Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 19, 2011, 11:42 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keywork View Post
If I may quote the infamous Ricky from TPB...... "I don't wanna say I toadaso....but I F****N toadaso" haha. Shitty luck though! I hope you get it sorted out. Dell has a pretty solid warranty on most of its monitors so i'm assuming they'll take care of you.

BTW, get some 2209WA's!!!
Problem is, that now it's ok, so I have nothing to show them, and they won't "take my word for it".
Even if it does happen again, by the time it gets to Dell the thing will just sort itself out again and then they'll come with something like this: "After a thorough examine of your monitor it appears to have no problems".
which actually means: "After we wasted your time, left you with no monitor for a few days, and check the monitor for a WHOLE 1 day, it seems fine".

Damn it that sucks.
Old April 20, 2011, 06:55 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyofmany View Post
4:26 - Watching Transformers at 1080p. He says the monitor does not support 24FPS? Also, there are black bars on the top and bottom. I would have thought with a true HD monitor that those would be gone...

5:11 - Very noticable backlight bleeding happening.
It doesn't "support" 24FPS insofar as it can't set its refresh rate to a multiple of 24 (i.e. 24Hz, 48Hz, 72Hz, etc.) In theory an output of 24FPS would be smoother on a refresh rate that is a multiple of 24. In practice I think the difference will be very difficult to notice.

As for the black bars, movie often shoot at wider aspect ratios than 16:9 - I believe the movie that was playing was shot at 1.85:1 - which results in letterboxing at the top and bottom.

As for backlight bleed, I think all panels at that price point have it to some degree.
Old April 21, 2011, 03:06 PM
Rookie

What that'll happen is that, after hearing my complaints, Dell will want to take the monitor to their lab to test it, and since there is nothing wrong with it, they'll say that it's fine, and i'll end up wasting my time and with a monitor for a couple of days.
While there is a very, very slim chance that they'll find anything, I don't think it's worth not having a monitor and being unable to use the computer for a couple of days.

It is starting to display gray with moving pixels on solid white background.
Also happening on a white background, I don't know what is the term for that, but the monitor is showing small areas flashing that is followed by those pixels described above (the best way I can think of to describe the flashing is that it reminds me of what you see when you refresh a CRT and the whole image is shaking and flashing).

While these sounds as an excellent reason to demand a replacement, the issues are hardly noticeable and i've asked 2 people in my house that I trust their eyes, and they did not see anything wrong, so why should Dell's representative?

I am hoping that those problems will get more serious and hard to ignore (so, but so sad), so I can actually get another monitor from Dell.

Also a large thing which I was very disappointed from is that the only resolution that the monitor can display properly is 1920 x 1080 (any other will result in a blurry and/or distorted image either way it's not usable), while I know that the best resolution display of a monitor is its native, it doesn't seem right that it is the only usable resolution.
Is it just me and means that that the monitor I bought is screwed or that's just how the monitor is?
Old April 28, 2011, 04:24 AM
Rookie

After a few tiering days, I was finally able to contact Dell Israel technical support, and to my great surprise I was not disappointed.

Dell's representative told me that a tech will call me next week to coordinate his time of arrival at my house.

He also said that he'll come with the same monitor and replace it on the spot, without me having to show or prove anything to him.

It was a very pleasant major surprise for me and i'm so happy to see the end.

On the other hand though, words are only words and it remains to be seen if what he told me is entirely true.
The tech for example can tell me to turn it on and say nothing is wrong (because the problem doesn't present itself now, if you read my previous posts), he could come with a different monitor or a monitor that isn't new. I don't know how Dell works back in the states, but here those things happen.

I hope everything will go through as he said it would and I can finally put this behind me.

The only last thing I have to say is - "please mighty lord, please, make the product he brings an issue free one"

I will report as to the final result of this scene...
Old April 28, 2011, 07:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Got both screen, and both are very fine. Yes the 09 is better but any IPS panel will be better than a TN. I would say, wait for the 2311 to be in good rebate and order it. It's doing his job very fine and can sometime be bought for under 200$ If you can afford it, get the 09.

