Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Display Units (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/)
-   -   Glossy Framed Screens (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/4675-glossy-framed-screens.html)

enaberif February 19, 2008 09:46 PM

Glossy Framed Screens

Whose bright freakin idea was it to come up with this brilliant one?

Its like 99% of LCD monitors out there have a crappy glossy frame and guess what .. I DO NOT LIKE IT.

I'm probably gonna end up grabbing a 226bw and guess what.. 800 grit sandpaper to the frame.

oldbetang February 19, 2008 09:59 PM

A glossy frame wouldn't bother me. The panel, however, is another story. I looked at one the other day in Staples that was horrible in that regard. I think it was an HP. At least it appeared to be glossy anyway.

Speaking of the Samsung 226bw, do they still distribute the "A" panel or should I feel confident that I'd get one with the "S" panel if I ordered one today?

enaberif February 19, 2008 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldbetang (Post 41842)
A glossy frame wouldn't bother me. The panel, however, is another story. I looked at one the other day in Staples that was horrible in that regard. I think it was an HP. At least it appeared to be glossy anyway.

Speaking of the Samsung 226bw, do they still distribute the "A" panel or should I feel confident that I'd get one with the "S" panel if I ordered one today?

Screen ... frame .. both bother me.

A, S, V, W, G, H, I .. who cares. Just calibrate it :)

CasheKicker February 19, 2008 10:08 PM

I was lucky to get an S panel at future shop last year. I am in the market for a second one but all the display models I have seen are A panels. Not very reassuring. Scared to buy one and open the box to find an A panel. Even at Best Buy that open here just before X-mas had an A panel on display.

That aside. I love my 226BW

enaberif February 19, 2008 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasheKicker (Post 41844)
I was lucky to get an S panel at future shop last year. I am in the market for a second one but all the display models I have seen are A panels. Not very reassuring. Scared to buy one and open the box to find an A panel. Even at Best Buy that open here just before X-mas had an A panel on display.

That aside. I love my 226BW

Has either one of you put a A and S side by side? I doubt it. Would you be able to tell the difference; I doubt it.

Samsung isn't stating what panel they are anymore btw ;)

oldbetang February 19, 2008 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 41845)
Has either one of you put a A and S side by side? I doubt it. Would you be able to tell the difference; I doubt it.

Samsung isn't stating what panel they are anymore btw ;)

I've never owned an LCD monitor. So, I can only go by what I've read. By all accounts, the "S" panel is superior.

For the record, Samsung does state what panel they are. Just not as obviously as they once did.

enaberif February 19, 2008 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldbetang (Post 41846)
I've never owned an LCD monitor. So, I can only go by what I've read. By all accounts, the "S" panel is superior.

For the record, Samsung does state what panel they are. Just not as obviously as they once did.

Thats my point. Don't listen to what people say and make your own judgement :)

oldbetang February 19, 2008 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 41847)
Thats my point. Don't listen to what people say and make your own judgement :)

You mean like buy three of them and see for myself? Why didn't I think of that?

enaberif February 19, 2008 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldbetang (Post 41848)
You mean like buy three of them and see for myself? Why didn't I think of that?

Because at the time when the 3 were out on the market you didn't know which one you'd get!

Which is why I'm saying just buy whatever and be happy.

Anyways this is getting off topic.

Jmac February 19, 2008 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldbetang (Post 41842)

The glossy screens look really bad under flourescent lighting, but it's honestly not a big deal when you get it home. I have a Sony MFM-HT205 w/ a glossy screen and it doesn't bother me at all. Actually, unless you shine a light directly on the thing, you can't even tell it's glossy unless you turn it off. The increased black depth and colour saturation from the glossy finish is a good thing, IMO.