Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 5, 2011, 07:49 AM
Rookie

Question HELP: Monitor Resolution Issues!!!

Hi group,

I purchased at bestbuy.ca this monitor. The recommended resolution setting is 1920 x 1080 at 60hz; however, this resolution makes the screen picture overflow over the screen!! I have to use 1600 x 1200 @ 60hz. The picture is much nicer at the recommended setting, so how do I get it to work at the recommended resolution ??

Thank you in advance,

CG :D
Old September 5, 2011, 07:55 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

can we get the make and model of the monitor
thanks
Old September 5, 2011, 08:02 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

nm

didn't see you had the monitor as a link

screen picture overflow ?
can you describe this ?

you may have to just go into your controls of your monitor and shrink the horizontal or vertical. if its screen wrapping
Old September 5, 2011, 08:15 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

did you put the CD in and run the installation ?

also when you open the mouse controls, the first item is auto adjust

so have the monitor auto adjust once you set the resolution to 1920 x 1280
Old September 5, 2011, 09:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh_ultima View Post
did you put the CD in and run the installation ?

also when you open the mouse controls, the first item is auto adjust

so have the monitor auto adjust once you set the resolution to 1920 x 1280
You don't need the cd

Make sure your using a good cable and yes there is a difference with DVI cables if your using that. You'll want a DVI-D (Dual link) Cable over a DVI-I (Single Link) cable.

Then when you plug it in just hit the "auto" button and you should be good.
Old September 5, 2011, 09:58 AM
Rookie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
You don't need the cd

Make sure your using a good cable and yes there is a difference with DVI cables if your using that. You'll want a DVI-D (Dual link) Cable over a DVI-I (Single Link) cable.

Then when you plug it in just hit the "auto" button and you should be good.
Hi, your suggestion sounds like the solution I require:

Quote:
DVI-D states:

DVI D Dual Link and Single Link Cables

DVI D cables come in two forms DVI D dual link and single link cables. Dual link is a more pricey version of DVI D because the technology is more advanced. It offers greater resolution, as much as WQXGA (2560 1600 @ 60 Hz), which is one of the best resolutions you will get on a monitor right now. However, the Dual link is not yet compatible with most computers in fact they are mainly used with the more high-end Dell monitors and Apple computers. Hence roughly around 10% of all computers support this type of cable.
Single link on the other hand offers comparatively lower resolution, the maximum amount being WUXGA(1920 x 1200@60 HZ) and is compatible with about 90% of most computer monitors including the first generation of HDTV monitors.
Either cable can be used however, because of the limitations, in terms of compatibility with the dual link cable, it is best to get a well made single link cable. Single link cables are sold at different prices based on quality. It is better to get a high quality dual link or single link cable especially if your devices are more than 10 feet apart.
If I am using a EVGA GEForce nvidia GTX 570 what specific connector at newegg.ca would I have to buy to connect with my monitor ? It seems the video card has a different connector port than the monitor connector port. I don't want to make a mistake and buy the wrong one

On a side note, why didn't the monitor come with the type of cable you are recommending? It is very bizarre

Many thanks,

CG
Old September 5, 2011, 10:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Gator View Post
Hi, your suggestion sounds like the solution I require:

If I am using a EVGA GEForce nvidia GTX 570 what specific connector at newegg.ca would I have to buy to connect with my monitor ? It seems the video card has a different connector port than the monitor connector port. I don't want to make a mistake and buy the wrong one

On a side note, why didn't the monitor come with the type of cable you are recommending? It is very bizarre

Many thanks,

CG
Single link cables are a bit cheaper :P You could also look into HDMI if your monitor supports that too.
Old September 5, 2011, 10:02 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Single link cables are a bit cheaper :P You could also look into HDMI if your monitor supports that too.
Yes, my monitor has an HDMI cable, but the problem persists. The D-Sub cable it comes with does not fit into the video card! I am not worried about the cost of the cable, would you please provide a link to newegg.ca for the correct cable, so I do not make a mistake and buy the wrong cable, IF THAT IS THE FIX.

Cordially,

CG
Old September 5, 2011, 10:06 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Your GPU is compatible with DVI-D, but your monitor does not have said connection.
Your GPU and monitor both support HDMI connection. Use that. Then make sure both your Windows and monitor resolutions are set to 1920x1080.
Old September 5, 2011, 10:10 AM
Rookie

Talking

Problem solved. I had to go into the monitors on-screen control panel and set the HDMI connector to PC. Now it works fine for me :)

CG