@ E_Cartman, you should stop thinking that because you got 1 deffective unit the whole series is crap...seriously that simply dumb.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old April 28, 2011, 11:46 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
@ E_Cartman, you should stop thinking that because you got 1 deffective unit the whole series is crap...seriously that simply dumb.
I didn't say that, I told people here about my personal experience with the product.
I don't know where or how you got the impression that I have made ANY sort of criticism or advice regarding the series.

Besides, why would I do that??? I never owned any other Dell monitor product, so I cannot either praise or criticism it. Doing that (speaking about something that was never there, such as the entire U series or your comment), is simply dumb, that's correct.
Old April 28, 2011, 11:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Cartman View Post
Alert: DO NOT BUY THE DELL U2311H MONITOR

I REPEAT DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BUY THIS BRAND.

Details later, after i'll smash the screen in the Dell representative's head!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Cartman View Post
I didn't say that, I told people here about my personal experience with the product.
I don't know where or how you got the impression that I have made ANY sort of criticism or advice regarding the series.

Besides, why would I do that??? I never owned any other Dell monitor product, so I cannot either praise or criticism it. Doing that (speaking about something that was never there, such as the entire U series or your comment), is simply dumb, that's correct.
Maybe in the comment where you stated in bold to stay away and do not buy?

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old April 29, 2011, 05:41 AM
Rookie

Don't you think that before I made this comment I checked thoroughly what I wrote?

This "Brand" refers to the U2311H specifically, because I have no reason to include others as I don't know them, so how can I do that???

Maybe the word was a little off (and unintended as English is my second language), and I can't think of any person with the slightest sense of reason that would see otherwise.

Your perception is beyond me, use the little judgement that you have man, before you make those comments.
Old April 29, 2011, 08:48 AM
Rookie

You can't compare forums to technical support where they can legally hold you for every word that comes out of your mouth. Besides, regardless of how you may perceive I chose to express myself, reasonable people can do the math and come to the simple conclusion that I am no expert and only have 1 specific product so even if I would say something about the whole series, it would be baseless.
People who are stupid enough to take and trust my, supposable, unfounded, word on it... well, they never really had a chance to begin with...

Anyway now that this thing is over, back on topic as I refuse to debate this stupid issue any longer, and will not say another word about it, so tease away...

It is hard for me to believe that things will go so smoothly as it sounds, but I will report on whatever the outcome is - next week.

If it would go so smoothly, and I would encounter such a phenomenon, i'll be sure to praise Dell wherever I can.

Last edited by E_Cartman; April 29, 2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old May 1, 2011, 09:54 AM
Rookie

The technician called me today at noon and was at my house within 10 minutes.

He brought a new monitor of the same model, and the same revision and date manufacturing date (REVA02, Mfg: Feb 2011) which was the same as the one I bought and seems to be the latest.

The monitor was replaced because of the initial issue but didn't change anything else, which I considered to be a problem. It turns out that is just how the monitor is - tinting issues are still there for example. But don't get me wrong i'm far from disappointed with it.

The monitor was brand new and came out of the box in front of me.

One thing however is that the new monitor had a slight issue with the power button, that in order for it to work you have to press it a little harder. The tech saw that and ordered another monitor which should come tomorrow. But regardless I can stay with this one it's just a minor issue, more of my pettiness and less of an issue actually.

In conclusion, I am amazed by the level of support that Dell gave me (although it is refereed to as "Dell Israel" it's actually another company, which is originated at Israel, who takes care of Dell's warranty). The tech didn't even check the screen at all and i'm delighted by the speed it went down, and the level of support I received.

I think Dell deserves a big praise for that because it seemed too good to be true, and I owe it to Dell.

Things worked out great in the end and I do want to write about my very positive experience with their technical support. I will be doing that in the appropriate place and in Hebrew as I cannot speak for other countries.

A big thanks to the community for their help.