Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 19, 2008, 10:38 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Because at the time when the 3 were out on the market you didn't know which one you'd get!

Which is why I'm saying just buy whatever and be happy.

Anyways this is getting off topic.
I've pretty much made up my mind to buy one. I just haven't decided where from yet. Direct Canada or future shop. Thanks for pointing out the calibration solution.
Old February 19, 2008, 10:44 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
The glossy screens look really bad under flourescent lighting, but it's honestly not a big deal when you get it home. I have a Sony MFM-HT205 w/ a glossy screen and it doesn't bother me at all. Actually, unless you shine a light directly on the thing, you can't even tell it's glossy unless you turn it off. The increased black depth and colour saturation from the glossy finish is a good thing, IMO.

The HP unit that I looked at was , I believe, a 2207. I don't know, maybe the glossiness was exacerbated by the glare of the frame. I just didn't like the look of it at the time. Probably not a good way to decide on a purchase though. Thanks for your input.
Old February 19, 2008, 10:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

Thinking a glossy frame is gonna make a difference of the screen is all in the mind.
Old February 20, 2008, 03:20 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Panel no. 5

Since I had iMac envy but was too Scottish to plunk down $2k for something I couldn't mod I did the next best thing and bought a glossy monitor.

The HP w2207. It looks great at home, but I wouldn't use it at the office. In fact it looks so good my wife was experiencing her own envy and wasn't happy with her non-glossy Samsung 216BW so I gave her mine and upgrade to the w2408h, it's a 24" glossy HDMI screen.

I love it.

Old February 20, 2008, 12:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Thinking a glossy frame is gonna make a difference of the screen is all in the mind.
Agreed. My 2007WFP is matte and its colour reproduction and contrast stomp all over any w2207, 226bw or other TN panel with "superbrite, ultrbrite, crystal etc..." gimmicky gloss finish. Mmmm I love S-IPS. Too bad they are all going bye bye to make way for more TN panels

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old February 20, 2008, 10:22 PM
MVP

Glossy frame i don't care about.

Glossy finish on the screen i do like though.

Yes, if you work in fluorescent lighting or outside, then no, glossy screens aren't ideal.

But with controlled lighting, you get a richer contrast with more vibrant colors.

Unfortunately, there are few good panels using glossy finishes...
Old February 27, 2008, 09:47 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I dont mind glossy frames, though I do find it extremely unnessecary. Glossy screens I have a problem with, ESPECIALLY on laptops! They irritate me soo much! I find it absolutely terrible when playing in dark games or watching dark scenes in movies! HUGE reflection! Might as well put a mirror in front of you. I am looking for a 24" to get next month. After looking at my options, it came down to the HP2408, or Dell 2408, Dell won, simply because its not glossy!

I ... just ... cant stand glossy screens!

Rig // PC-A7010 :: 1050W :: Rampage :: Q6600 :: 8GB :: GTX 260
X25-V :: 4x 1TB RAID-5 :: 2x 1TB RAID-1 :: 4x 1.5TB :: 1x 2TB
G15v2 :: MX-518 :: Xonar DX :: 7 Pro x64

2408WFP :: DT770/80 :: Onkyo TX-SR605 :: Klipsch RB-61 :: SVS PB10-NSD