Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 11, 2011, 08:00 PM
Top Prospect

Default HD Plasma TV, Burn in or something else?

Ok guys this is a little bit hard to see, but all of a sudden my tv seems to have an image problem, I went to the screen saver page on my tv setup to show you a fully white screen, normal picture viewing is fine only tv shows with a lot of white will definately show the problem... hockey games and such, I see a lot of talk about screen burn in, and image retention, etc especially with plasma tv's and I'm not sure really what this is... does anyone know? or have any suggestions... thanks.

Intel Core i5-750 2.66Ghz @ 4Ghz, ASUS P7P55D-E Pro, 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws cas7, WDC 1Tb WD1001FALS, WDC 640Gb WD6400AAKS, OCZ Vertex 2 Extended Sandforce 60GB, GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5, Corsair Hydro H70, LG GH24NS50 DVD 24x Burner, Antec Eleven Hundred, Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W, Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/s...osmond/1-1.jpg
http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/s...benchmarks.jpg
Old May 11, 2011, 08:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Doesn't look like screen burn in to me.
Old May 11, 2011, 08:30 PM
Banned
F@H

thats pretty messed up,first of all any warranty left?
secondly,hmm,unless you had a picture of a ghost up there 24/7?
put my lunch money in the same boat as mr. p.
Old May 11, 2011, 09:04 PM
Top Prospect

Default Burn in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
thats pretty messed up,first of all any warranty left?
secondly,hmm,unless you had a picture of a ghost up there 24/7?
put my lunch money in the same boat as mr. p.
Well I took a much closer look, its not only on a white background that I can see the pattern, of course with white, its easier to see.. I can see it with light blue, and yellow as well, and probably others as well, not sure. I'm thinking now, maybe, just maybe its not a picture issue but something was wiped on the screen or something, because thats a very strange area to show that type of problem, here's another hint, after dark, with the tv even turned off, and a lamp on in the same room, I think I can see a problem, its very, very, suttle but by looking at the tv screen at an angle, and my using the lamps light from a distance, the whole tv looks like it has an anti glare coating, kind of purple, but that color changes to a sightly different color, and it is in the same area I notice the picture issue. I don't think this is a coincidence, and every one swears to me they didn't use something stupid on my tv like windex or glass cleaner
Intel Core i5-750 2.66Ghz @ 4Ghz, ASUS P7P55D-E Pro, 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws cas7, WDC 1Tb WD1001FALS, WDC 640Gb WD6400AAKS, OCZ Vertex 2 Extended Sandforce 60GB, GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5, Corsair Hydro H70, LG GH24NS50 DVD 24x Burner, Antec Eleven Hundred, Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W, Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Old May 11, 2011, 11:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would touch it in the bottom corner with isopropyl and see if it will move at all. Plasmas use glass with an Anti-Reflective coating. The coating shouldn't have any problem with isopropyl or even windex. Good AR is actually really tough stuff.
Old May 12, 2011, 01:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

That's definitely not burn-in.

As far as the purple glare goes when looking at the glass from a certain angle with certain lighting, that's the AG coating.

Per your issue, either the AG coating is doing something on its own, some type of liquid that didn't agree with the AG got on there, or it's an internal panel defect not related to the AG coating.

Also, one wipe down with Windex won't kill your AG but eventually chemicals will eat away at the coating if you continue to use household cleaners. Manufacturer's all suggest to use a dry/slightly damp microfibre cloth or the like to clean screens. There's also specific cleaners available, but I've never needed to use any. If I dampen a cloth, I try to use distilled, but I've used tap water a few times.

I suggest sending the picture to the manufacturer's support department.
Old May 14, 2011, 12:10 AM
Top Prospect

Default Plasma issues

Well I contacted Samsung, their help desk wasn't too helpful, in fact they do not have an email address to contact tech support in Canada, only a 1800 number, I'd rather just get some feedback through email. I did manage to find an email contact though the samsung usa site though, and the suggestions I got from them did nothing to help.

"Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics.

We understand that the there is a picture issue with the TV screen and it is most noticeable on white screen. We apologize for the inconvenience. To troubleshoot this issue, we suggest you connect the TV to different devices using different cables and check if the issue persists. If the issue still persists, we recommend you reset the TV by pressing the EXIT button on the TV remote for 10- 15 seconds. The TV turns off automatically after reset is done, turn on the TV manually and reconfigure all the
settings. To prevent the screen burn issue, we recommend you follow the steps mentioned in the link below: SAMSUNG's Digital World - Support

If you require any further information, feel free to contact us.

Thank you,
Samsung Online Support."

It's not a cable issue, I removed the av/hdmi cables... and again on a white screen, I still see the same issue, with NOTHING hooked up to the tv. With the tv even turned off I can see the issue if I look closely, the smudge / streaks on the side of the tv screen are even there with the tv off and they line up perfectly with the white test screen issue. I do think its a coating issue on the screen either by accidental damage or defect in the AG coating, the when looking at a normal area of the screen the coating looks an off purple, when looking at the streaks, it looks a greenish color. I've read horror stories about lcd and plasmas being damaged by using windex or furnature cleaner on tv screens, I've followed some suggestions, I saw on the internet and whats mentioned here... I've used eyeglass cleaner... no change, windex... no change, dish detergent... no change, even vinegar... no change.. never tied alcohol, or lemon wipes yet.... I do know the lemon wipes are great for hand cleaning and the like, so that might be an option, but in case my assumption is right about something wiped on the screen, then I'd rather not use anything that will kill the picture quality totally.... any more suggestions? and by the way, NO THE TV DOES NOT HAVE A WARRANTY LEFT, it ran out 2 months ago... But then again, you'd think that if its something smeared onto the screen that something I tried would make a little difference, it did not.

Old May 14, 2011, 01:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you see the problem with the TV off, it's almost definitely a AG coating issue.

The problem with most cleaners and AG coatings is the long-term build up chemicals and the reaction they have with the coatings over time. Only a handful of cleaners will actually kill the coatings instantly. I'm sure some geniuses have tried using acetone, for example, trying to remove some gunk from their screen, only to find out that that area of the screen looked better with the gunk on it compared to the same area after using the acetone. That's an extreme example, but I'm sure the point is made.

In your particular case, it's possible the coating was not applied properly and you're starting to see the effects now. Get back to Samsung and tell them you've tried the troubleshooting process. Just follow along with whatever they suggest and eventually you'll be referenced to a certified Samsung tech in your area who will then come take a look at your unit. Most of the time the techs will do panel replacements, board replacements, etc. right in the home.