Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 21, 2011, 11:54 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default TV for PC gaming.

Hello all.

I am looking to purchase a television I can hook up to my PC for some gaming, movie watching, etc... (I spend all day at a desk, so the idea of coming home to use my PC from my desk is becoming less and less appealing to me)

I think I want something between 32"-42", and would prefer not to spend any more than $1,000.

What are some of the features I should be looking for when trying to find a good tv for gaming? Refresh rate, ghosting problems, delay, etc... & can anyone suggest some TVs which might fit the bill?
Old September 21, 2011, 04:38 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Plasma TV

Panasonic or LG
Old September 21, 2011, 06:18 PM
MVP

When I was originally in the market for a TV in 2007 the sales lady said LCD was better for gaming because static images can burn into a plasma TV, like the start button on your desktop. Had this situations changed? She mentioned modern plasmas having anti burn in technology, but that it only mitigates the issue, doesn't eliminate it.
Old September 21, 2011, 07:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
When I was originally in the market for a TV in 2007 the sales lady said LCD was better for gaming because static images can burn into a plasma TV, like the start button on your desktop. Had this situations changed? She mentioned modern plasmas having anti burn in technology, but that it only mitigates the issue, doesn't eliminate it.
Unless you intentionally "abuse" your plasma by leaving it on fully still images for hours at a time, it's honestly a non issue. Even then, the effect has always been reversible if burn in time wasn't too long.

Most plasmas these days will shift the pixels around in circles so your image doesn't appear to move so that the image isn't "still." They also feature burn in "washing" features.
Old September 21, 2011, 07:44 PM
MVP

My System Specs

^^^
What he said.

I was high on T3s after a surgery playing Fallout New Vegas for 12 hours at a time....12 hours with strong static images on the screen, no burn in.

Some image retention, went away.

A brand new Plasmas should still be subjected to a 100 hour break-in period until the phosphors harden just to be safe. (IMO)

Last edited by The Quicken; September 21, 2011 at 11:22 PM. Reason: b/c I don't believe in proof reading
Old September 22, 2011, 09:18 AM
MVP

My System Specs

in my opinion get the biggest screen you can get over anything, even if your watching in a shed. It is my belief that your gaming tv should have the ability to make you dizzy

also, heard good things about these bargain 3d sammy's Samsung 51" 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV (PN51D550) : 3D TVs - Best Buy Canada
Old September 22, 2011, 12:45 PM
Top Prospect

I have a 40" Sharp LED [LC-40LE700UN], love it. At the time I bought it the 60hz ones were disappearing and there seemed to be a consensus that the 120-240hz sets actually had much higher levels of input lag. Lads at AVS Forum share a load of test data.

My beef with plasmas are that they are damn close to sitting next to a running toaster and drain power in a similar fashion.

Last edited by Herne; September 22, 2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old September 22, 2011, 01:20 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herne View Post
I have a 40" Sharp LED [LC-40LE700UN], love it. At the time I bought it the 60hz ones were disappearing and there seemed to be a consensus that the 120-240hz sets actually had much higher levels of input lag. Lads at AVS Forum share a load of test data.

My beef with plasmas are that they are damn close to sitting next to a running toaster and drain power in a similar fashion.
Does not matter what display you choose so long as you are happy with it.
Old September 26, 2011, 07:15 AM
MVP

My System Specs

why LED or Plasma instead of LCD?

LCDs are dirt cheap nowadays, and I thought Plasma's were being phased out?
Old September 26, 2011, 07:48 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates_Johnston View Post
why LED or Plasma instead of LCD?

LCDs are dirt cheap nowadays, and I thought Plasma's were being phased out?
For its because the LED LCD TVs just didn't seem to add much cost compared to a similar LCD. I think I got the Sharp for $800 and I wasn't seeing equal pictures/ input lag on cheaper straight LCDs. Slightly cheaper power-wsie if you care about that. The more super thin LEDs are cool, but slower and the true premium cost.

Personally, I don't like burning through the power plasmas do, even though they often have great and fast screens. Add to that my office can get quite warm anyway, add the heat production of a plasma was not for me.