Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 12, 2011, 01:57 PM
Rookie

Default Futureshop has good monitors?????

so I visit futureshop often to just check out the monitors. I noticed this one

HP 25" Widescreen LCD Monitor with 3ms Response Time (2509B) : 24" & Up Monitors - Future Shop

It looks really nice. Actually, a few of them look really nice. I don't see what everyone is complaining about TN panels when, in person, these things seem great. The only thing I can't stand is some of the wider ones (is this what they mean by 16:9???), which look too stretched.

Now i'm in the market for one but I won't buy it from where I got my computer(NCIX) because they sell crappy monitors from my knowledge. Everyone seems to say the u2311h is great so I'm holding out for a sale. However, I'm afraid is gonna be stretched wide like the ones I saw at futureshop. Also, there seem to be some issues with the u2311h with blacklight bleeding, etc. So this makes me want to find an alternative.

I really have no experience with the newer monitors because I'm currently still using a very old and crappy LCD. It in no way looks like the nice ones i saw at futureshop. Namely the HP monitors.

My budget is less than 300 dollars, 23 inches or larger, and in Canada. I will mainly use it for gaming. The biggest concern would probably be bringing a monitor home from wherever I might choose to buy and finding out that it is "that crappy TN panel everyone told you to stay away from".
Old June 12, 2011, 02:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The reason why HP ones look "good" is because they have a glossy finish on them. This makes colours "pop" more so, but the downside is you get a ton of glare. I (and many others) absolutely despise of glossy screens, but at the end of the day it's your personal choice.

As for TN vs IPS/PVA, again, totally up to you. If you aren't doing graphic work, I wouldn't really worry too much. So long as the monitor looks good to you in person, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

And for it being "stretched", could just be that Future Shop isn't running the native resolution on them. They definitely shouldn't looked stretched, but they are wider so you see more. It should be the same clarity/sharpness as a square (4:3/5:4) LCD/CRT though.
Old June 12, 2011, 02:39 PM
Rookie

thanks for telling me about the glossy finish.

I'm also wondering about the value of buying monitors from futureshop. I know their markups are terrible for graphics cards and other computer hardware, so that's the biggest factor keeping me from making my purchase there. This is why I'm slightly leaning towards the u2311h. Even with the current price of 320 dollars for the u2311h, once they have the sale for 100 dollars off, it should be a fairly good deal.
Old June 12, 2011, 03:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

There's very slim margins on TVs, monitors, computers, etc. That is why they try to up-sell you warranties, cables, installation services as that is how they make their money.

If you can afford it, and you like the look of it, I say buy it. At least with Future Shop you can always return it with little penalty.
Old June 12, 2011, 03:27 PM
Rookie

well after reading a bunch of reviews on a variant of the monitor, the 2509m, it seems the glossy screen will reflect a lot.
Old June 12, 2011, 03:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

Glossy screens suck serious balls.

16:9 sucks for a computer you want to game on.. 16:10 is where its at.
Old June 12, 2011, 03:32 PM
Rookie

there don't seem to be many 16:10 monitors that are less than 300.
Old June 13, 2011, 06:59 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

IMO, people only think TN panels are fine if they have never seen IPS or PVA.

But I agree, 16:10 for gaming. If you can't afford a 16:10, save up a bit longer. ;)
Old June 13, 2011, 08:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungh View Post
Now i'm in the market for one but I won't buy it from where I got my computer(NCIX) because they sell crappy monitors from my knowledge. Everyone seems to say the u2311h is great so I'm holding out for a sale. However, I'm afraid is gonna be stretched wide like the ones I saw at futureshop. Also, there seem to be some issues with the u2311h with blacklight bleeding, etc. So this makes me want to find an alternative.
NCIX sells all sorts of monitors, it's up to you to pick the one with the features you want to buy.
Old June 13, 2011, 08:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Dell's 12 days of deals is on, so it might be a good time to look for a special you like.

I personally got myself a U2410 (IPS and 16:10) and I love it, price was a bigger concern than IPS for my gf, so she got a VW266h(TN and 16:10) and she finds the 1.5" difference is big, but she does not care much about the difference between TN and IPS, my cousin got the VE278Q(TN and 16:9) and he is pretty much on the same terms as my gf. I personally prefer my IPS monitor, but I am not sure if I would value more IPS or 16:10 in your case, even the 2311 is 16:9.

One thing that someone somewhere (most likely here) said when I was shopping for my monitor was that you spend thousands of dollars for a computer for cosmetics and all, but if you cheap out on the monitor, well that is basicly what u see of your computer 99% of the time. At the time, I was debating if I should go for TN or pay more for IPS. This got me thinking and pretty much sealed the deal.