Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16, 2011, 10:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Confuse with hz and fps

I am a little confused , when I used to be in a return to Enemy Territory clan the main concern was to have a high fps the higher the better which meant to have a good graphics card. Well the other day I was watching a utube video done by Linus , I don't remember exactly what he was advertising but he meantioned that his moniter was 120hz and he said that this meant that the monitor would be able to display 120 fps, when I heard tha tthis made me wonder becasue if your monitor was say 60 hz then it would only be able to display 60fps? that can't be right ..or is it?
Old April 16, 2011, 12:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

On a 60Hz LCD, anything over 60FPS commonly causes "tearing" which is why there's V-Sync to basically cap it at 60FPS to prevent this. This wasn't really an issue with CRTs though back in the day due to different technology of outputting the image to the screen.

So in the same way, 120Hz LCD = 120FPS before tearing becomes an issue.
Old April 16, 2011, 01:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
On a 60Hz LCD, anything over 60FPS commonly causes "tearing" which is why there's V-Sync to basically cap it at 60FPS to prevent this. This wasn't really an issue with CRTs though back in the day due to different technology of outputting the image to the screen.

So in the same way, 120Hz LCD = 120FPS before tearing becomes an issue.
really thats strange because I have played games where my fps is around 300+fps with no tearing.
oh hang on so you are saying that since my LCD Monitor\tv has vsyn then I am still getting the full fps but my LCD won't go over 60 fps? also does hz convert equally into fps.
Not that it actually would matter in the gaming world because I think that the human eye see's something like 35 fps or something like that so as long as it doesn't go below that then there is know real difference?
when I used to plat Enemy territory I would have several different configs one for competition and a few other for different profiles like medic ,engineer or what ever but I would lock my fps at 75 , I used to do the same in COD but now I am not sure if this actually made any difference
Old April 16, 2011, 03:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Tearing seems to be very game dependent and only at certain parts...

V-Sync is not enabled by default though. It's an option either in-game or in your GPU's control panel.

60Hz = 60 screen refreshes per second which basically translates directly to frames per second. I'm pretty sure you have tearing at 300FPS on a 60Hz monitor, but perhaps you aren't playing anything with quick motion changes or you simply don't notice it.
Old April 16, 2011, 04:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hehe shows you how much I know about graphics cards , I have never really touched any settings on my graphics card just because I am not sure what allot of it does, who knows I might be missing allot of features.
Old April 16, 2011, 04:20 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
...this made me wonder because if your monitor was say 60 hz then it would only be able to display 60fps? that can't be right ..or is it?

That is correct. 60hz displays are only able to truly display 60fps. Like Linus said, a 120hz monitor will be able to display 120fps. When I game I run with vsync on bc there is no point in the gpu rendering more frames than the display is able to err.. display. If I had a 120hz display and had vsync enabled the frames would be capped at 120fps.

Last edited by Phill; April 16, 2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old April 16, 2011, 10:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

But like you said, human's can only see about 30FPS. IMO it's the minimum FPS numbers that count. Averages and maxes don't really matter. If you drop below 30FPS though, it's pretty visible that it's not running fluidly.
Old April 16, 2011, 11:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Tearing seems to be very game dependent and only at certain parts...

V-Sync is not enabled by default though. It's an option either in-game or in your GPU's control panel.

60Hz = 60 screen refreshes per second which basically translates directly to frames per second. I'm pretty sure you have tearing at 300FPS on a 60Hz monitor, but perhaps you aren't playing anything with quick motion changes or you simply don't notice it.
I would think the further you get away from 60 the less noticable it would be. I've only noticed tearing on one of my monitors I've had. I keep vsync off in valve games, I get a weird lag otherwise.

But yes, the 3D LCD's can do 120hz, so ultimately more fps. I doubt the different is noticeable though.

Pretty cool example of 15, 30 and 60 fps.
15 FPS vs. 30 FPS vs. 60 FPS - A Visual Comparison