Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11, 2011, 07:24 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Yup. My eyes are VERY good for picking up image issues like ghosting, motion judder, contrast, saturation, etc. However, I just don't notice all that much of a difference with the 2233RZ or even the Acer GD235HZ. I have both and the issues they both exhibit far outweigh the experience with 120Hz.
Old April 11, 2011, 07:26 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkUltra View Post
So, you're used to a 6ms NEC panel for gaming... How about using a 120Hz "3D ready" TN panel for a few days? Make sure you get 120fps with fraps in games and windows. The 3d monitor reviewers all rave about how 120hz+fps makes Windows much smoother and 3d games feel more solid. The cursor is also very precise and responsive in 120hz.

I tried an lg w2363d and it was like day and night compared to my old crt at 85hz. If they make this 24" 16-10 IPS monitor 120hz compatible with zero input lag it would be perfect!
Sure the operative word there being 120 frames per second. Exactly how much horsepower would need to routinely get 120fps in all new major games with the eye candy turned up @ native 1920x1200 res (other wise...why bother as the games will look like crap)? I know my 580 cant do it.

As the old saying goes YMMV but I will take a killer 60hz panel with killer colours and decent gaming abilites over a one trick pony like a TN 120hz. Now with that being said (and like Sky said) give me BOTH 120hz + IPS and that would be one monster of a monitor! Hopefully one day we will see such a beast unleashed on the "unsuspecting" public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
User mode allows for individual hue and saturation calibration of primaries and secondaries?
Yup. Whereas the other modes are much more limited in their various abilities.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 11, 2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
The difference in gaming between 60Hz and 120Hz is nil to you Sky? We must have a completely different set of eyes. I had the 2233RZ for a short while before I returned it due to horrible backlight bleed and horrible viewing angles (even compared to other TN panels, 120Hz panels seem to be worse off), but as a pure gaming monitor, the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz was staggering. Even moving the mouse and windows around on the desktop was much smoother compared to 60Hz.
I agree with you and I also agree with SKYMTL in this case. 60Hz vs 120Hz is absolutely night & day for me. There aren't many incremental PC upgrades where I would get a blind taste test correct 100% of the time, but HDD to SSD is one of them, and 60Hz to 120Hz is another one. 120Hz is awesome.

That said, I would never sacrifice size/resolution (30" at home for personal use) and colour depth for 120Hz. 3D is not enough of a selling point to me personally on modern LCDs (although it's phenomenal on the Acer DLP projector I used in one of my recent videos) with their slow response times to get past those shortcomings of the 120Hz products on the market today.

Of the ones I've used, I'd say the Acer one with the orange stand or the BenQ one with all the bells & whistles (height adjust, pivot, etc) get my pick, but I'd still spend the extra and get a nice VA or IPS panel if it was for personal use...

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old April 11, 2011, 09:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Yup. Whereas the other modes are much more limited in their various abilities.
Nice. So it's a true professional monitor, not a wannabe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I agree with you and I also agree with SKYMTL in this case. 60Hz vs 120Hz is absolutely night & day for me. There aren't many incremental PC upgrades where I would get a blind taste test correct 100% of the time, but HDD to SSD is one of them, and 60Hz to 120Hz is another one. 120Hz is awesome.
Yes, I still definitely agree with Sky that the pros of other panel tech aren't worth giving up for the shortcomings of 120Hz TN.

Funny, though, how the 120Hz TN screens seem to be worse off than the better of the standard TN screens. Poor viewing angles, backlight bleed, etc. are all enhanced with the 120Hz models, at least of the ones of tried and have seen in reviews. Total bummer. If I could get a non-bleeding 120Hz screen with viewing angles akin to the "best" TN can offer, I'd definitely get that 120Hz screen. Unfortunately, I have a feeling I'll be waiting until IPS gets fast enough or OLED goes mainstream, both of which could take some time. Maybe at least one of the new 120Hz TN's will address the issues I speak of. Not getting my hopes up, though.
Old April 11, 2011, 11:55 PM
Rookie

Red pin striping = Canon L lenses
Old April 12, 2011, 01:53 AM
MVP

Rulers on the side and a red racing stripe on 1920x1200 IPS display? Pimping. Old school. Top of the line Asus. Another piece of my future rig has been chosen.
Old April 13, 2011, 08:15 AM
MVP

Still would love to see a comparison to U2410. From what I hear, Dell's monitors are top notch.

Video: 2x R9 290 @ 1050 / 1375 | ASUS VG248QE |

Audio: STX => Audioengine A5 / audio technica AD700X
Old April 13, 2011, 12:39 PM
Trial Member

Hi Sky,

Thanks for the review! Its first english review I could find on google, seems nobody did test this monitor yet :(
Did you notice any sound coming from monitor ?
I really want to buy this monitor but was put back a bit by one review which mentioned that there was buzzing sound coming out of monitor almost all the time, independent of brightness setting.
And second negative point was that monitor is always quite bright even with brightness set to 0 , so it glows a lot in dark room/night. And therefore also have weaker black.

Can you comment on those two things please?

personally i'm deciding between hp zr24w and pa246q, its quite hard choice for me, the 100euro difference in price isnt the problem if asus performs that better
Old April 13, 2011, 01:14 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Our test sample does not make any noise. It is dead silent.

At a brightness of 0 it produces about 108nits (IIRC, been awhile since I played with it...but 108 rings home, but it might have been a touch higher or lower...cant remember precisely). That is a touch bright for ZERO...but well below what it is required (120nits) for its intended niche. IF you need a monitor that goes down to like 80 or less...this is not the monitor for you.

Hope that helps.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 29, 2011, 12:09 PM
Top Prospect

Hey, just thought I'd let the powers that be know that I just purchased one of these ($469.00 at Canada Computers) mostly based on this review and comment thread... as well as the "Let's talk 27" monitors" thread, which put my mind back to the 24. Will hook it up this weekend!
RAM - Mushkin HP2 6400 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2
HDD - Western Digital Caviar 640GB SATAII (x3)
MONITOR - Asus PA246Q, 24.1" LCD P-IPS Professional Monitor
PSU - PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad Crossfire 750W
CASE - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Ultimate Gamer Case
HEATSINK -Xigmatek HDT S1283
SOUND CARD - AuzenTech X-PLOSION Cinema 7.1 DTS

OS - Vista Home Premium 64BIT