Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 22, 2011, 08:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default 2 monitors, what to do

I found a 17inch monitor that was just gathering dust off to the side of one of our computers so I hooked it up to my system and now i have 1 22inch and 1 17inch and so far I"m finding windows has very little, we'll call it support, for a secondary monitor. So I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for uses of a second monitor. Currently I'm mainly using it to look at 2 things maximized at the same time, and I have to say even the ability to look at 2 webpages, or webpage and email, etc, is extremely nice. Nothing squished to half of my screen. Do wish full screen programs wouldnt minimize every time I clicked on the other screen though.
Old May 22, 2011, 08:40 AM
Top Prospect

I agree that Windows doesn't really properly manage multiple displays. You should have a look at something like Ultramon. This should add some useful functionality to make dual displays a little easier.
Old May 22, 2011, 08:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

didn't say who's video adapter/card using Nvidia here works well using dual moniters
Old May 26, 2011, 08:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Having multiple monitors is nice, well a necessity for me now but I guess it depends on what you use them for. I've been using multiple monitors for a lot of years. I use three on my main rig, a 24" flanked by two 20"ers.

A little tip - and a little story. When I first plugged in a second monitor it didn't get much use at all, used it to look at two web sites at a time and a few other things and I almost just got rid of it. I decided to make a concentrated effort to make myself use it more. Before long it was natural to use it and found using a computer with a single display a PITA. The same thing happened when I had a spare monitor kicking around. I put in a cheap vanilla vid card to give me the extra port and again the third monitor sat there unused until I forced myself to use it and now I use all three all the time. Moral of the story is USE THAT MONITOR! You won't go back once you're used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
Do wish full screen programs wouldnt minimize every time I clicked on the other screen though.
I've never seen that before, ever. Windows handles multiple monitors just fine though win7 has some nice new features for this. Unfortunately I don't know where to tell you to look for a solution to that, gotta be some stupid setting. What version of windows are you using and how did you configure the second monitor?
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water