Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Display Units (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/)
-   -   Question on Monitors (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/46045-question-monitors.html)

BVickery August 30, 2011 07:15 PM

Question on Monitors

Ok, I have a Viewsonic vx2035wm 1680x1050 LCD monitor right now. From the reading it seems this may not be up to snuff for gaming. Hell, do I really need to upgrade the monitor?

In gaming, is IPS THAT crucial? I am not to go pro or tournaments/ladders etc, but do want to have fun and the game look crisp.

The Quicken August 30, 2011 08:03 PM

Maybe this will help you--

LCD Panel Technology Explained - S-IPS, H-IPS, S-PVA, MVA and TN

I personally do not game on a LCD at all-- if your playing anything fast paced (FPS) choose your screen carefully. RTS or RPG's are going to be more forgiving on a lower refresh rate screen.

BVickery August 30, 2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Quicken (Post 545458)
Maybe this will help you--

LCD Panel Technology Explained - S-IPS, H-IPS, S-PVA, MVA and TN

I personally do not game on a LCD at all-- if your playing anything fast paced (FPS) choose your screen carefully. RTS or RPG's are going to be more forgiving on a lower refresh rate screen.

What do you game on? I normally play MMO's and some FPS.

roh_ultima August 30, 2011 10:25 PM

do you notice ghosting on the screen ?

if not
don't worry about it

even if you see slight ghosting...like you said casual gaming

The Quicken August 30, 2011 11:10 PM

I've tried various brands of LCD and found I can always notice the pixels refreshing, so I went Plasma and never looked back--playing FPS is so smooth and seamless, not to mention the contrast of colours.

But Plasma starts at 42", so if you want to game at your desk on a smaller screen, choose your LCD/LED monitor carefully.

What might be good for an RPG might drive you nuts on a FPS.

I'm not saying there are not good monitors for LCD, just that it's a very large, diverse market for you to shop from.

roh_ultima August 31, 2011 07:31 AM

i have a viewsonic 20" and only notice some ghosting on it
and it wasn't even what i consider a gaming grade monitor...

Best-Gaming-Monitor October 3, 2011 08:35 AM

Hey man, it seems like your monitor is fine. It seems a bit dated at this point but if it still works great for you, then keep using it.

Andy H.

Kilauea October 12, 2011 07:40 PM

You get an ok image with a TN panel, but the image is very likely to be uneven on all the screen. Its something I notice on other LCD monitors; whereas, on my IPS panel LCD, I get a nice even image no matter what position I am in.

By even, I mean that the colors, the luminosity is close enough to be the same from top to bottom, from a corner to the other.

At first, when I bought my monitor (IPS), I wasn't so sure about the IPS vs TN, but I decided to listen to the opinion of people who knew better than me what it was about and since then, I am also promoting IPS panels.