Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 7, 2011, 09:34 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default GAMING: NEC EA231WMI vs DELL2311H vs AW2310 vs Acer GD235HZ vs BenQ XL2410T

Please list in order from favourite to least favourite, or simply name the best one.

I am quite impressed by NEC's version. I just want to be sure it performs top of the line for gaming in every way. What do you guys think?
Old May 7, 2011, 11:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Depends on the kind of gaming. Mainly FPS player? Then one of the 120Hz models. Bit of everything? Then I'd probably give up 120Hz for a higher quality IPS screen.
Old May 8, 2011, 08:29 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Is there a 120HZ IPS out there? :) I know plasma is the key but they don't seem to make them small enough probably due to economic forces.
Old May 8, 2011, 04:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Unfortunately, there are no 120Hz IPS panels available. Having said that, most of the available IPS panels handle motion just as well as many of the fastest TN panels.

Now, I'm also assuming you may be a bit misguided about 120Hz technology. 120Hz tech in TV's differs from 120Hz tech in monitors. In TV's, 120Hz technology is mainly used as a way to display 24 frame material natively without cadence (24 is a multiple of 120). However, most people associate 120Hz technology in TV's with the smoothing feature these screens offer. This is an interpolation technology that "predicts" frames and inserts them into the frame sequence, "smoothing" the motion image.

With computer monitors, however, 120Hz technology isn't misleading. 120Hz in monitors gives a true refresh rate of 120Hz and therefore allows for a useable 120FPS.
Old May 8, 2011, 06:07 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

You know, I've been doing a lot of back and forth and I feel like I want to experience the whole 3D thing. I'm getting ready for my first computer build and I want to upgrade my monitor to a 24" gaming monitor with 3D nvidia vision capability. What would you say are the best options out there? Are there any out there right now that are distinctly superior to the competition?

The nvidia 3D gaming monitors that I've been researching so far are the AW2310 and the Acer GD235HZ, and between those I love them equally but may just go for the former because the design is slightly more compelling from the videos I've seen.

I will also be ultimately employing multiple monitors with my setup, and so will definitely be adding an IPS. At the moment I am favouring the NEC EA231WMI in this category. What do you think?
Old May 8, 2011, 06:25 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Also, is 16:10 better than 16:9 ?
Old May 8, 2011, 09:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The 23-24" 120Hz screens all perform relatively the same, although the BenQ has the worst motion handling, even worse than some 60Hz displays. Still, the motion handling is quite good and it's only a minor flaw. I like the BenQ because it has great ergonomic options and supposedly they've clamped down on backlight bleed in newer units.

16:10 offers greater screen area over 16:9; however, I've went from a 24" 16:10 to a 24" 16:9 and I don't really miss the extra vertical area.

A must recommendation from me though: get a hardware color calibration unit. Using a properly calibrated display, even if you're not doing photo work, I find is a must. I suggest the X-Rite Eye-One Display LT. You can find them on Amazon.com for about $150. Furthermore, you can use it to hardware calibrate your HDTV with free software.

Last edited by YukonTrooper; May 8, 2011 at 09:55 PM.