Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Display Units (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/)
-   -   U2311H or 2209WA for gaming (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/42611-u2311h-2209wa-gaming.html)

E_Cartman April 17, 2011 02:29 PM

U2311H or 2209WA for gaming

After almost an entire month of endless searching (getting google page to 50+) and asking around, while changing my mind a hundred times over which monitor to choose, I have reached the conclusion that getting an IPS panel will be best for me.

Take into consideration a few facts:
1. as far as my budget go and the monitors we have here that's as good as it gets.
2. Prices are almost identical.
3. I am going to use this monitor for at least the next 5 years.

To the best of my understanding (I could be wrong because as far as it comes to monitors i'm only a layman that can read English) comparing the two is something like this:

U2311H
- Higher resolution (don't know how much that is relevant because I don't watch movies and games today don't go up to 1080p)
- Better contrast
- An extra inch (I don't know how much that is important because even though there is a general saying that bigger is usually better, if trying to decide between 2 good monitors, I only sit about 22" from my monitor and don't know how much benefit i'll get out of it)
- Excellent stand (less relevant as there is only one position that I sit in in-front of the monitor).

2209WA
- 16:10 (I understand that many users find it significantly better than 16:9)
- Can get up to 75Hz refresh rate (with the right drivers, which is important to reduce tearing and also very important for games generally)
- Picture and color quality ever higher than the-already-high standard that the U2311H presents
- Wider viewing angles (also less relevant as, again, I only sit in one position in front of the monitor)
- No full-HD support (don't know how much that is relevant as I don't watch movies and games don't get to 1080p)
- Even less input lag than the already-low input lag the U2311H has (don't know if it is noticeable though)
- Credible with high game performance overall

I'm sure that there are mistakes up there, but as I said, when it comes to monitors, I am a layman that reads what people write, and just trying to find which will give me the best gaming experience.

I would also like to know which of the two presents a better overall experience with it's "out of the box" setting, as I don't know if I can calibrate it properly (or at all for that matter).

I would be happy to hear your opinions on the issue, thank you in advance.

canada2005 April 17, 2011 03:03 PM

Subscribed to this thread as I also am a person that reads what people write about their reviews and looking for a new monitor :)

Keywork April 17, 2011 03:45 PM

I personally have 2 2209WA's. One of the best purchases I think i've ever made value wise. It did take some fiddling to get it calibrated to settings I was comfortable with but since then, I haven't touched the settings at all (about ~1.5 years now). I'm also an avid FPS player(MW2, but mainly BC2 because it is the roxxorz) and it performs flawlessly. No lag, beautiful picture quality, etc. What more could you ask for. Oh, and 16:10. WIN!

With that said, I don't think you'll regret purchasing any of the above 2 monitors. Dell does monitors right.

aristhrottle April 17, 2011 03:58 PM

Depends on what you're using it for really. If you have noticed a lot of screen tearing on a 60hz monitor than you might want to consider the 2209WA, or an even faster panel. If you have not noticed any tearing and/or plan on gaming around 60 FPS or lower than the U2311 would be fine as well.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say games don't get up to 1080p; are you referring to console games that are up-sampled? Because PC games do Full HD (and more). I think in general more resolution is always better.

I'm not sure if the 2209WA has better image quality than the U2311, but I can't say for sure. As for out of the box settings, there wasn't much to do on the U2311 other than turn the brightness down and a few minor adjustments to the color settings.

krajee April 17, 2011 04:23 PM

I have three 2209wa and I love them. The biggest factor for me for choosing between a 1680x1050 and a 1920x1080/1200 was my GPU, actually. You'd be drawing ~17% more pixels with the u2311 compared to the 2209wa which may be a point to consider.

E_Cartman April 18, 2011 11:41 AM

Thanks everyone for their comments here and in the previous post. You were very helpful and got me in the right direction. and I wanted to get the 2209WA but they could only supply it to me at the end of the week, and I didn't know if my old monitor will last until then so I ended up buying the U2311H.

