Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 10, 2011, 11:17 AM
Rookie

Default Tv + Ethernet + Desktop PC. HELP

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to connect my desktop to my TV via ethernet cable (both the tv and desktop have the ports for it of course.) The goal is to have my TV functioning as monitor and speakers for my desktop. I'm assuming its not just going to be plug and play, I haven't had the time to try it yet.

I do know how to set it up using vga/dvi/hdmi cables and a 3.5mm stereo patch cord. I am NOT interested in going this route.

Assuming it needs special software or at least some drivers on the computer (hopefully not a firmware flash on the tv, I'm not going to bother with that if its even possible.) Can anyone suggest how to make this work?

Running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, tv is a 32 inch 720p Toshiba LCD about two years old. If there are possibilities that don't involve taking things apart I would love to hear them.

Thanks very much
Old September 10, 2011, 11:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

AFAIK

you can not transfer video signals via cat5/cat6.

Some tv's use the Ethernet connection for hooking into the home network, aka transferring files to the tv from networked storage.

But you would need the hdmi/dvi/ect to use your tv as a monitor for your computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old September 10, 2011, 11:45 AM
Allstar

Re-check your computer specs. If your video card support audio over DVI or HDMI, you don't even need the patch cable. My 9400GS has a little port that lets me plug in the internal SPID/F so all the audio will stream over my DVI to HDMI cable.
Old September 10, 2011, 01:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Isn't possible, you'll need to use HDMI for video + audio, and frankly i don't see why you wouldn't want to.
Old September 10, 2011, 08:17 PM
Rookie

I have s-video and dvi on my video card (9800gt) but I'm pretty sure there is no audio pass-through. I will double check though, a single dvi cable wouldn't be horrible for a hook up.

As to why I wouldn't want to use the typical cables for this situation? I have tons of Ethernet cable lying around and a decent length of HDMI isn't cheap enough for a short term convenience project even if i did have the port. But maybe the DVI pass through will work.

I appreciate the responses everyone, thanks.
Old September 10, 2011, 09:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
AFAIK

you can not transfer video signals via cat5/cat6.

Some tv's use the Ethernet connection for hooking into the home network, aka transferring files to the tv from networked storage.

But you would need the hdmi/dvi/ect to use your tv as a monitor for your computer.
that's not entirely true. you could use something like a hdmi to cat5e/6 baylan. Something like this might work.

For only $15.37 each when QTY 50+ purchased - HDMI Extender Using Cat5e or CAT6 Cable - Extend Upto 98ft | Video Extenders

For only $171.45 each when QTY 50+ purchased - HDMI Extender Using Cat5e or CAT6 Cable - Extend Upto 328ft | Video Extenders

For only $16.24 each when QTY 50+ purchased - HDMI Over CAT5E / CAT6 Extender Wall Plate w/ LED Indicator (Pair) - Single Port (1P) - White | HDMI Wall Plates

not sure how well they work as i just use a big long hdmi cable.

Old September 10, 2011, 10:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenNorth View Post
I have s-video and dvi on my video card (9800gt) but I'm pretty sure there is no audio pass-through. I will double check though, a single dvi cable wouldn't be horrible for a hook up.

As to why I wouldn't want to use the typical cables for this situation? I have tons of Ethernet cable lying around and a decent length of HDMI isn't cheap enough for a short term convenience project even if i did have the port. But maybe the DVI pass through will work.

I appreciate the responses everyone, thanks.
a 6' HDMI cable can be had for pennies, well more like $4-5.
Old September 11, 2011, 07:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
a 6' HDMI cable can be had for pennies, well more like $4-5.
Yep, HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more! is a great place to get cables on the cheap.
Old September 11, 2011, 10:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ha ha that was why I said AFAIK, I remembered a conversation in the irc about them but had google-fu fail.

Got to love Monoprice they have everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old September 11, 2011, 10:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Still the issue remains, his computer doesn't have HDMI output.

I think it's time to buy a new video card FrozenNorth. It'll make things much easier if you have native HDMI output. Anything of the ATI/AMD Radeon HD series would suffice.