 2008, 09:59 PM
Rookie

A glossy frame wouldn't bother me. The panel, however, is another story. I looked at one the other day in Staples that was horrible in that regard. I think it was an HP. At least it appeared to be glossy anyway.

Speaking of the Samsung 226bw, do they still distribute the "A" panel or should I feel confident that I'd get one with the "S" panel if I ordered one today?
Old February 19, 2008, 10:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbetang View Post
A glossy frame wouldn't bother me. The panel, however, is another story. I looked at one the other day in Staples that was horrible in that regard. I think it was an HP. At least it appeared to be glossy anyway.

Speaking of the Samsung 226bw, do they still distribute the "A" panel or should I feel confident that I'd get one with the "S" panel if I ordered one today?
Screen ... frame .. both bother me.

A, S, V, W, G, H, I .. who cares. Just calibrate it :)
Old February 19, 2008, 10:08 PM
MVP
F@H

I was lucky to get an S panel at future shop last year. I am in the market for a second one but all the display models I have seen are A panels. Not very reassuring. Scared to buy one and open the box to find an A panel. Even at Best Buy that open here just before X-mas had an A panel on display.

That aside. I love my 226BW
RIG #1 - Intel E8400 // TRU-X 120 w noctua NF-P12 // GA-X38-DQ6 // GTX285 OC // 8g Ram OCZ Fatal1ty PC8500 // X-Fi Elite Pro sound // z-5500 speakers // OCZ 850w Gamer XTream PSU // WD Raptor 150g // Seagate 1Tb // 2xSeagate 500g ex// Logitec G-15 keyboard // Vista Ultimate 64bit
RIG #2 - AMD64 3500+ // Asus A8N-E // 8800GTS 512 OC // Enermax Liberty SLI 500W Modular PSU // WD Caviar 250g

Old February 19, 2008, 10:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasheKicker View Post
I was lucky to get an S panel at future shop last year. I am in the market for a second one but all the display models I have seen are A panels. Not very reassuring. Scared to buy one and open the box to find an A panel. Even at Best Buy that open here just before X-mas had an A panel on display.

That aside. I love my 226BW
Has either one of you put a A and S side by side? I doubt it. Would you be able to tell the difference; I doubt it.

Samsung isn't stating what panel they are anymore btw ;)
Old February 19, 2008, 10:24 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Has either one of you put a A and S side by side? I doubt it. Would you be able to tell the difference; I doubt it.

Samsung isn't stating what panel they are anymore btw ;)

I've never owned an LCD monitor. So, I can only go by what I've read. By all accounts, the "S" panel is superior.

For the record, Samsung does state what panel they are. Just not as obviously as they once did.
Old February 19, 2008, 10:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
I've never owned an LCD monitor. So, I can only go by what I've read. By all accounts, the "S" panel is superior.

For the record, Samsung does state what panel they are. Just not as obviously as they once did.
Thats my point. Don't listen to what people say and make your own judgement :)
Old February 19, 2008, 10:31 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Thats my point. Don't listen to what people say and make your own judgement :)

You mean like buy three of them and see for myself? Why didn't I think of that?
Old February 19, 2008, 10:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
You mean like buy three of them and see for myself? Why didn't I think of that?
Because at the time when the 3 were out on the market you didn't know which one you'd get!

Which is why I'm saying just buy whatever and be happy.

Anyways this is getting off topic.
Old February 19, 2008, 10:34 PM
Allstar

Quote:

The glossy screens look really bad under flourescent lighting, but it's honestly not a big deal when you get it home. I have a Sony MFM-HT205 w/ a glossy screen and it doesn't bother me at all. Actually, unless you shine a light directly on the thing, you can't even tell it's glossy unless you turn it off. The increased black depth and colour saturation from the glossy finish is a good thing, IMO.