Overall it's a very good monitor for it's price.
There are minor issues such as the the 16:9 aspect that i'll have to get used to (which is pretty terrible when it comes to the surfing the net) and the 23" which has me moving my neck a bit, but i'll hope i'll get used to it too.

BUT, there are a few major issues with the thing that is pissing me off:
- At higher black levels there is significant tinting issue in the bottom right corner, regardless of viewing angle (unless I sit in front of the bottom right corner). It presents a noticeable grey area (and also slightly red) at that portion of the screen
- It has big trailing issues (hopefully I won't get it in games, haven't tried out yet).

But as far as i've read around that's as good as it gets and no monitor is perfect.

So, overall, it's a great choice for the casual user with a budget.

E_Cartman April 19, 2011 11:24 AM

Tinting is not backlight bleeding and is actually less noticeable when the room is dark than when the lights are on (still noticeable though). Also you should know that this issue happens only at high black levels.

If you watch movies than you'll probably need the FHD and the size that the U2311H offers.
And if you don't care about aspect ratio, refresh rate or viewing angles, then I can't see a problem.

Contrast ratio wise, for this price range this screen has the best contrast ratio there is.

It is my understanding from your post that you need the 1080p (and you prefer bigger) so I think that the 2209WA 22" (not 1080p - not Full HD) is out of the question. and for this price range (considering you do want an IPS panel for better quality) that's as good as it gets. While it is not perfect, it is very good.
And also remember what I said - "no monitor is perfect", especially considering the fact that i'm very pedantic.

Also there isn't any noticeable trailing in movies or games (from my 1 day experience so don't take that as an absolute saying), but only in windows environment.

Bottom line is that what you have said about personal preference is very true, because when we are talking about "entry level" (on a budget) IPS panels, Dell is as good as it gets, and it's hard to go wrong regardless of what you choose.

I just want to make something clear, while those 2 problems are bugging me, they are considered minor and I believe I would have found minor flaws in any monitor, and are the only 2 issues I have with this screen.

Overall I am pleased with the monitor, and I think that it will suit perfectly for your specific needs.

E_Cartman April 19, 2011 02:42 PM

Alert: DO NOT BUY THE DELL U2311H MONITOR

I REPEAT DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BUY THIS BRAND.

Details later, after i'll smash the screen in the Dell representative's head!

E_Cartman April 19, 2011 05:58 PM

Short story of what happened to me: YouTube - Dell u2311h - locked, laggy and not responding menu Bug

Long story is that the screen was locked and didn't respond, while I tried to unlock it several times, it just got locked back again, and menu took about 60 seconds from the moment I clicked the button in the screen to the moment is shows and then when I chose "Menu" it just disappeared never to be heard from again. Any attempt to change resolution (both windows and games) resulted in a black screen that I needed to wait until the automatic reset to the previous resolution to see a picture. Turning the screen on took more than a minute until a picture was present and power button was responsive once every couple of minutes, even though I tried to turn it off or on many times between those couple of minutes to no avail. Computer restart did not help nor did reconnecting every possible cable on both ends.

After a couple of hours, the thing just went away, but i'm thinking that if that is what I see after just a single day, why shouldn't I encounter it again? I can't take the monitor to Dell because, now, there is nothing to show.

Resolution abilities are terrible, the only resolutions that the monitor can display properly are 1920 x 1080 and 1024 x 768 (for the latter - as good as a 16:9 can preset a 4:3 resolution). 1600 x 900 present a very blurry picture while the 1280 x 1024 preset a squashed, unusable experience.

My conclusion is: While i'm stuck with this crap, STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM IT!

Keywork April 19, 2011 06:26 PM

If I may quote the infamous Ricky from TPB...... "I don't wanna say I toadaso....but I F****N toadaso" haha. Shitty luck though! I hope you get it sorted out. Dell has a pretty solid warranty on most of its monitors so i'm assuming they'll take care of you.

BTW, get some 2209WA's!!!