Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 22, 2011, 05:55 PM
Rookie

Default Asus PA246Q monitor problem

I wanted a IPS monitor for photo editing, I ended up buying the Asus PA246Q $575 Aussie Dollars which was about $120 cheaper than the Dell U2410. I like the monitor but I have one bright green pixel and the screen flickers and jumps and then goes black, this happens within a few seconds but then I might not get this for a hour then out of the blue it happens again.
The monitor has gone back and Asus were really good about it they classed it as DOA and I can get a new monitor or a full refund.
My main query is, do I need a expensive wide gamut monitor like the Asus or Dell U2410 as I will only be working in sRGB colour space editing photos and surfing the Web ect. Or would the Dell U2412 be sufficient I don't mind spending a few hundred dollars more if the dearer monitor is better quality wise and better colour accuracy. I don't need all the extra connection possibilities or the Wide Gamut colour the later I find a nuisance it makes everything look red.
So should I just get a replacement AsuS PA24Q ips or just a Dell U2412?
Old October 3, 2011, 07:51 AM
Rookie

They're both great monitors, you can't go wrong with them. If you plan on doing photo editing then I highly suggest you purchase a colorimeter.

I recommend the X-Rite i1Display. It's only around $100 bucks and uses the same hardware as the Lacie Blue Eye Pro. I highly recommend you use Lacie's software (you can search for it online) as it's much better overall.

X-Rite i1Display 2 (link is non-affiliated)

If you don't really need an IPS, then any monitor would do really. There's lots of great monitors from ASUS or ViewSonic these days, for under $200. They can be very accurate color-wise if properly calibrated.

Andy H.
Old October 3, 2011, 07:59 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, but TN panels show a lot of variation between top and bottom colors so if color accuracy is important I stay away from recommending them.

I believe he received his U2412M (judging from his [H]ardforum posts) and he's happy with it.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old October 6, 2011, 07:26 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the replies I ended up getting the Dell U2412 and so far I'm liking it and I got it for $239 which is pretty cheap compared to the classier Asus but I find the picture quality on par. I have no dead pixels, backlight bleed ect, I calibrated it with my Huey Pro and the colours look very accurate to my eyes.
The only thing that is taking me a while to get use to is having a matte screen as my previous Dell was a glossy screen, I hooked up my old Dell TN monitor and sure the glossy screen looks great but then I kept wondering about how accurate the colours were, so I have re-connected the U2412 and I will have to get use to the screen.