Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 2, 2011, 06:09 AM
Top Prospect

Got this sucker hooked up on Saturday, right out of the box, the image & colour on this thing are fantastic! Very happy. I had put off LCD for years, was still using a 21 in Viewsonic CRT (that thing weighed 60 lbs- no kidding - I actually had to fabricate a brace for my computer desk to hold it). The only thing that I would change on this ASUS is that retro red stripe, but certainly not a deal breaker.
RAM - Mushkin HP2 6400 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2
HDD - Western Digital Caviar 640GB SATAII (x3)
MONITOR - Asus PA246Q, 24.1" LCD P-IPS Professional Monitor
PSU - PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad Crossfire 750W
CASE - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Ultimate Gamer Case
HEATSINK -Xigmatek HDT S1283
SOUND CARD - AuzenTech X-PLOSION Cinema 7.1 DTS

OS - Vista Home Premium 64BIT

Old May 6, 2011, 02:51 PM
Trial Member

I too grabbed one of these at Canada Computers during the sale. Unfortunately I'm having problems with my panel. It jiggles vertically on occasion and sometimes shuts off and on quickly. It does it during a variety of tasks and usually only acts up for a few seconds and then its good for a while. I've got only this display hooked up through DVI. Asus tech support gave me instructions that don't seem to do anything.

She said:

-In this situation, please press Splendid key on LCD about 3 seconds.
-If it is not helpful, please enter OSD>Image>Focus and adjust Phase and Clock for a test.

For one, the splendid key does nothing if you hold it for 3 seconds. And for two, advanced options in the image menu are not selectable, even in "user mode". Can anybody with an Asus monitor enlighten me as to where I'm going wrong? :)

Edit: I have a feeling these are tricks for analog connections... Even though I told her I'm using DVI. Lost in translation :/

If I can get the gremlins out, I'll buy a second one for a dually setup... As soon as NCIX puts them on special that is. Speaking of which -> Linus, your un-boxing of this monitor was fantastic.

Last edited by AdamYYZ; May 6, 2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old May 8, 2012, 08:36 AM
Trial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordken View Post
Hi Sky,

Thanks for the review! Its first english review I could find on google, seems nobody did test this monitor yet :(
Did you notice any sound coming from monitor ?
I really want to buy this monitor but was put back a bit by one review which mentioned that there was buzzing sound coming out of monitor almost all the time, independent of brightness setting.
And second negative point was that monitor is always quite bright even with brightness set to 0 , so it glows a lot in dark room/night. And therefore also have weaker black.
Brightness not an issue, but mine buzzes (makes a humming sound) all the time regardless of brightness setting. Thinking about returning it.
Old May 8, 2012, 10:38 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamYYZ View Post
I too grabbed one of these at Canada Computers during the sale. Unfortunately I'm having problems with my panel. It jiggles vertically on occasion and sometimes shuts off and on quickly. It does it during a variety of tasks and usually only acts up for a few seconds and then its good for a while. I've got only this display hooked up through DVI. Asus tech support gave me instructions that don't seem to do anything.

She said:

-In this situation, please press Splendid key on LCD about 3 seconds.
-If it is not helpful, please enter OSD>Image>Focus and adjust Phase and Clock for a test.

For one, the splendid key does nothing if you hold it for 3 seconds. And for two, advanced options in the image menu are not selectable, even in "user mode". Can anybody with an Asus monitor enlighten me as to where I'm going wrong? :)

Edit: I have a feeling these are tricks for analog connections... Even though I told her I'm using DVI. Lost in translation :/

If I can get the gremlins out, I'll buy a second one for a dually setup... As soon as NCIX puts them on special that is. Speaking of which -> Linus, your un-boxing of this monitor was fantastic.
First thing I would try is a different cable AND a different port on the gpu. Could be as simple as a bad cable / faulty pin / faulty port.

IF that doesnt work...call em back and escalate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoogemonkey View Post
Brightness not an issue, but mine buzzes (makes a humming sound) all the time regardless of brightness setting. Thinking about returning it.
Is the monitor hooked up to a UPS? If not it could be dirty power playing hob with the monitor. IF it is....talk to em and see if you can RMA it as it shouldnt buzz or hum.

Hope that helps guys.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 8, 2012, 05:35 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I've been looking at getting a new monitor for a while now and I really like the Asus and Dell ips. How are they for gaming?
Old May 8, 2012, 06:20 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Decent choice for gaming...not great but decent. PLS tech like the Sammy 27" is better for gaming but not as good colors or gamut (or default settings)...so it all depends on what the main priority is.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr