Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 1, 2011, 08:03 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Question Bounty for Multi Monitor Setup Advice

Background
I've been doing research now for close to three months on what new monitors to buy.
I currently have a BENQ FP241W which has been great for 4 years. Over the past 2 years however the the top middle area of the display has becoming increasingly burnt-in. There is a pattern that is ALWAYS there, it looks like a cloud almost, and any image in that area left up for more then 5-10 minutes will persist for hours.

What I am looking for
I'm looking to buy two monitors in the 23.5-24 inch range with comparable latency to my FP241W. I've considered both getting two separate monitors for separate uses, but I would prefer getting two monitors that are the same, or have very similar colors.
  • Same or lower latency and input lag as my 241W
  • Preferebly one without a record of image persistence
  • Decent Color accuracy. I do a lot of design work, but I am not extremely picky when it comes to colors.
  • No preference towards Matte or Glossy screens
  • No preference towards back light type.
  • I hate over saturated colors.
  • At least one monitors must be 16:10, prefer both to be.
  • No lower resolution then 1920x1200 or 1920x1080
  • Great real world contrast ratio.
  • Decent viewing angle. I sometimes watch t.v. or play games from my couch which is about 1-15 feet away.
  • Preferably no more expensive then $600 each.
PIP, multiple inputs, speakers optional but nice.

The closest I have come to a decision is the dell U2410, but almost all the programs I use are not color space aware, and I really dislike over saturated colors. The Eizo Foris FX2431 seems perfect, but waaay to expensive. The only way I could consider buying that is if I was sure both would last 10 years.

I'd like to see both VAs and IPS panel types, as I haven't been able to decide which to get.

What I do/What I will use them for
I am a programmer, and web designer. I spend most of my time looking at, or writing text/code. I watch all of my television/movies on my computer, and spend about a minimum of 15 hours a week gaming. Overall I am using the computer 10-15 hours a day. The reason I am opting for a multi monitor setup and not one large monitor is so I can run full screen movies/apps (virtualmachines) in one of the monitors as I work.

I'm so desperate to actually make a choice, I'm offering a $15 (via paypall) bounty to the author of the post that convinces me which display(s) to buy, after I have gotten it, and if I am satisfied.
Old July 1, 2011, 08:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well if you want to run three monitors you're going to need to have a higher end AMD/ATI Graphics card or two mid to higher range Nvidia cards to pull this off. What do you have under the hood of your computer right now?
Old July 1, 2011, 08:42 PM
Banned
F@H

take a look at the dell u27 when in super special? 600 would close in a bit.

fold for a while for us,no need to pay us lol.

Old July 2, 2011, 08:02 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Well if you want to run three monitors you're going to need to have a higher end AMD/ATI Graphics card or two mid to higher range Nvidia cards to pull this off. What do you have under the hood of your computer right now?
I updated my system specs.
Old July 2, 2011, 09:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Only monitor off the top of my head that pretty much meets all your requirements is the Asus ProArt reviewed here at HWC:ASUS PA246Q ProArt 24 IPS Monitor Review

Only potential issue would be colour saturation, but that can be re-calibrated.

You can get it at NCIX and pricematch from DirectCanada. Or if you can't get discount shipping at NCIX just buy from DC.
Old July 2, 2011, 03:04 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I'll take a look at that one ilya, thanks. My current idea is to get two HP ZR24W, and with the extra money saved buy a Benq XL2410. I'm not sure how well my 2+1 card setup will support this though. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I plan on borrowing/buying a Spyder3 Pro to calibrate them all with.
Old July 2, 2011, 03:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Just to let you know the 2 + 1 card won't have any issues running this. I was running 2 560 Ti SLi'ed with a 550 Ti as the physx card for a good little while with no problems other then the increased heat due to all the cards having less air flow between them.
Old July 2, 2011, 03:46 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Anyone know any good technical reviews for the PA246Q? I usually use tftcentral to compare, but they haven't reviewed it. I'd like to know how it stacks up against the ZR24W, especially on the gamut issues.